WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Just an FYI Caution: Bear encounter at Brown Mountain Creek Shelter, VA 2/24/17

I had a bear encounter on 3 different occasions between 9:30 pm and !:30 AM on 2/24-2/25/17. I was at the site directly to the left of the shelter if you are looking right at it. Temps were around hi 50's to mid 60's at that time. My tent was the only only one there and there were two other hikers sleeping the shelter. I did report it to the GWNF, ATC via an incident report, and the Glendale-Pedlar ranger station. Be extra cautious there as trash was evident and untidy fire pits. In 30 years of camping I have never had an issue like this even when there was some trash around form time to time. It was evident they were around by the looks of the tree bark. Recommend carrying bear spray and use your bear bags at night. I was not injured but very close call, keep your heads on the swivel and enjoy the outdoors!

Images

Could you give a couple of details about what made it a very close call. Did the bear just come sniffing around or did it tear into your tent?
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

on a hike last spring I saw a bear near that shelter, further north at humpback rocks, and multiple near lambert meadows (tinker/mcafee area). They weren't aggressive, but none were afraid either.
    Was a bit surprised to see so many

It did not tear into the tent but was close enough I would here it breathing and snorting. The second time it was not as close as the first, but none the less very nerve racking, the third time was the deal breaker with loud roars, I got out of there fast. I did speak to some degree letting it know I was human, but as the man mentioned below, it showed zero fear of humans.

Next time bring a cherry bomb firecracker. No more bear problem.

Carl

Black bears around a tent huffing puffing and sniffing? Glad U made it out alive. It can be kind of nerve racking but think if you were 300 lbs and just woke up from a several month sleep...HUNGRY and had a SUPER KEEN sense of smell 7X greater than a Bloodhounds and HUMAN BEHAVIOR CREATED INQUISITIVE YUMMY SMELLS where you camped?

"Looking at a black bear's head, it's obvious that they have a very large nose. The area inside a black bear's nose, called the nasal mucosa, is 100 times greater than ours. This large nose results in an excellent sense of smell! Even bloodhounds, dogs so famous for their sense of smell that they're used to track missing people, don't smell as well a black bear. It is estimated that black bears' sense of smell is about seven times greater than a bloodhound's."

It's NOT a bear problem It's a human problem. The bear is just doing what it knows to do...eat...by investigating smells. When a dog sniffs your leg do you say that's a dog problem?

Journal Entries

Sounds like bear was checking you out.
    Its allowed to do that. Your in its home. Not vice versa.
    Not all bears run like scared little girls.

Here's the thing....Bear don't care. Bear has no natural predator. Bear is at top of food chain. Bear is king of the AT.

Anyone who is poo-poo'ing a bear hanging around a shelter or established campsite is foolish. A group of bears in close proximity to a shelter that show no fear of humans and won't leave is a big issue. Why? Because. Bear. Don't. Care.
    Bear don't care if he hurts you, bear only cares about his next meal. And getting laid. In that order.

So, I'm glad OP made it out unscathed. These bears are likely going to be relocated and/or the shelter shut down...

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    Next time bring a cherry bomb firecracker. No more bear problem.

Carl
    Is that lit before or after exiting the tent?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Is that lit before or after exiting the tent?
    After. You throw it in the tent hoping it catches on fire and distracts the bear(s) as you run through the forest...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Bear don't care if he hurts you, bear only cares about his next meal. And getting laid. In that order.
    Bear has his priorities ass-backwards

Thanks for the heads up OP.

Images

The bear hunt clubs are very active in this area. They run their dogs in Sept. and tree 1-3 bears each night. I have been there when they treed a bear nearby and talked with them. When and if they kill a bear their hunting season is over and they like the chase more than the kill. That being said the bears in this area "should " have a great fear of humans but maybe just dogs! You will not get any sleep if they tree a bear anywhere near you.

++ New Posts ++