Default Ice Axe and Microspikes in the San Jacinto's?

I am starting my thru hike from Campo on April 6, and looking forward to the adventure that this incredibly high snow year will bring. While there isn't a definitive answer to this question at this point, as we do not know how much snow will melt in the coming weeks, will an ice axe and microspikes likely be necessary in the San Jacinto Mountains this year? Are there areas in this section where a fall could be dangerous enough to warrant this extra equipment. While I'd like to avoid picking up the extra weight, I want to make sure I am prepared to hike this section relatively safely. Obviously, I will make a final decision before leaving Idyllwild, and if unneeded I could then mail my snow gear up to Kennedy Meadows from there, but I would like to avoid the cost of an extra usps flat rate if this seems needless.
    -Achilles
    AT '12

If you have opted for shoes that have solid traction that have cants in good condition when you arrive at this point and are solid walking on snow on trails I wouldn't bring an ice axe over San Jacinto on the PCT. It's not death defying. Most PCTers don't pick up micro spikes or added traction devices and ice axe until KM. This yr with your start date if anticipating a solid run from the get go at low to high 20 mph avgs I'd say either 1) have micro spikes for ascent of Baden Powell or 2) take the alternate which Halfmile has on his PCT maps. With the thawing refreezing cycle on the shaded north side of Baden Powell on the steepish switchbacks itrail can be entirely obscured with very slippery iced one deep snow cups.

there are two alternates that I know of. One is a shortish steepish ascent from Idyllwild on a hiking trail I'd want to have micros for if snow covered and icy and the other is a 2 wd capable in clear road conditions FS road that begins outside of idyl wild and reconnects to the PCT about 3/mile past the SJ PCT summit. The road walk I did from a SJ PCT closure from a forest fire. pros and cons about almost everything. This yrs conditions shouldn't have that many closures from fire when you're going through and the extra snowpack makes for easy H2O finding. Try to time segments that you know are holding snow for the cooler morning or otherwise cooler hrs so you don't post hole as often. If night hiking in such conditions I would find GPS necessary.

Waking up early for the snow is definitely the plan, and similarly for any serious stream crossings. I doubt I'll do any significant night hiking in the snow, as I have no problem going to sleep once the sun is down, and I'd rather avoid buying a GPS. I'm happy to use a map and compass instead.
    -Achilles
    AT '12

I'm happy to use a map and compass instead.

Me too. There are times though when one may not want to navigate solely by dead reckoning by compass that a GPS can be a useful way to supplementally or primarily navigate. In the forest with little to no sign of trail with 6 ft snow depths all around postholing one's arse off, no snowshoes or skis, and no long lines of sight a GPS can serve one well particularly when in a thru-hiker get er dun gotta go got go go go mindset.

I'll have my cell phone (with a solar charger and backup battery) for those moments as well.

++ New Posts ++