WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by frontovik193 View Post
    I use wal-Mart brand knockoff crocs. They are extremely light compared to crocs and cost 7 dollars.

I bought a set myself. Very light. Hope Walmart doesn't improve them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    I bought a set myself. Very light. Hope Walmart doesn't improve them.
    Interesting you quote $7 at Wally World. In Hawaii and in some places in Florida and California Wally Worlds vend $6-9 REEF Walkers that I've weighed in the upper 2 to low 3 oz range. They are like slippers with an all fabric ultra breathable upper and nothing but a soled bologna skinned sole with some minor tread(think slippers).

While it's nice to have camp shoes if you're a camper type hiker to air out feet something different to change into I'm going to say they are no solution to blisters.

My camp shoes are Nike Zoom Streak LT running shoes that are very light at about 7.4 ounces. The shoe is basically a nylon mesh so that it can dry quickly. They compress well and could be a temporary replacement for hiking boots or shoes. On the trail I've also worn them as shower shoes at Fontana Dam. During my summer kayaking trips I use them as my water shoe as they hold no water and dry quickly. Here's a link to ones that I've just purchased, but I am still using my older pair. http://www.footlocker.com/product/mo...reak-lt-3-mens

After a long day of hiking you need to release the dogs...

I carry camp shoes that I could backpack in if necessary. Generally 'water shoes', designed for rafters I think. Have carried Tevas in the past, those are good too. Needs to be sturdy. Not a time to count grams. Just take what you need, make up weight somewhere else, IMO.

Perfect for putting your feet up and reading a newspaper. 16 ounces of bliss

IMG_0020.JPG

Journal Entries
    Images

There are two I recommend. I don't hike without camp shoes. My feet are priceless!

Dawgs Ultralight - Pair is about 5-6oz

Walmart Wrangler Sandals - Pair is 12oz
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Interesting you quote $7 at Wally World. In Hawaii and in some places in Florida and California Wally Worlds vend $6-9 REEF Walkers that I've weighed in the upper 2 to low 3 oz range. They are like slippers with an all fabric ultra breathable upper and nothing but a soled bologna skinned sole with some minor tread(think slippers).

While it's nice to have camp shoes if you're a camper type hiker to air out feet something different to change into I'm going to say they are no solution to blisters.
    The ones I have are like extra light crocs.

Always nice to have a pair of something to air your feet off.

Update: I'm NOT bringing a pair of dollar store flip flops this time around. I found on the last thru attempt they really hurt my feet and were so uncomfortable when headed to the Privy (aka woods) at night that my feet were screaming at me to go barefoot. So I just picked up a pair of these $10 Walmart memory foam flip flops. They're not much diffence in weight and holy crap these are comfy! Gotta let the dogs air out after all that abuse!
    - Trail name: Thumper

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    There are two I recommend. I don't hike without camp shoes. My feet are priceless!

Dawgs Ultralight - Pair is about 5-6oz

Walmart Wrangler Sandals - Pair is 12oz
    The dawgs depend on size, I just received the mens 10-11 and they are 8.4oz. Just a heads up for anyone looking into them.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by bkristynicole View Post
    I have everything I need... My base weight is ~13lbs. Now I am thinking about camp shoes... I wasn't planning on bringing any (I am wearing trail runners), but thinking about blisters, talking about blisters, having great fears of blisters (I have a dark past with blisters) has got me thinking about camp shoes...

Are you bringing camp shoes? Why or why not? What kinds? What that kind or brand. Discussion commence. My start date is April 3rd.
    I may be too late for you, but not for others. I always bring camp shoes. While many people are fine with flip flops, I like something that protects my toes as I stumble around if it was a rough hiking day. For that reason, I carry Crocs (actually, a knock-off version that weighs 3 ounces....). They are a favorite of mine!

