WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Cable Gap and Sassafras Shelters?

A group of us are doing a long weekend soon up to Cable Gap and Sassafras, just south of Fontana Dam.
    What the water like up that way, and are there any issues since the fires last season to report?
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Default Cable Gap and Sassafras Shelters?

update. sassafras shelter has a serious pile of trash , dirty site. ridgerunner - get after it!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Soldier View Post
    update. sassafras shelter has a serious pile of trash , dirty site. ridgerunner - get after it!
    Many many more hikers than Ridge Runners. Did you attempt to help the trash, dirty site issue by hauling any trash out? Yes Ridge Runners and Maintainers do haul out trash and clean sites. Zero reasons that a hiker (even a through hiker) can't help out even if just a little.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Apparently they cleaned up Cable Gap, as I was there on 3/13. Sassafras still had a pile out at the privy on 3/11.

Journal Entries
    Images

Smile More info

Update on both shelters:
    As of July 6 & 9, both shelters are in quite good shape, trash-wise.
    Water is flowing well at Cable Gap, and probably at Sassafras as well. I didn't check the latter's spring because I trying to stay dry during a huge thunderstorm.
    I was surprised at the low level of graffiti at Cable Gap, and the excess of it at Sassafras.

I think Cable Gap is the oldest shelter on the AT---maybe---here it is in action---

57-9 Backpackers at the shelter-XL.jpg

56-7 My tent near Cable Gap shelter-XL.jpg
    There's a great CS not far from the shelter and the spring---if you need to avoid humans as I do.

++ New Posts ++