WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Question To be or Not To Be... In Camp Shoes

I have everything I need... My base weight is ~13lbs. Now I am thinking about camp shoes... I wasn't planning on bringing any (I am wearing trail runners), but thinking about blisters, talking about blisters, having great fears of blisters (I have a dark past with blisters) has got me thinking about camp shoes...

Are you bringing camp shoes? Why or why not? What kinds? What that kind or brand. Discussion commence. My start date is April 3rd.

Your feet need to be aired out often. Living in damp shoes for the best part of 6 months brings a host of potential problems. Flip flops are cheap, protective, easy to clean and light. On hot days you will love them. On cold days maybe not. You can use them in public showers.

So far I've decided to skip them. Might add cheap flip flops in hot weather and may add something more substantial up north with the large river crossings. Crocs seem to be the go to but are heavy. I'll use these if I decide I need them: https://www.usadawgs.com/collections...rit-shoes-bksp

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hyperhiker View Post
    So far I've decided to skip them. Might add cheap flip flops in hot weather and may add something more substantial up north with the large river crossings. Crocs seem to be the go to but are heavy. I'll use these if I decide I need them: https://www.usadawgs.com/collections...rit-shoes-bksp

I have a pair of those. Got 'em at Walgreens. Very lightweight. Adequate for stream crossings and walking around camp. Inexpensive.

I use Teva Mush flip-flops for camp shoes. Best combination of lightweight/durability that I've found.

RE: camp shoes Stream crossings. This is non-issue except for a few fords in Northern Maine. (And if you're wearing trail runners, you can ford in those. Take off socks, take out insoles.)
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

I like those Tevas.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I used to be against camp shoes as unnecessary since I was already wearing trail runners that were easy to slip on and off in camp. That opinion changed when I discovered that walking all day through mud on the trail makes you NOT want to put said trail runners back on when you get up in the middle of the night. I bought a pair of crocs at the next town and eventually got a pair of 6oz (total) flip flops from walmart to use as camp shoes.

I'm taking some dollar store flip flops. Nice and light and something to wear for that midnight stroll to the privy, but mainly for hostel showers and motels.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    mainly for hostel showers and motels.
    That is not a bad thought either, especially for hostels. The one's I've been in were not going to receive any awards for cleanliness...

Crocs. Many people are haters (I myself used to be one), but that's just cause they haven't tried them. As TTT says, your feet need airflow, and damp trail runners don't cut it.

I tried a pair of toe shoes all the way through Maine (mostly I thought they would be better for stream crossings), then ditched them for Crocs. It's what all the other hikers were doing, so I figured I might as well jump off the bridge, too! Very glad I did. Plus, one pair will hold up significantly longer than the Walgreens flip-flops.
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-
    Mountaineers are always free

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I have a pair of those. Got 'em at Walgreens. Very lightweight. Adequate for stream crossings and walking around camp. Inexpensive.
    Walmart sells something similar. Extremely lightweight.

I gave up on camp shoes after switching to trail runners. Before that I'd carried moccasins, Crocs, or boat shoes.

Nice to have but not that hard to live without.

Images

I tried going without camp shoes after switching to trail runners, but went back to using them. Light flip flops in the summer, my original Waldies rubber clogs the other three seasons. I like to be able to let my feet and my shoes air out, and when my hiking shoes are soaking wet and I have nice dry socks on, I'd rather slip them into dry clogs than my soaking wet trail runners to go use the facilities.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

There are some items that are controversial for carrying in a thru hike. Camp shoes is one of them. I hiked the same trail once with crocks and once without.
    Pros and cons have been equally arguable. You can go without it and if you find you need one then buy it when you pass a town or carry it and if you find it unnecessary then ditch it when you find a proper place to get rid of it.

Im leaning toward taking an extra pair if shoes. I will be starting in sandals but in case of hot spots or blisters I think I want a pair of shoes that fit diffetently.

In Oct I went out of town for the weekend with only one pair of shoes. I got a hot spot and bandaids wiyldnt stay put. Fortunately i was able to limit walking.

Images

I use wal-Mart brand knockoff crocs. They are extremely light compared to crocs and cost 7 dollars.

I used Crocs for a 600 mile section, probably will again when I continue. Might have to check out those lighter weight Walmart knock offs.

Images

These Croc knockoffs are much lighter that the real Crocs. They are Aah! Comfort. Men's size 12 weigh in a 9 oz. The real Crocs men's size 12 weigh in at 14 oz. They are well made and are great for stream crossings and at night. They are 12.95 + $3.95 at Amazon. The Amazon link is:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YQGK1IA...FY6?th=1&psc=1

Happy Trails...Happy Feet!

Many threads on this topic.

Vivobarefoot, Dawgs, Crocs, diy.

Camp shoes are a nice luxury item, but not a necessity.

If you spend a good amount of time in camp, you'll use them alot.

I'm not against them, I bring them on wet trails like the Long Trail where the moisture can do bad stuff to your feet.

The lightweight alternative is to bring some bread bags. Put on camp socks. And if you need to walk around out bread bags over said socks and put them in wet nasty hiking shoes.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I received my Sorel slippers today. Weight for weight they are the same a flip flops, but have an imitation wool inner. Super cosy. blister on the heel friendly, and not too nerdy. Can wear them into town without looking like a dork. The cool thing is I believe I can keep a small water bottle, cap first, inside them to stop it freezing (that's the theory) They also compact very well.
    For taking showers in greasy athlete foot cubicles, I remove the liners from my shoes and slip 2 elastic bands over each foot. Works like a bomb.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++