WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default What did you do this week to prepare?

I figured it might be a good idea to start a thread where we can post what we have done recently to prepare for a Hike on the AT. This will help me with different things I could do to get gear ready and physically ready.

I will start.

1. Took the family on a day hike to Chimney Rock on saturday. This was a good prep for the uphills I believe. Me and the boys went to the very top past the flag and it was good to see that I am not quite as ready as I thought.
    2. Purchased a few gear related items yesterday. Got a new day pack, Z-Seat, and picked up 2 pair of ExOfficio underwear
    3. Doing tons of reaserch on tents this week. This is the main piece of gear I am missing and think I have it narrowed down to 2 different tents.

Images

In the last week...
    I walked my local trail 8 miles every day.
    Last Thurs. I hiked, with pack, from the Del Water Gap to Millbrook Village on the AT is was a wonderful day
    Every night go down the basement and hit the Stair Stepper
    Eat better and take a multi-vitamin

I really don't do anything specific to prepare for the AT...

Other than hiking at least 20 miles a week. But, that is a lifestyle thing, not an AT prep thing...

I always have dehy food in one of the gear bins, along with a spare purifier filter and full gas canisters...but that's just general preparedness to get outside...

I am a gear freak, but I have enough gear already to outfit at least 5 people for an AT thru hike...so...yah..prepared...just sayin...

Once you get your kit sorted out, prep for the AT is simply a matter of keeping your trail legs....

Images

We're hitting the AT next week, so this week is a "taper" on the legs. We've been hitting it hard on the legs here all winter, time to rest up a bit, so it's all about some easy/gentle downhill skiing, biking and swimming this week.

And yeah, yesterday something like our 45th trip to REI so far this year for one more pair of socks....

Did a 22 mile day hike week before last from Neel Gap to Unicoi Gap.

Did three separate day hikes last week from Unicoi Gap in GA up to Sassafrass Gap in NC, 12-14 miles each.

Various training in between.

Going to attempt a 30 mile day from either Springer to Neel or from Woody to Unicoi, hopefully late April/early May.

Have a backpacking trip scheduled in April and working on planning a longer one later in the month. I could thru with the gear I currently own but of course I'd like to upgrade a few things.

I don't see a thru in my future but I feel like I'm as ready right now as I've ever been if I were about to start one.

I stopped bathing / grooming regularly and wore the same clothes for 10 days without laundering.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    I stopped bathing / grooming regularly and wore the same clothes for 10 days without laundering.
    I hadn't realized that I was in training.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I lost 5 burdensome pounds,
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

In the last week...

cleaned and organized the gear mess
    burned off three nearly-empty fuel canisters
    ordered supplies for a diy tarp and several cuben fiber bags
    studied my Foothills Trail map
    sit ups
    push ups
    planks
    weights
    cycling
    spin class
    trail/greenway running

and worked so I can afford to go hiking
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 02-28-2017 at 13:35.

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    I lost 5 burdensome pounds,
    Good job.

Waisted hours reading these white blaze posts.....wishing I was outside!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to the doc and had a lung test and EKG test completed on the ole ticker. Blood test results will be back soon. Basically a full checkup.
    Still working on reducing weight. Took a little more off the pack and tent. Looking into long sleeve shirts lighter than this sweatshirt I carry.
    Walking full incline at 3.8 mph on the treadmill for an hour each day.
    Just overall trying to get myself physically prepared but also mentally. Making sure things at home will be good to go while I'm gone so the wife has no issues (cars, house, etc...)
    - Trail name: Thumper

Your thread is a good way to hold yourself accountable, to build momentum, and note hiking development. If you want give me your email and I can yell at you every day to do more.

Thru-hikes are always on the agenda. Like SB many crossover lifestyle choices apply to LDH. Everyday I think about hiking, seriously. Can't go food shopping without thinking about what foods apply to backpacking or by construction sites looking in the dumpster for Tyvek or some stuff to make something for backpacking. Driving down the road as a passenger on the interstate I note good places I'd like to camp or hike. I feel like a 14 yr old boy going through hiking puberty.

Sleep outside 100+ days/yr in a quilt or sleeping bag. Actually slept inside in a hiking quilt the last two nights.

Last week completed a shakedown hike of 138 miles that included as much elevation change as I could get in which was an extended FHT thru-hike. 6 nights 6 days which is good for me as a I develop into better condition and form.

Made at home food that I will eat on trail in my trail stove and in trail cook pot. Ate it outside under a trail tarp in the rain. Prepackaged 20 dinners tweaking them nutritionally for longer hikes adding more fat and nutrients for increased energy needs.

Playing tennis 20 hrs per week.

Purchased two new prs of Altra Olympus 2.0 trail runners. Ran a short 6 miler in one pr. Shoes felt GREAT! Will add 8 lb day pack next time out. Increase the pack to 15 las over the next 30 days.

Just revamped cook stove line up to include a new Zelph Venom alchy stove. This is what I made my dinner on the last two nights.

