WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tenting after Hawk Mountain

Are there any decent/scenic campsites a mile or two after Hawk Mountain?

There are several spots on top of Justus and Sassafras, but no water.

Not sure when the new re-route will open, and not sure if it will bypass both summits or not.

There are some nice spots on the top of Sassafras, but as said previously, there is no water up there. I think the next water is around 3 miles at Justus Creek.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Which hawk mountain? GA or PA? NOBO or SOBO?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    There are several spots on top of Justus and Sassafras, but no water.

Not sure when the new re-route will open, and not sure if it will bypass both summits or not.
    It reroutes around Justus, but not Sassafras. You will still have to face that beast.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Which hawk mountain? GA or PA? NOBO or SOBO?
    GA. A friend of mine is starting the trail on Thursday. I'm sure the Hawk Mountain area will be packed, so I'm looking for options to suggest.

Images

The last time I started at Springer in March (for a GA section) it was packed at Hawk, but I found it surprisingly ok. I was able to set up a tent away from the shelter, and have interesting conversations with a lot of starting thru-hikers, then get some privacy in my tent.

I don't recall any truly decent campsites past the shelter. There are "campsites" at Hightower and Horse Gaps, but they are right on USFS42 and otherwise not great camping areas. Sassafras had a couple of sites, but I'd need to carry water from Hawk. I've camped at the old Justus Creek crossing, which was a great spot, but I haven't done this section since the reroute and the construction of tent pads at the creek. Plus Justus is a long day with big climbs at the end.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I've been to Hawk in both March and April. When it is packed, head down the side trail from the shelter(to the creek. There are two really sweet camp sites hidden in the rhodos right next to the creek. It's about....1/4 mile from the shelter...downhill...

You can get water behind the old Hawk shelter then continue on about a half mile to the gap, then up the next hill there is a nice campsite on your left. Not too far.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Hawk Mountain may be packed but has been packed with excited, positive backpackers who have yet to experience the agony of Sassafras Mountain. If they are carrying lots of water, I think that they will find beauty even on Sassafras. I personally have wished to be able to enjoy sleeping by Justus Creek. Always good to see posts from Sly.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

There is a spot after Hawk that is one of my favorites, but it's 10 miles later at mile 18.7. It's really pretty and I always make it a point to camp there

This guy just started hiking last March in Harpers Ferry and hiked to NJ, and has peak bagged the NH 4000 so I don't know how well he react to the crowds. My advice will be to have dinner in the shelter areas or stock up on water and dry camp a few miles later.

++ New Posts ++