WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

...Bought a new pair of boots, a new backpack, and a pair of gloves.

The old ones, Keen Targhee 2, didn't look too bad after about 500 trail miles - at least I didn't think so until I put the new ones next to the old ones! I digress, the old ones are still very comfortable, but are now too soft and worn to do their job on long days.

Journal Entries
    Images

I walked 2.1 miles of the paved South Rim Grand Canyon trail.

At least I had my boots on.

Got jealous of my friends who are spending ten days hiking the Canyon at the end of the month.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Planned another gear test overnight hike yesterday, me and a buddy going to start at Burrels Ford and hike one day in and then hike back in may, just an overnight but another chance to test our gear.

Well I went out and bought a Nemo Hornet 2p and a Thermolite Evolite on saturday. I have my big 3 in place finally. Went home and set up the tent. I have confirmed that this tent is a great size for me and my gear. I can't wait to get out and test this stuff in real conditions now.

Spent the evening packing my backpack in search of efficiency. Didn't do a very good job of it and will have another bash today. The pack is a 55L Cuben fiber without stretch, and the contents with food, and without my cooking system or two full water bottles weighs 16 pounds, and yet I'm struggling to get a perfect fit with prepackaged and not loose contents. Also don't like using one rubbish bin bag as a liner. It gets messy. Will see how two smaller ones work, possibly three. (one for sleeping bag/pad/clothes, one for other stuff, and third for rain gear) The other difficulty, that will require some practice and testosterone, is jamming my sleeping bag into its bag and compressing it. The better the quality of a sleeping bag the more loft it contains. Whoever packs these things for sale is a genius. I suspect they work in a compression chamber at NASA

Images

Well I shoveled snow on: Tuesday, trying to stay ahead of storm for 9 hours I lost that race
    Wednesday, cleaned up the last 10 in. on walks and driveways of the white stuff in 4 hours
    Thursday, dig out cars and neighbors cars for over 6 hours
    Friday, see Thursday, fun to guess what kind of car it is by snow pile shape
    Weekend, NOT A DAMN THING !

Snowshoed a third of the way up Old Speck on -6* morning until we got to the place the trail was no longer packed out. Broke trail for half an hour in two feet of fluffy snow and made about 400 yards and decided that was enough exercise for the day and started back down the mountain. Met two guys who planned on summiting and informed him we had given up for the day because the trail wasn't Broken out all the way, yet. They were younger and seemed more willing to build that trail karma.

Today, going cross-country skiing down the Eastern Trail, because we like punishing ourselves.

I went to CrossFit for the first time on Friday. It was as intense as I expected. Yesterday and today just some walking to and from the grocery store as I recover. I'm hobbling around like an old lady!

Hoping to do CrossFit 2-3 times per week until my High Atlas hiking trip in May, and perhaps beyond. Most of my friends here will travel in the summer, so the cult-like atmosphere of CrossFit might be a nice chance for some community during that time.

Oh yeah. Cult-fit has crippled many people I know personally. Poorly designed program for athletes.

^I've heard of a lot of injuries as well, but I think that tends to occur mostly to people who are competitive enough to push themselves past their limits. At least, that was my impression from one visit to one CrossFit gym. The trainers were very good about keeping an eye on everyone's form, and scaling all the movements for different ability levels.

I, a soft baby whale, held no delusions about my capabilities, and I was happy to be outperformed by the regulars. But if you force yourself to complete the prescribed workout instead of the appropriately scaled version, then yeah I could see a lot of potential for injury.

Took my shiny new gear out yesterday for a test run. Totally new to backpacking (but not hiking/trail running), so I may have looked like the stereotypical guy who went and bought half the store at REI and went for his first hike. Even bought new shoes and socks, so everything was new!

Discovered that a 15lb'ish base feels like nothing. Went up and over the Priest SOBO then NOBO, and my times were not that far off from previous training hikes carrying just a Camelbak. Speaking of Camelbak, think I'm gonna ditch my bladder for my section hike and just use the Smart/Sawyer combo which turned out to be pretty efficient for me. Man, cold mountain stream water is so so refreshing! 12.5 mi/4300' gain...I think my goal of 15 mile days out of Springer is doable.

Journal Entries
    Images

I took a overnighter last night about 14 miles to and around the lake near me. It was pushing my under quilts limits. So that was good but forgot to sleep in a hat.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Images

Yard camping. Set up the new Lightheart Gear Duo. Pulled out the new Enlightened Equipment Enigma 20° bag. The Wi-Fi was really good. Heading out next week for a 70 mile hike on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dex View Post
    Yard camping. Set up the new Lightheart Gear Duo. Pulled out the new Enlightened Equipment Enigma 20° bag. The Wi-Fi was really good. Heading out next week for a 70 mile hike on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail.
    Thats great lol can't get that on the trail

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dex View Post
    No wifi on the LHHT, except maybe in Seven Springs. Stop at Walat's Bar, MP 46. Wave at the cars from the PA TP bridge.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Figured out at least for a little while I need a hat with some coverage. My face and ears and neck are burnt from being out all day yesterday. So last night went to REI and Picked up 2 different Light weight hats. The Outdoor Research seems to fit well and is super light so I will be using that on my sections for the next couple hikes at least.

Images

The US ARMY ROTC went for a hike, 26 miles with a 35 pound pack, so I tagged along on Saturday ahh the memories.

Journal Entries

Started hiking with my pack on my 3 days a week hikes. Figured out I'm not ready yet at all. Adding more hikes per week. Writing list out of things I need. Ordering dehydrated foods. Packing my clothes bag and then unpacking it and changing contents. . Need to sleep outside in the rain to make sure tent is ready. 5 weeks and counting

Journal Entries

Also started updating my blog https://wordpress.com/posts/myhikeou....wordpress.com. Trying to keep it going for friends who really can't believe I do this!

Quote Originally Posted by katyk View Post
    Also started updating my blog https://wordpress.com/posts/myhikeou....wordpress.com. Trying to keep it going for friends who really can't believe I do this!
    I will save that link look forward to following it. I have found that when goals are written down they are much more obtainable. I will be rooting for you.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++