WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Partner for PA Mid-State Trail

I'm looking for someone to hike all or sections of PA's Mid-state Trail. I've hiked a lot of the AT alone and have enjoyed it, but I'm a little nervous about hiking the Mid-state alone. I'd like to start in the next month or so. I'm old, out of shape, but slow and steady gets it done, right? Anyone interested?

Default Partner for PA Mid-State Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Joanie View Post
    I'm looking for someone to hike all or sections of PA's Mid-state Trail. I've hiked a lot of the AT alone and have enjoyed it, but I'm a little nervous about hiking the Mid-state alone. I'd like to start in the next month or so. I'm old, out of shape, but slow and steady gets it done, right? Anyone interested?
    I am actually doing a section hike in April in Virginia. I have run into the same situation after a friend of mine backed out on me a couple weeks ago. Plenty of folks around me get concerned when I say I am running solo on this trip.

The White Blaze community has been awesome reaching out with local info on the section of the trail that I posted last week.

I'm sure you will get lots od supper within the community. Best of luck on your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MacGyver74NC; 02-28-2017 at 22:53.

Thanks MacGyver. I did that section early last year and met some wonderful people. Hope you have a great hike!

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

hiked the mid state over the course of several years, 80% of it solo. If it makes you feel more comfortable by all means hike with a partner, but the likelihood you will run into a lot of people on this trail is a lot lower than on other long distance trails - especially the AT. I wouldn't be too worried, I think you will be fine.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I might be interested in doing a weekend section, especially in the guidebook sections 10, 11, 12 areas. The Facebook group has some activity https://www.facebook.com/groups/midstatetrailpa/

Images

What time frames are you talking?
    I would definitely be interested, just have quite a few plans and don't want to spread myself too thin.
    Let me know what you're thinking.

Alex

Hi Soulmates,
    Thanks for the post and encouragement. I guess the reason I'm a little nervous is because I anticipate I won't meet anyone, which is fine, as long as I don't get hurt. Maybe I'm being overly cautious...It is encouraging to know you did 80 percent solo. Thanks

Hi Ki0eh,
    I have been reading about your exploits in PA. You seem to know her intimately. Thanks for the link. I have yet to set foot on the MST. I have also lived in Tioga, PA, and my daughter currently resides there. I would enjoy hiking a weekend with you. I will let you know when as soon as I know. Thanks for the offer! I anticipate toward the end of this month and into April.

Hi Alex,
    I'm thinking the end of March and maybe into April. I don't necessarily need to do it all at once. A section or two or three would be fine. Let me know how your schedule works out

Images

Hi Alex,
    I'm thinking the end of March and maybe into April. I don't necessarily need to do it all at once. A section or two or three would be fine. Let me know how your schedule works out
    Hi Joanie,

At that time I'm either in the army or starting a new job.
    I'm at Ft. Dix until March 31, then I pretty much have weekends.
    April 14/15 I may do part of the MD AT.
    Start at Harpers Ferry and head north for a few.

Other than that, if you have any plans, keep me in mind.
    Also, if you have any interest in the AT over that weekend, there are a few people going so far, so I can see how much more room there is.
    I'm pretty sure the more the merrier as none of us plan any epic adventures, just a leisurely 'walk in the woods'.

Alex

Joanie,
    I was curious if you ended up heading out on the MST and how it is going?

I just wanted to reassure you if you do not find a partner mid state PA is not that bad as long as you take your time over the start of the rocks. PA is my home state and i have spent all my life hiking on its trails. I find hiking with a partner more fun so I hope you do find a partner.

Kyle, Thanks for asking. My foster children are still with me, so I haven't been able to get away. I've been doing day hikes to get in better shape. I hope to start the end of June, when they will be going home. This hike was actually to get me in shape to finish NH and ME of the AT. I don't want to start that till after the black fly season. Can't wait to get started! Have you done the MST?

Journal Entries
    Images

Hi Joanie,

If you do not find a partner - you have nothing to worry about other than personal health. Good luck in your hike.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Nathan, thanks for the reassurance!
    I am going to try to do it alone if I have to.
    I've done most of my hiking alone. I'm not sure why I'm nervous about this. Maybe I just got spoiled with the social aspect of the AT. Even off season, you run into people every few days, at most. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement!

Thanks, Wise Old Owl. I appreciate your encouragement!

There is now a shuttle/trail angel list, e-mail [email protected] with the sections you need.

Thanks, so much, Peter! Finding shuttles was one of my concerns, if I have to do it in sections. This is a wonderful! Thanks again!

I'm going to start hiking the MST at the beginning of June from the Maryland side.

Kyle, Thanks for asking. My foster children are still with me, so I haven't been able to get away. I've been doing day hikes to get in better shape. I hope to start the end of June, when they will be going home. This hike was actually to get me in shape to finish NH and ME of the AT. I don't want to start that till after the black fly season. Can't wait to get started! Have you done the MST?

Images

Still looking for a partner on this one? What dates (roughly) did you have in mind?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++