Ordered some Outdoor Herbivore food products and new Hemp Sprouting Bag to replace old one.

Next full day off rain, snow, or heat going to Atlanta Botanical Gardens and downtown Atlanta for the day. Walking the entire day with a loaded 2o lb backpack wearing the shoes, socks, and apparel I will for the next hike. checking out some new layering combos.

Last heavy rain walked four miler in a new MB Versalite Rain Jacket just to check it out and HANZ WP socks. Both passed the gear Litmus test.

Reducing coffee/caffeine intake.

Getting re-accustomed to going to sleep by 11 p.m and waking up at 5:30-6 a.m with no alarm clock.

Demoing several new sock brands.

Came here to be further inspired by what others are hiking and doing. However, the closer I get to the start date the more I wean myself off electronics.

Just ordered Wilderness maps for the next thru-hike - the Big Foot Tr. Also ordered additional maps for a PNWT and WA PCT long section hike taking some recommended alternates. Will order Skurka's Kings Canyon High Basin Route maps this week. Last week checked resupply options for a 700 mile segment of the Cali Coastal Tr which I now have a solid handle on.

Drooping 10 lbs of body weight which will entirely be aimed at body fat reduction. Removing or reducing oils and butter and fried foods that have crept into diet.

Jumping 20 mins non stop on trampoline 3x/wk.

Walking more curbs than ever.

Making mental notes and long term evaluations about two recent injuries - a broken clavicle and stretched knee ligaments - and how that may need to be addressed on a LD hike medically.

Having loooong overdue dental work strings tied off. Much more expensive, time consuming, problematic(infections, longer recovery time, etc), and possibly painful if done once on trail.

Working on my hiker tan in FL the last 5 days.

This past weekend did SOBO Priest Saturday and Sharp Top Sunday. This coming weekend, I'm looking at Old Rag Saturday and something shorter for Sunday. I lift and run during the week.

Forgot to add...sitting in my Docs office to refill my Vit I 800mg prescription and get steroid shot in my elbow! Paddling 300 miles in 7 days with tennis elbow should be fun!!! Add the Everglades skeeters and heat should be a blast!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Forgot to add...sitting in my Docs office to refill my Vit I 800mg prescription and get steroid shot in my elbow! Paddling 300 miles in 7 days with tennis elbow should be fun!!! Add the Everglades skeeters and heat should be a blast!!
    This is a serious question, not bad-mounting your 800mg prescription, but is there any difference between those 800mg pills and simply 4 200mg generic ibuprofen at roughly 1.5 cents a tablet (store brand, 500 tablets for less than $8)? I've just always wondered, perhaps there really is a difference, or perhaps you just like the convenience.

One more current training regimen: Trying to GAIN about 5 pounds before next week, anticipating losing over twice that over the next 6 weeks; I'm a firm believer of pre-gaining a bit of fat, then running in a slight calorie deficit, this has always seemed to work well for me.

Saw my hiking slush fund (HSF so no one knows) that I regularly put $25-$50 each wk was looking sweet. Just ordered and received a Lone Star Tr Guidebook. Will 120 mile thru-hike that in a 4-5 day short wk 3 wks from now as another shakedown hike. Will do some other stuff around Houston walking the city almost all the time. Will seek to drop 4 lbs alone over those 4-5 days. Costing $340 total with all flights between Atlanta and Houston, trail food, and door to door shuttles pre arranged. Already had all gear.

Waking 8 miles in quickly on my days off work. 3 miles on work days.

Every other week 15 mile days two days in a row. Just working on better form and consistent pacing now. Will add weight and slow down later.

Always looking at fear and improvements. Not really weight savings but quicker setup and takedown, meal prep. Would rather be hiking or resting than busy campwork.

https://m.youtube.com/my_videos

I never thought of trampoline for exercise. Kids have one I may have to try.

https://m.youtube.com/my_videos

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    This is a serious question, not bad-mounting your 800mg prescription, but is there any difference between those 800mg pills and simply 4 200mg generic ibuprofen at roughly 1.5 cents a tablet (store brand, 500 tablets for less than $8)? I've just always wondered, perhaps there really is a difference, or perhaps you just like the convenience.

One more current training regimen: Trying to GAIN about 5 pounds before next week, anticipating losing over twice that over the next 6 weeks; I'm a firm believer of pre-gaining a bit of fat, then running in a slight calorie deficit, this has always seemed to work well for me.
    I'll give ya the 5 lbs I'm going to lose.

Bill came for the emergency ride in the ambulance I recently experienced. Requested an itemized bill. The 25 mpg of brain numbing Fentanyl I finally agreed to after having it pushed on me 4 times before I agreed, which was the lowest dose they had, and I was told would not adversely affect me cognitively, cost $124. No wonder why pharmaceutical pain, anxiety, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory drug manufacturers want to keep cannabis illegal. Some ENORMOUS SUMS OF MONEY being made in the pharmaceutical industry particularly in this pill popping there's a "safe" when used as directed pill for every thing U.S. culture where the owners don't want a competing self medicating product.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++