Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

AlpineKevin,

How did you like skiing in North Dakota? Its small, but we like it!

To the rest, regarding he snow, I say don't listen to the fear mongers. Hike until you cant, as mentioned earlier. Once you can no longer hike, adapt.T
    Im jealous, no long trips for me this summer. PCT or another Colorado Trail trip in 18.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    thank you Malto. This year I will carry a Kahtoola microspike for snow but I pass ice ax.
    Correction, After watching a great and majestic 2011 PCT thru hike video which had Malto and many other in it, I will definitely take an Ice Ax after KM for a long long time. Not having it is too risky for a 48 years old guy like me.

Images

Correction, After watching a great and majestic 2011 PCT thru hike video which had Malto and many other in it, I will definitely take an Ice Ax after KM for a long long time. Not having it is too risky for a 48 years old guy like me.
    I watched that video last night and I really miss that environment and that trail. One thing that often gets missed in all the talk of snow and stream crossings is the absolute awesomeness and power of Mother Nature. To see some of those streams thundering down the canyon, or 30' drifts sculpted by the wind. Or the absolute devastation of avalanche trail. Even seeing groups of trees in WA that had to removed from the trail using explosives added additional coolness.

I think you will will be happy you're taking an ice axe.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

Is it fair to say high snow year JMT means less bear encounter due to lack of food for them on high altitude?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I watched that video last night and I really miss that environment and that trail. One thing that often gets missed in all the talk of snow and stream crossings is the absolute awesomeness and power of Mother Nature. To see some of those streams thundering down the canyon, or 30' drifts sculpted by the wind. Or the absolute devastation of avalanche trail. Even seeing groups of trees in WA that had to removed from the trail using explosives added additional coolness.

I think you will will be happy you're taking an ice axe.
    All of the things you mentioned are the reasons I want to hike PCT. For me thru hiking PCT is scratching 10 things off my top 100 things to do list in a matter of 5 months.

Is it fair to say high snow year JMT means less bear encounter due to lack of food for them on high altitude?
    About the only place you'll see a bear on the JMT is at Tuolumne Meadows campground. Maybe around Lower Vidette Meadows or Charlotte Lake.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    About the only place you'll see a bear on the JMT is at Tuolumne Meadows campground. Maybe around Lower Vidette Meadows or Charlotte Lake.
    ....Maybe if you avoid LYV and lyell canyon. Camp in those places and your odds are very high of not only seeing, but being inspected by one

The numbers for snow water content - http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/p...s/PLOT_SWC.pdf - seem to drop by 1 every day, anyone know if that's some kind of estimate, or if measurements are still being done?

Ha, This is Great!

Who cares what anyone else can do? What's important is good information so I don't put myself in a spot I can't get myself out of.

Can we all agree on that?
    Don't put yourself into places you can't get yourself back out of?

Now that we are all pals again (haha), I have something for all you quibblers: April 1 Backpacker's Alert:

http://tahoetowhitney.org/content/ba...t-april-1-2017

Rip it up, kids! Well, no, remember, we're all pals again...

The conclusions drawn in the BA above come from many sources, the main forces of which are organized and presented on

The High Sierra Weather Page

http://tahoetowhitney.org/content/fa...orts#el-nino-5

and, most especially,

The High Sierra Calendar

https://tahoetowhitney.com/2017-high...alendar.html#4

Note the calendar tracks all the real-time temp & snow stations along/near the crest from Whitney to Highway 88, (Carson Pass) and provides all the watershed Water Content Charts & conversions...

I offer these for your information and amusement, let me know of any additional resources,

And As Always,

Happy Trails, My East Coast Brethren!

Alex from Tahoe to Whitney

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++