WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pack color?

Default Pack color?

A lot of my gear is in the olive green and blue ranges. Should my pack be something vivid like orange or red? Yellow even?
    I got tired of listening to them tell me how to live. I am my own person and this is my journey.

Whatever color you want. There is no should.

Some people like brightly colored gear because it stands out. Some people hate brightly colored gear because it stands out. Take your pick, but be sure the thing fits well.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Well if it's hunting season I go orange. Must work I'm still alive.

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Well if it's hunting season I go orange. Must work I'm still alive.

Thom
    That's something I was thinking about. I like orange anyways.
    I got tired of listening to them tell me how to live. I am my own person and this is my journey.

Images

Blaze orange pack cover and bandanna is really sufficient enough. Down side to brightly colored packs is they show dirt and wear more easily.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Blaze orange pack cover and bandanna is really sufficient enough. Down side to brightly colored packs is they show dirt and wear more easily.
    It's something I'm willing to risk. Knowing me, I'd probably remark it as "badge of honor" type thing.

During hunting season, I am sure to hike with a blaze orange hat on. I saw 2 hunters on the Trail a couple weeks ago. Well, one was on the trail - he asked me if I'd seen any deer. The other one was about 10' off the trail, and he saw me before I saw him. I don't know if he had his gun pointed toward the noise that was me before seeing my orange hat come up the hill... but after I saw him I was sure glad I was wearing the orange.

But yeah. I'm not "tactical" when I'm hiking. In fact, I haven't been tactical since I was in the military. I'm hiking to hike, not hide. If I fall off the side of the mountain, I'd like for searchers to be able to see me - so my regular pack is bright blue and bright green.

I like my indigo pack better than my green one.

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo Hawk View Post
    A lot of my gear is in the olive green and blue ranges. Should my pack be something vivid like orange or red? Yellow even?
    How are your navigation skills?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    How are your navigation skills?
    In truth, a work in progress. The brightest colors possible it is!

Packs of Day glow lime green with little black and white, blue, and red Grateful Dead skulls on it like a Dalmation and wearing Neon Hover Kicks is the way to go. Make sure to get that punk rocker hatchet spike blue hair too.

Most of the time it is up to you. I just love cherry and black, cherry and yellow combination. So these are the colors I am always going to choose.

Couple of things to consider:

*It is easier to get noticed, found (if you are lost) when you wear bright colors (orange).
    *If you decide to wear earth colors (brown, grey, black) make sure you have at least one NOTICEABLE peace of gear or clothing that is BRIGHT. This will greatly reduce the chance of being shot by hunters.

why do you hike why do you go to the woods? tap into that feeling and buy whatever color you like...

On the AT any color is fine. However, if you plan on using this pack outside of hiking. Maybe traveling in another country. I have found any color is suitable as long as it's subdued. No neons, bright, loud colors. Think bright neon orange vs flat burnt orange. Flat colors are blend in more and you don't stick out like a sore thumb. Black, blue, green, grey, purple, yellow, whatever. Just keep it not so flashy and rub some dirt on it. Travelling tip #97

...never hike the desert with a black pack.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...never hike the desert with a black pack.
    Have you really found that black a pack get's that much hotter in the desert than another color so much so that it becomes a problem?

I'd be curious to see some actually numbers, it would be interesting to see. I guess it would depend heavily on the fabric the pack is made of as well

Cost dictated my decision. I would have opted for blue but the brick red version of my pack went on sale for about 30 % less than blue. I am happy with it now that I have it and even happier to have saved some $$ buck$
    "May the four winds blow you safely home ..." ​Garcia, Kreutzmann, & Hunter

Journal Entries

LNT would tend towards more earth tones, I do like bring standout colors, not only for hunting seasons but easier to find for the occasion you put it down to walk off trail and want to find it, and the trail, again.

Quote Originally Posted by robertmawson View Post
    Most of the time it is up to you. I just love cherry and black, cherry and yellow combination. So these are the colors I am always going to choose.

Couple of things to consider:

*It is easier to get noticed, found (if you are lost) when you wear bright colors (orange).
    *If you decide to wear earth colors (brown, grey, black) make sure you have at least one NOTICEABLE peace of gear or clothing that is BRIGHT. This will greatly reduce the chance of being shot by hunters.
    But I bet you don't like eating cherries?

Welcome.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++