WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Bought airplane ticket. The travel agent erred and made my departure and arrival for 5 months instead of 6. Spent an unnecessary amount of currency correcting the problem as I have no intention of running from Georgia to Maine. Then booked a cabin at Amocolola Falls Lodge. The fun part is I have to stay in it for 2 nights. As such I'll now have an extra day acclimatizing and learning to speak American with expressions like "It is what it is" and "Off the bat" etc...

Journal Entries
    Images

Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I retired yesterday after 35 years with the Corps of Engineers, overlapping with 23 years as an engineer officer on active and reserve duty.

I've declared 2018 as the year - April on Springer and September on Katahdin.

I've been lazy, I haven't done any serious miles since Veterans Day, so today I walked 4+ miles through a local park to get to the library that's only a half mile from my house. 17*, light snow, trails were hard packed but my MicroSpikes were welcome. Stopped at Pittsburgh's only vegetarian kosher Dunkin Donuts to warm up, then onto the State Store to stock up against threatened snow.

Tomorrow we go shopping to prepare meals to dehydrate. One of my Christmas presents was a vacuum sealer.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I retired yesterday after 35 years with the Corps of Engineers, overlapping with 23 years as an engineer officer on active and reserve duty.
    I've declared 2018 as the year - April on Springer and September on Katahdin.
    I've been lazy, I haven't done any serious miles since Veterans Day, so today I walked 4+ miles through a local park to get to the library that's only a half mile from my house. 17*, light snow, trails were hard packed but my MicroSpikes were welcome. Stopped at Pittsburgh's only vegetarian kosher Dunkin Donuts to warm up, then onto the State Store to stock up against threatened snow.
    Tomorrow we go shopping to prepare meals to dehydrate. One of my Christmas presents was a vacuum sealer.
    Congratulations on your retirement! Best of luck on your 2018 thru-hike.

Despite the cold, it was a good week. Sewed a down skirt and vest, spent time on the stair climber, did sit ups, push ups, and arm stuff, hiked, and road cycled.

Took a bunch a meds to get over this damn flu bug...and absconded a plastic stiffener from the bottom of my wife’s reusable grocery bag for a light weight cutting board.

45 min on the treadmill @ 11 incline and 4.2 mph...great for strong ankles and leg muscles, cardio.

Mountain biking to stay in shape.
    Crashed.
    Now I have a three piece collar bone. Won't be backpacking for a while.

nice overnight sat-sun on the Tunxis Trail in CT with a friend, a little over 17 miles from the Farmington River Tpke to Route 20. Stayed at the Roaring Brook campsite and was another group of campers there. Nice days in the 40s with snow melting and lows not much below freezing. Beautiful part of CT around the Barkhamstead reservoirs.

Been hiking/camping with a good friend this year (some weekends solo) which has been cool but I keep thinking how happy I am to be going solo on the AT. We hiked past a view and some caves in the dark so I was making a point to go check it out again in the morning. I was up by 6:30 which is actually late for me, packed all my stuff and asked my buddy but he didn't want to get up. Took all my stuff and got back to camp after 9 and I still had to wake him up again! .... then we didn't actually get moving till almost noon.... and sure enough we're pushing it at 6pm in the dark to get back to the truck.... only cause of that thing called "work" on monday morning.

It's all good that's all meant in a happy/joking way but man I sure like hiking solo. I'm gonna try to do some trips more my style before heading out. Get to camp by dark and to sleep not much after dark, then get up early/pack up in the dark and start hiking right before sunrise when it just starts getting light or even a little with the headlamp. I like hiking early from dark into the light.

could only do overnight on the weekend for now but last day of work is Feb 23rd and I leave March 7th for the trail... so I plan on getting some good ones in between there before I head out.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Leaving tomorrow for Georgia, we (wife and I) did a stupid thing and climbed a big-vertical peak (Rosalie peak, 13,550', 4400' climb) yesterday, totally wasted my legs (my wife is fine....) in snowshoes and big buffeting winds most of the way, not sure what we were thinking, way over-trained, should have kept to a pure taper this week, oh well! Off for a last upper body workout for many weeks....
    ​Awesome picture! Thanks for sharing.
    "A man's got to know his limitations"
    Clint Eastwood.

Journal Entries
    Images

Spent yesterday morning cleaning up the debris from our Mardi Gras Party, so I didn't get out until about 1:30. Did only about 5 miles with my AT load, on still icy and muddy trails - my MicroSpikes worked well.

Did the last 2/3 in a light, 43* rain. When I got home I took everything out of my pack to dry it. Compactor bag and ziplocks kept everything dry that should be dry. I weighed my pack wet yesterday and dry today and the difference was 14 ounces. Almost a pound of water weight - it could be an argument for a pack cover.

Tomorrow is Mardi Gras - laissez la bon temps rouler!
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Placed an order for a backpack and have been walking 2.25 miles in the morning and in the evening for a total of 4.5 per day. This is to start getting my lower body conditioned for constant use beginning at the end of April. I also got a confirmation from a long time friend that I haven't seen for some time to join me on a section of the AT. He's totally excited about the hike as much as I am. Gear recommendations for him soon.

Leonidas

Just got back from an 107 mile section of the Pinhoti Trail, wet and muddy but great views and a great trail!
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries
    Images

Dehydrated Demeter’s Mexi-Cali Beef and Bean Quinoa and Betty Crocker’s (didn’t realize that Betty backpacked, did you?) Stuffed Pepper Casserole and vacuum sealed the meals.