Bring something. I just sectioned last week, so I didn't see any need for "camp" shoes. But the couple days spent in town I was really envious of everyone walking around in clean, comfy, airy shoes while I was lugging my damp trail runners around town. On future hikes I'm bringing something.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I used to carry water shoes such as kayakers wear. As I move into old age I find I need more arch support and heel cushion and have switched to Crocs. I mistrust the lighter knockoffs, because I've had trips where I've gone miles in the Crocs, generally because the trail was that wet (thank you, Castor canadensis!) If someone has real experience comparing durability, I'd like to hear about it.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I tried boat shoes and flip-flops, not for camp shoes per se, but for river crossings. No, I don't want to do it in trail runners. Most streams I crossed barefoot last year but that got a little hairy in a couple of places. I found a pair of old-school jelly shoes for $5 at Walmart and they are exactly what I needed and was looking for to use for river crossings.

Since I am not on the AT I tend to walk around barefoot at camp

I'm bringing a pair of Teva sandals to Wyoming. I crossed streams last year in my hiking shoes. Sorry, all day in wet shoes and socks is a drag.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I have everything I need... My base weight is ~13lbs. Now I am thinking about camp shoes... I wasn't planning on bringing any (I am wearing trail runners), but thinking about blisters, talking about blisters, having great fears of blisters (I have a dark past with blisters) has got me thinking about camp shoes...

Are you bringing camp shoes? Why or why not? What kinds? What that kind or brand. Discussion commence. My start date is April 3rd.
    I will not make the case for or against dedicated separate camp shoes. However I will assert deciding on carrying dedicated camp shoes should be addressed considering several reasons of which maybe the least is blister management and prevention. Wearing camp shoes is prolly not the way you want to address blister concerns. Once blisters form you're addressing the symptom of something and not the potential causes. Deciding on bringing and using camp shoes shouldn't primarily revolve around fear of blisters. This is another topic altogether but it should be understood blisters should be addressed proactively before hot spots develop into blisters.

Feet can be aired out - umm, aired out - without the need for camp shoes. Most on other trails do exactly this. Do so at stops during the day, proactively tending to hot spots, rinsing feet, changing into dry socks, applying anti friction salves/creams/ and moisturizers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    ...For taking showers in greasy athlete foot cubicles, I remove the liners from my shoes(trail runners) and slip 2 elastic bands over each foot. Works like a bomb.
    It can be this simple. No extra dedicated "camps shoes" required.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I will not make the case for or against dedicated separate camp shoes. However I will assert deciding on carrying dedicated camp shoes should be addressed considering several reasons of which maybe the least is blister management and prevention. Wearing camp shoes is prolly not the way you want to address blister concerns. Once blisters form you're addressing the symptom of something and not the potential causes. Deciding on bringing and using camp shoes shouldn't primarily revolve around fear of blisters. This is another topic altogether but it should be understood blisters should be addressed proactively before hot spots develop into blisters.

Feet can be aired out - umm, aired out - without the need for camp shoes. Most on other trails do exactly this. Do so at stops during the day, proactively tending to hot spots, rinsing feet, changing into dry socks, applying anti friction salves/creams/ and moisturizers, etc.

It can be this simple. No extra dedicated "camps shoes" required.
    Just for clarity, I was talking mostly about water shoes, which for me double as camp shoes, and relating experience from a two-week hike during which I doubt I was able to keep my feet dry for more than half an hour at a time when on the move. I adopted the "just let the feet get wet" program, because the only dry-foot alternative would have been a pair of calked knee boots. The mainstay of blister/maceration prevention was a waterproofing salve - I used Gurney Goo on that trip. In those conditions, hiking in Crocs for short periods starts to look reasonable. Kayak shoes simply would have fallen apart over the distances I was putting on the Crocs. (I might still bring lighter water shoes if it's just for an occasional ford and use in camp.)

There were also quite a number of times during that trip that I was putting on clean(er) socks still wet. I was washing a pair at just about every stop. They would still be wet, but at least they wouldn't be full of grit. It was really unpleasant to walk about squelching in wet socks and trail runners, and a mile or three in Crocs would be a welcome change.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Hear good things about Xero Cloud Barefoot Sandal. Very light.

I try to pack UL as well and have done a few sections through VA without camp shoes, but man do I wish I had them.

Definitely worth the weight for a pair of sandals or light crocs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++