WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you do it, why not go whole hog and become a trail foodie? It'll take energy when you stop and just want to pass out, but hopefully the meals will compensate for the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    I have been reevaluating my cook system. I am getting bored with being limited to boiling water for everything.

I currently use a GSI MicroDualist set and a pocket rocket.

I am interested in using frying pan style that I can use on a stove and in the fire if the opportunity arises. I am also probably going to switch to a MSR Dragonfly stove.

I will still have to boil water, I have to have coffee!

Anyhow, my concern is packed size. I don't want to just start randomly buying stuff and finding out it packs up huge! I would like to have a cup/mug, pot, pan, spatula, plate/bowl maybe x2.

I'll still keep the smaller light weight set for solo trips and day hikes.

Looking for some suggestions for people that have tried multiple things.

Google Flat Cat Gear. He has a lightweight baking system. It's great for all that just add water stuff like biscuits and muffins. If you go to his site go to the Backpackers Cookbook PDF. I've made calzones and cheeseburgers but it's also an efficient way to just boil water if that's all that's needed.

download.jpg
    the only thing you can't cook in this is a fondue

Caldera cone ti tri. Worth every penny. And it makes using a fire to cook quick, safe, LNT as a fire could be, and easy.

It still takes some decent effort after a long day of hiking though

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Caldera cone ti tri. Worth every penny. And it makes using a fire to cook quick, safe, LNT as a fire could be, and easy.

It still takes some decent effort after a long day of hiking though

Traillium, what R U doing..smoking some salmon fillets in that thing? Burning up the raked leaves?

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Before switching to a super-heavy white gas set-up, I'd suggest a cheap and slightly heavy (8 oz) canister topper stove such as the Primus Classic Trail, which has a really wide burner head and excellent flame control.
    Largest 8 oz canister I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Traillium, what R U doing..smoking some salmon fillets in that thing? Burning up the raked leaves?
    Damp softwood … After a few minutes it settled down to its standard slight but unpicturesque non-smoky burn. Japanese miso soup, Israeli couscous, Thai garlic peas, American bacon, cold Canuck oxygen … followed by camp coffee with chocolate almond chunks stored in. Yum! (35 minutes from pack-off to pack-on. A nice rest!)

Quick update. I went to a outdoor gear store to put my hands on things and try out different pan, pot, stove combos.

I sort of had my mind made up that I needed the MSR Windboiler and pan. My sticking point with that system was price. The stove and mug is $130 and the pan is an additional $70!

I decided to go with a GSI 8" pan. At that point I needed a new stove. My pocket rocket doesn't have the flame spread or stability for a large pan.

I started balancing the GSI pan on the different stove samples. I wanted to really like the Whisperlight, but was intimidated by all the extra stuff needed for setup. I ended up with the Primus Classic Trail. I am already set up and used to using canister stoves and this one had a wide burner and was super stable. Best part it was $20 !!!

So anyhow, I did a shake down this morning inside and made pancakes using only the items I would have with me backpacking. Turned out great and my daughter loved them.

Images

Greenlight
    If you do it, why not go whole hog and become a trail foodie? It'll take energy when you stop and just want to pass out, but hopefully the meals will compensate for the inconvenience.
    That is so cool and so true ........

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    Damp softwood … After a few minutes it settled down to its standard slight but unpicturesque non-smoky burn. Japanese miso soup, Israeli couscous, Thai garlic peas, American bacon, cold Canuck oxygen … followed by camp coffee with chocolate almond chunks stored in. Yum! (35 minutes from pack-off to pack-on. A nice rest!)
    That sounds trail gourmet creative delish and I don't do pork. Guess I'll have to use Fakin Bacon.

Very nice.

I just need a water heater for backpacking and am not likely to ever carry a stove like this, but that is one sweet burner for more serious cooking. I have one and keep it in the car with a canister for just-in-case or for those times when tailgating at the trail head parking lot. Sometimes nice to have a real meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    That sounds trail gourmet creative delish and I don't do pork. Guess I'll have to use Fakin Bacon.
    Alright I just went down to Lucky's and bought some couscous...what's the easiest simple recipes.... I'm giving it a taste...I'm home sick with my kid so may as well try it out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Substitute couscous for any pasta or rice in your favorite recipes. It kind of just takes the flavor of what your other ingredients are in my opinion.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have a Vargo 750 Sierra I use for fry, saute, steam bake with a silicone egg poacher.

I have cut a "pansize" trout to fit.

It is enough size to boil more than enough water for a freezer bag meal and a hot drink.

I like the tapered sides so the flame heats evenly.

I use the Snow Peak Hybrid Spatula and Spork set, or, the GSI compact spatula and Snow Peak Short Spork.

I drink from the pan.

I like to use it with my Zelph Starlyte w/lid and Suluk 6" diameter titanium windscreen I lift up a bit with pebbles or bobby pins as "legs" for more air movement up and out the top to achieve the better laminar flow flame.

For camping, I like the Banks FryBake or the GSI Pinnacle 8" frying pan.
    Last edited by Connie; 03-19-2017 at 04:57.

eta.jpg

Don't know if this would work, I purchased for myself, and it is a bit more than I need. Selling the whole kit NIB for $90 + shipping.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Cheese-n-chili quesadilla, grilled cheese sandwich (w/ English muffin, or one of those thin burger buns), muffins or cornbread*, vege-burger/bacon/sausage (I'm a veggie), hash browns, fresh onion/zucchini (1st or 2nd day only), sweet potato fries from your freezer (just a few can be scrumptious), fried honey buns,.... It's always best to do your frying at the shelter near other hikers who are eating their mush ... uh, I mean ... mashed potatoes and ramen.

*Muffins and cornbread: forget about the egg and/or milk, just add water, but not too much - it should be on the thick side. Fry like pancakes in a little margarine.

Most of our hiking is weekend stuff in cool or cold weather. These options wouldn't work so well for a longer hike or summertime.

I love adding a little NIDO
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

or the occasional marmot taste great.
    Now that I have to try someday when I'm out west

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++