WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    But if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Soilman, a few years back I used to work with a bunch of design/engineering guys who used to love to take on projects or jobs that no one else wanted. The motto of our group was - 1) "if it was easy, everybody could do it." and 2) "if it was easy, it wouldn't be any fun". Your quote brought back memories.Thanks. Hope you are doing well.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

This defines my once or twice a year golfing experience:
    I have knocked the head off about 5 drivers by mistake over the years. My daughter uses them as hiking sticks now.

Quote Originally Posted by sarcasm the elf View Post
    :d....................

1+ to what TX Aggie said.

Images

My wife is 108 pounds and north of 50 (I'm treading on thin ice). Yesterday, she carried a 27 pound pack over 20 miles from Low Gap to Sassafras Gap, finishing with a smile on her face. It's all relative, but it is just walking.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    My wife is 108 pounds and north of 50 (I'm treading on thin ice). Yesterday, she carried a 27 pound pack over 20 miles from Low Gap to Sassafras Gap, finishing with a smile on her face. It's all relative, but it is just walking.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's just walkin to some.
    It's pain and misery to others.
    Which one are you?

Sure I've had problems with bugs, rain, fires, unpleasant people, but the great moments totally outnumber the bad ones by far.

If you don't like walking, perhaps another hobby is better for you.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

It'a just walking: day after day, mile after mile, in the hot sun, in the rain, in the snow, in the cold, when sore or tired. Been done by all ages & people with disabilities. Technically it is a "Walk in the Park" due to it NST designation. Is it easy? Not always, nor is it always fun. Like life it's what you make of it. Take the good with the bad. For some a vacation is sitting poolside drinking cocktails with little umbrellas. I prefer to test myself. Learn & push my limits. Just because a walk on the trail has roots or rocks on it doesn't mean it's not walking. It's putting one foot in front of the other.

I find those that have truly experienced adversity see it for what it is "just walking" and tend to "make it all the way".
    For some the AT is their first experience with adversity, and those people tend to have a rougher time with it.
    Just my 2cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Default it's not just walking

well, from reading a lot of this, I'd say it's unique to each person doing it. Nobody really knows what it's like for anybody else. I wonder, tho, for anybody who thinks it's "just walking" -- why do it?

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    well, from reading a lot of this, I'd say it's unique to each person doing it. Nobody really knows what it's like for anybody else. I wonder, tho, for anybody who thinks it's "just walking" -- why do it?
    The point missed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Ignoring the context that "it's just walkin" general occurs and answering your question literally.

there are few things in life I would rather do than walk. It is how I relax, stay in shape and process complex information and problems. I walk on the trail, in my neighborhood and even in my office and conference room during meetings. Over the years running has also started to serve the same purpose.

As an aside, I always chuckle when people quit a thru attempt claiming they just didn't like the walking part.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post

As an aside, I always chuckle when people quit a thru attempt claiming they just didn't like the walking part.

This reminds me of a quote from a guy who I hiked and camped with for a day or 2 south of Harper's Ferry. He said he loved the AT, he just hated backpacking! He did make it to Harper's Ferry and got off, which is still a pretty nice hike at the end of the day.

There was another guy (with girlfriend) who seemed to be in every little hiking town holed up in the hostels and taverns holding court and telling tales of his hikes, current and former. You could leave Franklin before him and you would be guaranteed to see him in Hot Springs when you got there. However you would never see him pass you while hiking to get there. Nor would anyone else. Reminded me of my working days when I used to supervise other people - I noticed that ALL of them liked their paycheck. However some of them didn't like doing the work necessary to receive the paycheck.

GAME 06

I guess I channel LW and Tipi.

It is just walking. Life is just living.

But that does not mean what the literal minded seem to think it does. LW is promoting a state of mind. He is trying to educate. Pay attention to the teacher. This approach 'works' in spades for a lot of people. It is very common to those who have spent time in the service - though not unique to there of course. One does not approach something which is hard and long from the perspective of thinking about how far the end of the process is away, but rather at the daily or even hourly task. It provides encouragement and fights off despair. 'You only have to take one step at a time.' 'It is just walking.' 'There is nothing I have to do today that I cannot do.' Etc.

Some are motivated other ways like exaggerating how hard it is in their minds and then when they 'overcome' the task their emotions are uplifted and it gives them motivation to 'succeed' again the next day - sort of a daily combat with the Wilds.

What ever works.

Other than those injured pretty much everyone can do this - if their mind stays in the game and they continue to find in it a positive result. If you don't find such things then perhaps it is not the activity for you - you could play...golf. Thru hiking has no ultimate meaning really...unless it having ultimate meaning is crucial to your success.

After all it is just walking...right?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    By very old, 70+
    Hey, who are you calling old?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post

But that does not mean what the literal minded seem to think it does. LW is promoting a state of mind. He is trying to educate. Pay attention to the teacher. This approach 'works' in spades for a lot of people. It is very common to those who have spent time in the service - though not unique to there of course. One does not approach something which is hard and long from the perspective of thinking about how far the end of the process is away, but rather at the daily or even hourly task. It provides encouragement and fights off despair. 'You only have to take one step at a time.' 'It is just walking.' 'There is nothing I have to do today that I cannot do.' Etc.

In this sense the quote makes perfect sense. Without the context though I find it a bit arrogant and condescending. I help some local high schools with math (I'm a retired engineer). For whatever reason, math makes perfect sense to me. Always has.I find it easy. But I see how the kids that I tutor struggle with basic high school algebra. I don't get that but I keep that thought to myself. Should I tell them "C'mon man, it's just basic high school math...anyone should know how to do THAT??!!" There is absolutely no way I would say that to them.It would kill any hope that they would have of overcoming to what is to them them a very difficult obstacle.So if we are blessed to have the health and time to long distance hike, we should be grateful for that and realize that others may not.

So when we say "if hiking is difficult for you, you should take up another hobby" what are we accomplishing? perhaps intimidating those who are just getting started and haven't quite figured things out yet? Perhaps we are embarrassing those who aren't in the best of physical condition but would like to be. I have said this before, the tone of this site is often times diametrically opposed to what you encounter when not behind a keyboard but out hiking and interacting with others. In the real world, we (the hiking community) are encouraging and helpful to those who we meet that are out there struggling due to heavy loads, injuries, improper gear, etc. from what I have witnessed. Here? we tell them to go do something else if they struggle a bit.

Let me repeat, i have no issue with the comment in the context that you propose, However I do not think it is meant that way most of the time. As they say though, that is my opinion and I very well could be wrong.

The three-word phrase in question is LW's stock response whenever threads get overly wonky about... almost anything. His deep thoughts are meant to fit on a bumper sticker.

It's a perfect half-truth. At times it rings true, and other times, it's bull. Anyone who's actually spent more than a few days on the trail understands that.

Anyone that begins any endeavor, and believes that a single phrase about that endeavor says it all, is doomed to fail.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pages View Post
    it was cold. it was wet. it was rocky. it was slippery. it was muddy.
    It took you 40 years to figure this out?
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++