WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Moving from Lonepeak 2.5's to 3.0's

I have just about eaten up my first pair of Altra LP 2.5's. I got about $0.29 a mile out of them, at a life span of 400 miles give or take (including 90 miles of PA). My biggest concern with the 2.5's was that there was more or less zero protection from rocks, roots etc via a rock/ shock plate in the sole - looks like the 3.0s have that now.

Secondly, my only real disappointment in these shoes (2.5s) was the inserts. Very thin, and more or less zero cushion, that being said, the sole itself makes up for it, I don't know how much more comfy the shoe could have been. The inserts wore down in the first 100 miles to having holes in the heel - which is where my negative comments come from on that. Looks like the 3.0s may have more to offer from the standpoint of the inserts thickness.

Biggest concern is that some people say that with every model of the LP, the toe box gets smaller and smaller. I would like to venture to say that Altra is going to keep reducing the toe box size until they see the bell curve of "true fit for most" rating max out and start to decline, then bump the toe box dimensions back to previous "optimum fit success" model.

Looking at the picture below - 3.0 on left, 2.5 on right ( not my picture), I can see very little dimensional change in toe box however, I do think I can see a difference (3.0 a little smaller)

20160728_092620-1500x1125.jpg

Thoughts or experience with the differences in these shoes?
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 03-03-2017 at 15:16.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I hope they never change that toe box. Hiked the PCT with 2 pair of 2.0's (picture is after 1300 miles including the lava fields of Oregon) and loved them. Hiking in 2.5's now and will be in the same situation as you soon. I have high hopes for the 3.0's.LP2.jpg

Images

I bought two more pairs of 2.5s a few months ago. One thing that I do when hiking rocky trail (I live in Rocksvania.) is use the removable rock plates out the Altra Superiors. I don't know if the latest Superiors have the plates but I have gone through several pairs of Superiors so I have them to use with either shoe.

I really hope hope they don't narrow up either the Superiors or LPs. I wear one or the other 99% of the time I have shoes on so my feet have grown very accustomed to the wide toe box and zero drop. I put a pair of Wildcats on the first time last week for a couple of miles and my calves actually hurt afterward.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

what is the drop? they look great but I have plantar fasciitis and don't think I can wear a flat shoe like that...

Olympus 2.0 toe box is fine for my Squatch splayed feet. Same with the Superior 3.o. Superior is light cush verse the max of the Olympus. Olympus has more underfoot protection than the light Superiors or moderate LP's.

Anyone use after market high arch footbeds in the LP's, O's, or S's that fit? The SuperFeet even in a size larger leave gaps around the toes making them hot spot central.

Rarely is a stock footbed anything substantial. Altras are no different.

You'll get slightly greater protection and less wear on the LP 3.0's compared to the LP 2.5's in the metatarsal phalangeal joint areas(area on the side of the foot immediately after the toe's main joints). See on the right(LP 2.5) where the yellow dash ends near the top of the rand. The rand is low and the light mesh will abrade in abrasion induced areas like Rocksylvania if you step between the rocks or slip off wile topping them. You even have a slight frazzle there now. If you get that which I do, much worse, is apply some tape or lightly smear some Shoo Goo or McNetts Seam Grip in that area just above the rand. In effect you're extending the rand slightly higher but as an overlay.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    what is the drop? they look great but I have plantar fasciitis and don't think I can wear a flat shoe like that...
    It's tweakable/workable even with a higher arch or PF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It's tweakable/workable even with a higher arch or PF.
    good to know. how would you tweak it, with insoles?

my current shoe I use for plantar fasciitis is Hoka One One Stinson 3 ATR. 6mm drop and cushion from heaven...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...w_c_x_1_w?th=1

Until I find full length after market high arch orthotics that aren't custom made($$$) that fully fit to replace the stock Altra footbeds I use arch cookies also called scaphoid pads(when they are called this expect them to be gourmet priced ) under the stock Altra footbed. Some shoes stores give you arch cookies when buying shoes but you might be able to finagle a pr for free if asking nicely. They are just little pieces of foam like material usually with at least one sticky side.

