WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tilley hat

Love my Tilley Airflow. I wear is hiking every weekend (just day pack). I get asked a few times a year "what is that hat!!! Where can I get one!!". I backpack with it, and have not noticed the brim hitting the pack.
    that said, I also have a UL, sun blocking, hiking cap with neck drape. I've yet to use it. I should try it.
    Last edited by rhjanes; 03-03-2017 at 10:09.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Love mine. Doesn't look dopey and prevents sunburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I love my Tilly hat for casual wear. Have never worn it on a hike. When I see a Tilly on the AT my first thought is "dayhiker". Sorry if that offends anyone but I just don't think they are good for a long distance hike.
    Funny. When I see a Tilley I think "Canadian". When I visit my sister-in-law in Ontario, I swear every other person I see is wearing a Tilley Airflow.

These are very practical hats. My Tilley hat has suffered through a lot of stuff. Brush snags so dense it would pull off my head, fierce heat in deserts, weather of all types, and wind, which the unique strapping system works to keep it on your head even during a rather windy train ride in an open car. the only wear I have on them is the patina that developed on the strap grommets and a really elegant fading that gives a look of "I've been places you've read about".

I rarely go out without this hat, which can be balled up and shoved into a pack, pulled out and not lose its shape. Most of the time I can wear the hat with a pack, though the Gregory pack when real full interferes with that. Since its rare I use that pack its a non-issue. As a camp hat its perfect, its perfect for bug nets, perfect for sun protection, perfect for rain (especially if you wear glasses), and for me helps to moderate body heat when I stop during a cool day. I guess you could say I like it.

These are fairly expensive hats as well as versatile, deserving a gracious thank you if someone gifts it to you!

Is there a particular Tilley that is best in AT hiking? Perhaps one the dries quickly and keeps you cool in humid wet conditions?

One of the airflow models that use a synthetic material and have venting around the crown. I'd choose the LTM5 model as the best size. The more popular LMT6 has a too wide of a brim for what you need on the AT(it's more suited for the PCT) and likely will just be in the way. The airflow models dry quickly and do vent the worse of the heat. Those that talked about them being hot I think are talking about the traditional canvas ones which are heavier and don't vent well.

These are awesome hats. My hiking friend bought one for our SOBO this year and wore it last week when we were hiking in IN. I was pretty envious and went out today and bought one. It never hit his pack, and even if it did the rear section of bill can be folded up a bit to allow for clearance if your pack rides higher than ours do.

I had a trucker hat for the week and the problem I had was when the sweat would start running into my eyes, I wanted to switch to my bandana and I had to stop and attach my hat to my pack. With the Tilley, one could just flip it back off their head and it would land on their pack and stay attached with the neck strap.

Great hat. Top quality and I am really excited to get it dirty on the AT.

Christopher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have had mine for years. So comfortable I basically forget that I am wearing it.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I have the hiker model, and recently took it an an overnighter. It did tend to get too warm, and the pack and brim DoD sometimes spend too much time together for my liking. It's possible to minimize these problems, but you will probably have them somewhat. So you get some advantages and disadvantages, but it will last you a very long time. Do be sure to follow their sizing chart. Don't go by whatever size you normally wear.

I am so glad to be the salmon in this torrent of group think. Tilley hats are the equivalent of Limmer boots. A total throwback. Don't waste your money!

Great hats... if you plan on going on a safari with Sir Richard Francis Burton.

Make the AT great again!
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

... Tilley hats are the equivalent of Limmer boots. A total throwback...

Make the AT great again!
    Hardly. They offer lightweight, useful protection from much unfortunate weather, do not blow off in the fiercest winds, and have not been rendered obsolete by newer technologies. Also, they are available off the shelf without months or years of wait time. If the cost is a problem, there are knock offs for less that work well enough, I suppose. If there is something better, do tell.
    Last edited by Farr Away; 06-13-2017 at 12:37.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    I am so glad to be the salmon in this torrent of group think. Tilley hats are the equivalent of Limmer boots. A total throwback. Don't waste your money!
    Great hats... if you plan on going on a safari with Sir Richard Francis Burton. . .
    Wow, have you ever owned or used one?

Tilley hats originated for sailing, not safaris. They aren't a pith helmet after all. They may be fashionable in some circles, warrantying a sense of "group think" by some people, but dude, you're way off base here. Although no one piece of clothing is going to be the best choice for every person in a given activity, the Tilley hat performs as advertised and has a well earned positive reputation. Frankly, for most of the last 25 years I've been wearing Tilley hats, I've felt like the weirdo geek wearing such an un-cool hat just because it worked so well, but I wore it anyway just because it worked so damn well compared to any alternatives I could find. I've also spend quite of bit of effort trying to find hats that cost less and/or look less Tilley-like and have utterly failed to find anything that comes close to comparing.

By the way, the current Tilley Airflo hats are an all new design with better venting and cutting edge materials, unlike the old cotton T3 which which still rocked and did look a little safari-like. Of course Sir Richard Francis Burton could only have dreamed of having a safari that that was as well designed and made as the Tilley T3. Heck, the T3 established the brand, and then it was outdone by the Airflo. Go figure.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Wow, have you ever owned or used one?

Tilley hats originated for sailing, not safaris. They aren't a pith helmet after all. They may be fashionable in some circles, warrantying a sense of "group think" by some people, but dude, you're way off base here. Although no one piece of clothing is going to be the best choice for every person in a given activity, the Tilley hat performs as advertised and has a well earned positive reputation. Frankly, for most of the last 25 years I've been wearing Tilley hats, I've felt like the weirdo geek wearing such an un-cool hat just because it worked so well, but I wore it anyway just because it worked so damn well compared to any alternatives I could find. I've also spend quite of bit of effort trying to find hats that cost less and/or look less Tilley-like and have utterly failed to find anything that comes close to comparing.

By the way, the current Tilley Airflo hats are an all new design with better venting and cutting edge materials, unlike the old cotton T3 which which still rocked and did look a little safari-like. Of course Sir Richard Francis Burton could only have dreamed of having a safari that that was as well designed and made as the Tilley T3. Heck, the T3 established the brand, and then it was outdone by the Airflo. Go figure.

On the AT with my Tilley hat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've enjoyed my Tilley Hat. I burn so easily without it.

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    Great hats... if you plan on going on a safari with Sir Richard Francis Burton.

Make the AT great again!
    As funny as I thought your safari comment was, I totally disagree with your sentiment. I don't just randomly wear mine around town when I'm not out hiking but anything outdoors its probably getting worn. My Tilley is in my pickup 100% of the time so it's always ready to be worn!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++