WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Hmm, this week? Got laid off from my job, stopped showering regularly, and took several nice hikes through the rain and mud. Wait, what am I preparing for again?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Went to Vicksburg and sat in a conference room for three days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Hmm, this week? Got laid off from my job, stopped showering regularly, and took several nice hikes through the rain and mud. Wait, what am I preparing for again?
    Livin' the dream, man! I wish I could get laid off. Im rapidly starting to despise some people I work with/for.

So far this week did two 6 mile hikes and a 5 mile walk with the dogs. At the moment, my gear for next weekend is on the dining room table for a final look-see and weigh.

Posted more of my stuff for sale on Craigslist.

Contemplating whether or not I should keep or sell my truck before my hike.

I have a place to keep it outside and safe at my rents house. But...you know how that can go.

I need to go to Walmart and get a moving box. Told myself pretty much all of my possessions need to fit in the box before i leave. Aside from one guitar and my tools.

It'll be pretty liberating when I know all of my stuff I need to be happy can fit in the trunk of a Honda civic.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Tested out my little Canon camera

IMG_0013.JPG

Bit dark

IMG_0010.JPG

Spot the scissors next to the whistle next to the pen next to the torch

IMG_0006.JPG

42 miles in the south Florida heat. About 6 miles a day. Planning a day hike with the temp pack and about 20lbs on the Florida trail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. That's the little one

Saw a 12' the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    Well I shoveled snow on: Tuesday, trying to stay ahead of storm for 9 hours I lost that race
    Wednesday, cleaned up the last 10 in. on walks and driveways of the white stuff in 4 hours
    Thursday, dig out cars and neighbors cars for over 6 hours
    Friday, see Thursday, fun to guess what kind of car it is by snow pile shape
    Weekend, NOT A DAMN THING !
    Hahahaha.

Shoveling the 6" of wet snow off my driveway - again. Guess I'm lucky, 800 feet higher up the hill they got 12".
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Been hiking with my backpack at the local nature preserve and up and down some very uninspiring parking garage stairs. After oodles of testing my stove and another one I decided to bite the bullet and believe the marketing hype of JetBoil and bought a MicroMo. I need to fire it up this weekend and just make sure I know how to run it. Should be simple but I would rather figure it out before I head out for my 30 days. Got my pack completely packed as I have been hiking with it. Trying to decide if I am going to wear a hat or not. I used to always wear a baseball cap, hiking or not. Not so much anymore.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Ordered my tent and first pair of trail runners. Wore my zip-off hiking pants in shorts mode for the first time on a walk to the local Goodwill (4 miles) where I picked up a wool blend shirt as my possible mid layer for the start of the AT next March. (I figure that'll get sent home after the Smokies, so warmth at a low price is more important than striving for the lightest weight. Though I am going to remove the pocket and labels.) Experimented with making instant cocoa mix less dreadful by adding Nido Fortificada. (Still dreadful compared to real hot chocolate, just less so. What genius at Swiss Miss decided that cocoa needed palm kernel oil more than milk?)

Went to the Flea Market and bought a few pounds of the trail mix I like. A week from now, I'll be starting my next section hike.
    The trail mix has no Chex or pretzel "fillers", it's just nuts, seeds, and dehydrated fruits @ $6.99 / lb... I used to add m&m's to the mix, but I started adding yesterday's leftovers to this morning's oatmeal to get me more than an hour of energy from breakfast - and the m&m's just make my pot harder to clean.

...and I went for a short hike with my pack yesterday in a local preserve that has some elevation change.

Today, I call to arrange a shuttle. Later this week, I'll change the oil in my truck, treat all my hiking clothes with permethrin, and I'll watch the extended forecast for up around Hot Springs to help me decide which sleeping bag and how many layers to bring... then this weekend, drive on up!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy2k11 View Post

Yep. That's the little one

Saw a 12' the same day.

I'd be more worried about the snakes than the alligators. I read about a snake eating a man whole recently; although it was somewhere in the far east, those same snakes are here in Florida now.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

IDsailor... they shot and killed a 14' Burmese Python last week, about 2 miles south of where my gator pic was taken and they are currently under a "python" hunt in the everglades...but yeah nasty invasive species. We do tend to pay a little more attention to snakes. Knowing that water moccasin are not always black or in the water. SO much of the Florida trail is below the water level table things tend to be water/mud flexible. The biggest animal that i worry about/pain in the ass.... the damn mosquitoes

I have my meals and snacks set up so my husband will know what to send me (hopefully). I may toss in some freeze dried berries/fruits as well.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Bought some cacao powder today. It's an ancient Mayan superfood that contains a monster amount of magnesium. You add it to your morning rolled oats and then run up hills. For potassium I got some barley grass that will make me fly down hills. Also bought green powder tablets that contains chlorella and spirulina. The quantity is enough to last a month. Thereafter it's snickers all the way.

I made logan bread with 1/2 cup chia seeds thrown in. Pretty tasty

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++