Typical causes of PF I don't have or have previously/currently address(ed) - 1) neutral, don't have excessive pronation, my running and walking mechanics have been analyzed multiple times by running, footwear, and orthopedists and podiatrist professionals, I've had to correct a couple of things though which took a couple of yrs, I've made it a priority, I'm not fan of surgeries or pain meds that address symptoms, I want to address causes proactively 2) don't have arthritis or any syndromes that might exacerbate or cause PF 3) not overweight and typically carry 22 lb or lighter wt kit which includes 5-6 days consumables 4) I stretch achilles tendons, platter fascia, and calf muscles keeping them loose 5) prioritize dialing in shoe fit and appropriateness of model for each hike 6) replace worn shoes out for running, backpacking, tennis, walking and basketball regularly, this is far more important to me as one on my feet so often for recreation and work than obsessing over 2-3 oz saved on pricey cuben or other gear taking into context that I haven't hit the Lotto jackpot yet, when heel cush pancakes to feel like I'm walking on swiss cheese it's time to get new shoes and/or new footbeds or MAYBE heel cushions to extend the life of other wise reasonably in good condition footwear another 200 miles 7) do support my high arches. Beyond that I don't know about PF.

I'm inclined to pay $20 for foot massages that stretch the not overly sore plantar fascia seeing it as a worthy investment to continue experiencing what I do.

Not a huge fan of minimalist shoe running or extreme minimalist backpacking shoes particularly going long distances on hard surfaces although for some that's the rage and a approach that works very well. I like some cush but not a sloppy teetering on a pedestal feel. In some conditions I do like to feel the ground more. I don't plod when running, playing tennis or b ball, or backpacking.

Hoka Stinson ATR's were too narrow in the forefeet for my feet. Love their cush as you do but they can feel a little spongey/marshmellowy for some. I'd like to see a Altra or Keen large type shaped footbox in the HOKA line up. For now the Altra Olympus 2.0, Superior 3.0, and for more abrasive lower MPD avgs some of the Keens are my go to backpacking low cuts. I'm awaiting the Altra Timpanogos set to arrive on the scene sometime in summer to demo. I like HOKA's around home when feet aren't apt to be as swollen.

Got my LP 3.0's in today, they feel like a more durable yet equally if not more light 2.5. Toebox seems to still be wide enough and I am as of right now impressed prior to actually trying them. The rock plate is very noticeable when bening the shoe and I have high hopes for them agains the northern PA rocks this spring. Will try and update after i abuse them for 140 miles thru PA. If they do not prove to be Gambit Foot worthyafter some test hikes I will update on that as well but i think they will be 2 thumbs up.

Until I find full length after market high arch orthotics that aren't custom made($$$) that fully fit to replace the stock Altra footbeds I use arch cookies also called scaphoid pads(when they are called this expect them to be gourmet priced ) under the stock Altra footbed. Some shoes stores give you arch cookies when buying shoes but you might be able to finagle a pr for free if asking nicely. They are just little pieces of foam like material usually with at least one sticky side.
    What kind of shoe stores are you finding these in? I've never heard of them but they sound like exactly what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by la.lindsey View Post
    What kind of shoe stores are you finding these in? I've never heard of them but they sound like exactly what I need.

>>Arch Cookies <<

Typical causes of PF I don't have or have previously/currently address(ed) - 1) neutral, don't have excessive pronation, my running and walking mechanics have been analyzed multiple times by running, footwear, and orthopedists and podiatrist professionals, I've had to correct a couple of things though which took a couple of yrs, I've made it a priority, I'm not fan of surgeries or pain meds that address symptoms, I want to address causes proactively 2) don't have arthritis or any syndromes that might exacerbate or cause PF 3) not overweight and typically carry 22 lb or lighter wt kit which includes 5-6 days consumables 4) I stretch achilles tendons, platter fascia, and calf muscles keeping them loose 5) prioritize dialing in shoe fit and appropriateness of model for each hike 6) replace worn shoes out for running, backpacking, tennis, walking and basketball regularly, this is far more important to me as one on my feet so often for recreation and work than obsessing over 2-3 oz saved on pricey cuben or other gear taking into context that I haven't hit the Lotto jackpot yet, when heel cush pancakes to feel like I'm walking on swiss cheese it's time to get new shoes and/or new footbeds or MAYBE heel cushions to extend the life of other wise reasonably in good condition footwear another 200 miles 7) do support my high arches. Beyond that I don't know about PF.

