Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cooking.

Default Cooking.

So ive decided to go with a completely new kit.

I used alcohol on the CT, used jetboil on AT.

Would a wood stove be possible on the PCT? Im trying to stay as light as posssible. Looking for some advice. honestly dont really like the jetboil much. had some issues with alcohol at high altitudes.

Which alcohol set up did you use?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Aluminum can.

Cool. I am trying to figure out which set up to try. I have been using a jetboil but it's heavy.

The jetboil is pretty damn convenient, theres some things i dont particularly enjoy about it

Me too. Mine came with the coffee press and I have found it to be more of a problem.

Honestly wish a hot meal for dinner and coffee in the morning diddnt mean so much to me.

I'm starting with an alcohol stove and then picking up my wood burning stove at Kennedy Meadows. I'll likely have some overlap to make sure I'm happy with the switch, before sending the alcohol stove home. I asked some friends of mine who thru hiked the PCT a few years back this same question. The consensus was that while a wood stove would likely be possible for the whole PCT (if you carried sticks to your desert campsites), it would likely be more enjoyable and easier to start with the wood stove at Kennedy Meadows. It sounds like a wood stove in the desert would often involve gathering a bundle of sticks along the way, to ensure you have enough fuel when you reach your campsite.

what kind of wood stove you using Achilles?

Firefly by Qiwiz http://qiwiz.net/stoves.html
    I've used it for some smaller trips and had a lot of success with it. I really like that you can cook a burger or small steak on it if you get the grill attachment, which is a nice treat coming out of a town. It packs down to almost the size of a standard envelope, and couldn't be much lighter.
    -Achilles
    AT '12

ill look into it thanks.

Images

Check with the PCT folks, if there are burn bans (common in the West in summer) they often include wood burning stoves (or any stove without an "off" switch).
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I believe you would be able to find fuel the entire way. Just be careful, there have been a few fires started by PCT hikers?
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Im here looking for advice on cooking options. Not how to properly start and put out a fire. I appreciate your concern though.

I was hoping because of the snow year the west was having maybe bans wont be as bad. I will always bring a dry meal with me for the just in case moments.

Images

Nobody is judging your ability. If there happens to be a fire ban it might affect certain kinds of stoves, possibly for hundreds of miles of trail. Me, I'd want to consider that. Here's a link:

http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-tra...y-basics/fire/
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

GAME 06

Hey Wooobie

My twist on this is that I used to use a variety of stoves from MSR's to basic alcohol ones. But I have gone stoveless now for some years. I used to love a hot cup in the morning and like everyone pretty much I made some Lipton side or Ramen dish for dinner. But I decided on one trip to go stoveless and see what it was like. I have never turned back.

It is soooo much easier and the food is just as good (to me anyway). Even though I could not get through a day at home without my morning coffee or three on the trail I never miss it. I get to carry more weight in food which is nice so I carry nicer food than I ever did when I cooked. I can eat quicker and have no clean up or worry over getting sick because I can't really clean my cooking gear.

I see people eating ramen and noddles now and say to myself thank God I don't have to eat that stuff anymore.

You might give it a try and see if you like it. I know quite a few folks now who no longer carry stoves.

Was the alchohol too volatile/flashy at altitude, or do you think it was the cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Wooobie View Post
    So ive decided to go with a completely new kit.

I used alcohol on the CT, used jetboil on AT.

Would a wood stove be possible on the PCT? Im trying to stay as light as posssible. Looking for some advice. honestly dont really like the jetboil much. had some issues with alcohol at high altitudes.

Wyoming, it is tempting and i do think about it sometimes. I dont know if im ready for that one yet. im pretty UL in general and make sacrifices in a lot of places. I dont know if i could forgo my hot meal.

Alldownhill, Im honestly not sure, i wouldnt say it was volatile i simply couldnt get a flame and heat up meals.. i just dont think it was putting out enough. for most the CT i diddnt have any issues at all, there were a few nights up high that i just couldnt get it going.

Aside from fire bans which might not be too much of an issue this year, wood stoves have their own issues. Some good, some bad. I mostly find them to be a PITA to deal with. Unless you already have some experience with them in the field, you should get some before committing to one. It's not much extra to also carry an alcohol stove and some fuel for when using the wood stove isn't practical.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++