WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Granite VC 60 - great buy?

I just received yesterday a new GG VC 60 for $159.99, free ground shipping.
    I clicked a link online, LuggageFactory.com was on the receipt.

I have been 'kinda' looking and am pretty sure the pack was about as LOW as you can find?? Correct me if I am wrong--fine, burst my 'bubble.'

NOW...I have NO idea if pack is 2015, 2016...nor do I care. I am a proverbial 'ham n' egger.' I am the guy who would show up to 5K's with beat-up sneakers and an old GRATEFUL DEAD shirt and run a 21:00, whereas the guy next to me with a $300 running outfit would scoff...and finish behind...while I drank a BUD CAN. In my world, it's not about the 'look' but the LOVE <--hah..waxing philosophically

Whatever...maybe someone else would be diggin the price.
    (YES...that is a HOCKEY stick shaft...all I had in my truck! actually, the tape knob was comfy and the stick worked pretty well for reaching arms up and stretching the ol' back out!)

Just got the same deal. long Crown VC60 Long 159.00 same place. Just arrived yesterday

Images

I paid $159.99 for mine during Black Friday week of 2015. I really like the pack.

I've done two section hikes on the AT using the GG Crown VC 60 and I love it. I've tried the Osprey AG 65 and the ULA Catalyst. I keep coming back to my GG Crown VC. On my last section hike, I "beefed up" the suspension by adding the Klymit Airbeam inflatable pad alongside the existing HDPE support sheet. That worked very well - but I worried about having to deal with a leak in the pad along the way. After ordering several HDPE sheets from Grainger, I'm tinkering them and designing a new support sheet. But, after my first hike I reduced my base weight to around 18 pounds - so I'm not sure I need to reinforce it much any more. The only "negative" with the Crown VC (to me) is the lack of pockets on the hip belt. I use 2 Dyneema pockets I purchased from ZPacks and they work extremely well.

The GG Crown VC 60 is a reasonably priced, tough, comfortable pack - as long as it isn't extremely overloaded. Like shoes, packs are very "personal" choice and you should use what fits you best.

[QUOTE=The only "negative" with the Crown VC (to me) is the lack of pockets on the hip belt. I use 2 Dyneema pockets I purchased from ZPacks and they work extremely well.
    .[/QUOTE]
    The hip belts pockets are my next endeavor...thnx. I was at a hunt/fish show yesterday and thought about buying some old surplus clip pouches...seemed a bit 'heavy'. I imagine 'Uncle Sam' is not too concerned with base weight...

Quote Originally Posted by GranPappy View Post
    The hip belts pockets are my next endeavor...thnx. I was at a hunt/fish show yesterday and thought about buying some old surplus clip pouches...seemed a bit 'heavy'. I imagine 'Uncle Sam' is not too concerned with base weight...
    I put 2 MLD pockets on mine at an oz or two ea. Highly recommend
    However I ditched them in NH, after all those miles I decided I didn't really need hipbelt pockets haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

I got the exact same pack from LuggageFactory. Really like it. I managed to somehow rip a small hole in the pocket mesh during my one week out in GA though.

Images

I got one through the same web site..............it didn't fit me ( dang ).......but they quickly sent me return paperwork and did the refund thing. So my experience was a good one YMMV

I missed the LuggageFactory.com sale. I know this pack is typically available at a discount on Black Friday. Are there any other sales between now and November?

Sure, there will be plenty 20% off deals. I'm sure you could find one right now.

On sale now at backcountry.com for $149!

Since Granite Gear has now released the Crown VC 2, I suspect you will be seeing good deals on the remaining stock for the older model.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithereens View Post
    On sale now at backcountry.com for $149!
    Great buy for $150! Plus free shipping, I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dawg View Post
    Since Granite Gear has now released the Crown VC 2, I suspect you will be seeing good deals on the remaining stock for the older model.
    With included hip belt pockets and lid, it looks like the new Crown 2 is an even better buy than the discounted old Crown V.C. 60.

Oooohhh....I'm gonna have to go Google the new pack.

I grabbed the last one from Backcountry.com for my buddy. I got mine from ebay a couple years ago for $115....it was a return without tags....so keep hunting. I might have to see if the new belt is removable like my current one.....might be worth upgrading to get the pockets. I do wish the padding on the belt wrapped a couple inches further along....the skinny strap with clip kinda cuts into my gut a bit.....of course losing 10 lbs might remedy that

++ New Posts ++