I'm inclined to pay $20 for foot massages that stretch the not overly sore plantar fascia seeing it as a worthy investment to continue experiencing what I do.

Not a huge fan of minimalist shoe running or extreme minimalist backpacking shoes particularly going long distances on hard surfaces although for some that's the rage and a approach that works very well. I like some cush but not a sloppy teetering on a pedestal feel. In some conditions I do like to feel the ground more. I don't plod when running, playing tennis or b ball, or backpacking.

Hoka Stinson ATR's were too narrow in the forefeet for my feet. Love their cush as you do but they can feel a little spongey/marshmellowy for some. I'd like to see a Altra or Keen large type shaped footbox in the HOKA line up. For now the Altra Olympus 2.0, Superior 3.0, and for more abrasive lower MPD avgs some of the Keens are my go to backpacking low cuts. I'm awaiting the Altra Timpanogos set to arrive on the scene sometime in summer to demo. I like HOKA's around home when feet aren't apt to be as swollen.
    thank you, excellent response.

I found the Hokas when I was out of town and needed some shoes to be able to walk about 6 miles/day on concrete. I went to REI store and started to ask the girl for shoes for my planta... and didn't even get the whole word out of my mouth before she turned around and handed me the Stinsons. I tried them on and instantly loved them. I never bought a pair of shoes so fast...

Update on the LP 3.0s - Outstanding. I see this shoe as an all around improvement from the 2.5s.

2.5's- I loved them, they were the best I had worn thus far and therefore, were the best thing ever.

3.0's- Now that I have put a couple hundos on them - They seem to have the qualities of the 2.5, but have been improved.
    The sole has a good amount of stiffness to it vs the floppy 2.5
    the sides are not just mesh any longer but have a structure that is quite robust.
    Weight: Meh, +- about the same, maybe slightly heavier but nothing to write home about.
    Insole: Its an improvement? but hasn't saved the world yet. It is still a stock insole, but of a cushier material and a lil thicker
    Insole material: Seems to be more durable
    Laces: Not sure why the 2.5 shoe had 4ft laces (exaggeration), but the 3.0s seem to be a more realistic, shorter length.
    3.0s have a good traction bottom

Hey can you post a pic? Because they look ugly as sin, and I just can't tell how they *actually* look based off the amazon pics. They sounds like they're worth it.

Hey can you post a pic? Because they look ugly as sin, and I just can't tell how they *actually* look based off the amazon pics. They sounds like they're worth it.

Will try to this evening.

I'm making the same move. Got about 400 miles out of my 2.5s (had to glue the toe bumpers a lot) -- not a single blister. I've only walked around the neighborhood in the 3.0s but they seem good. The toe box looks narrower to me, but I think it feels the same. So far so good.

Thanks for the pic, gambit. Does the side look goofy? I definitely like the top better on the men's, at least. The fabric looks more sturdy too. I just don't like those stupid "hardcore mountains!" they put on the side, but I can't tell if they actually look like hardcore mountains in real life or not.

That's seriously the only thing holding me back right now. I can't decide what color would minimize the stupidity of those dumb mountains.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just don't like those stupid "hardcore mountains!" they put on the side, but I can't tell if they actually look like hardcore mountains in real life or not.

That's seriously the only thing holding me back right now. I can't decide what color would minimize the stupidity of those dumb mountains.
    I dont really care for them at all either lol,,,
    I have not tried the LP 3 yet ,I am fond of mu superiors though.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    I dont really care for them at all either lol,,,
    I have not tried the LP 3 yet ,I am fond of mu superiors though.
    Those look slick. How do they compare to the LP? Have you tried both?

Thanks for the pic, gambit. Does the side look goofy? I definitely like the top better on the men's, at least. The fabric looks more sturdy too. I just don't like those stupid "hardcore mountains!" they put on the side, but I can't tell if they actually look like hardcore mountains in real life or not.

I honestly haven't even noticed the graphics on the sides in person. After all the problems I started getting out of the Speedcross 3s after last July, I wouldn't care if they had pom poms on the toes! lol

As others said, the toe box looks smaller, but I think it feels the same. I had a busy day yesterday, will try to get a comparison pic as soon as I can however, the pic I would take will look pretty much identical to the pic in the opening post. That is a comparison of the 2.5 & 3.0

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++