Sat last night and figured out the drive from Pittsburgh to Amicalola.

Going to take my 4 mile walk to the library that’s only a half mile away. Do another test run for the SPOT device.

I’ve been resisting but I’m going to trim the divider from my pack to lighten it some. I’ve already deleted stuff from my phone to lighten it up.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    Dehydrated Demeter’s Mexi-Cali Beef and Bean Quinoa and Betty Crocker’s (didn’t realize that Betty backpacked, did you?) Stuffed Pepper Casserole and vacuum sealed the meals.

Sat last night and figured out the drive from Pittsburgh to Amicalola.

Going to take my 4 mile walk to the library that’s only a half mile away. Do another test run for the SPOT device.
    I’ve been resisting but I’m going to trim the divider from my pack to lighten it some. I’ve already deleted stuff from my phone to lighten it up.

This week:

Copied all of my handwritten comments from my 2013 AT Companion and 2015 AT Guide into my 2018 AT Guide. Copied some stuff from Guthook into the AT Guide.

Some hiking with my AT load. Finalized my mail drops and set up boxes and mailing labels; checked that they are still accepting mail drops.

Started throwing drink mix, Lara bars, Snickers, etc in boxes. Compulsive enough to ensure that each resupply box doesn't contain duplicates (some think anal compulsive is an insult, we know that it's not). My wife is wondering why half rolls of toilet paper are disappearing from the bathrooms.

Inventoried what meals that I've already dehydrated. Currently dehydrating black eyed peas, corn and bulgur for Spanish Bulgur dinners. Next is Creamy Hawaiian Tuna (I've come a long way from the instant rice, spam and ketchup that I used to do as a young bachelor officer.) But don't worry, I also have ramen, tuna and Knorr's pasta/rice sides.

Went to Wally World to make up shortages. That alone is an experience.

Need to package up breakfasts and lunches for mail drops; package meds, etc.

Inspired another guy to think about the AT, much to his wife's consternation.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

This week in addition to my normal right and left arm bends to get that beer to the mouth I opted for some intensive research. Is there anything better than a snickers bar? Well after trying almost 60 different bars, a couple of technicolour yawns and a blood test for possible diabetes type 2, I can categorically state there is no better bar. Next week, if I get the doctors clearance, I will be looking at that age old question. Are all ramen noodles equal?
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Bought gear. I now have 2 1/3 of the big 3 .

I'm making a quilt and bought insulation. Still gotta buy the rest. Then make it.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Posted more of my stuff for sale on Craigslist.

Contemplating whether or not I should keep or sell my truck before my hike.

I have a place to keep it outside and safe at my rents house. But...you know how that can go.

I need to go to Walmart and get a moving box. Told myself pretty much all of my possessions need to fit in the box before i leave. Aside from one guitar and my tools.

It'll be pretty liberating when I know all of my stuff I need to be happy can fit in the trunk of a Honda civic.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    I admire you that at your age, you recognize the burden of having "stuff". My wife is mid 40's and she is just now starting to understand the freedom of owning little. I've been downsizing for years, little by little. My problem is that I have have residences on opposite sides of the planet and it's hard to manage both.

Quote Originally Posted by Singto View Post
    I admire you that at your age, you recognize the burden of having "stuff". My wife is mid 40's and she is just now starting to understand the freedom of owning little. I've been downsizing for years, little by little. My problem is that I have have residences on opposite sides of the planet and it's hard to manage both.
    I know how you feel. It has nothing to do with being minimalist or anything, I just try not to collect too much stuff anymore. I pretty much go through all my things once a month and throw out or recycle things I don't need it. It can be as minute as old mail or articles of clothes. You'd be amazed at how much clutter this can add up to.

I do have a lot of tools though. A work bench and two tool boxes full. As long as I have a place to keep them I would never want to sell them. My father doesn't mind me keeping them in his garage. I wonder why lol. They do go hand in hand with what I do for work though.

I don't have much furniture and definitely not about to finance a god damn couch like some people my age I know. I haven't moved in a while but when I do I'm going to giveaway the last of my furniture to my neighbor. When I need more I buy second hand for very cheap and refinish it myself.

Sentimental items are nice to keep.

I have helped about 5 people move in the past two years. It's amazing how much actually junk people take with them. It sometimes looks like they emptied the junk drawer into a box and taped it up.

Backpacking has definitely influenced this lifestyle. I'm not a minimalist, I do own stuff I don't need, and I could most certainly get rid of more. But we have our hobbies and toys and more items comes with that territory. It's just important to filter out items every so often.

I like nice things and enjoy them. But I could care less about keeping up with Jones's or showing off what I have. I'm just happy I have the means to make some of my dreams happen. The trail taught me that.

Another thing the trail has taught me is that some of the most caring, generous, and thoughtful people are way less fortunate than I am. And that has always stuck with me. I have a much easier time just donating stuff now.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

It's about that time for me. Took my trekking clothes and shoes to work with me so I can change into them around 6 pm and go hike the 22 floor state capitol building a couple of times. It's the only worthwhile hill around these parts to train on.

Leonidas

Getting gear together for ATKO. Taking a buddy out for his first trip in several years, making sure he is ready to section with us this summer.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
++ New Posts ++