WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default For trail coffee lovers

http://www.thrueat.com/blog/best-coffee-backpacking

Thought this might help although it's been discussed before.

Have to agree with the article. Haven't seen anything to improve on Starbucks Via.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    Have to agree with the article. Haven't seen anything to improve on Starbucks Via.
    I like the Via Italian Roast. Cafe Bustelo is equally good. @ $1/6 servings Cafe Bustelo is AWESOME!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    me on the other hand....almost every instant variety I have tried I like better than via. Camping the other weekend with a some friends who were drinking just plain old nescafe. Pretty sure I'd rate it above via.
    it's such a personal taste thing I guess...

Maybe I'm weird, cause I don't really care for starbucks brewed stuff either..... it's ok, but not my favorite. I'm talking regular brew from the shop, or even their retail stuff. I find it bitter, but I like their expresso stuff just fine.

I have some stuff now I had read about so ordered to give a try.... form Korea....maxim. It has the creamer and sugar already mixed in, very good flavor but I find the variety I bought (gold I think it is) is way too sweet and a little weak. I learned that you can pinch the bottom of the "tube" and catch the bulk of the sugar before it pours (sugar settles to the bottom)

I like some of there products, what I don't like is their incessant push to sell me ideas I'm not looking for, so I no longer shop there.

I guess instant coffee is better than nothing.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

If I can't have real coffee I'm not going. GSI sells a sub-1-oz filter basket. It brews weak unless you use a paper filter inside. So I pack some paper filters and some ground coffee.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    . . . GSI sells a sub-1-oz filter basket. It brews weak unless you use a paper filter inside. So I pack some paper filters and some ground coffee.
    REI lists the weight of the GSI Ultralight Drip Coffee Maker as 0.4 oz. I use one quite a bit, often even at home. I love it. I find it brews my coffee just perfectly, without the addition of paper if I do not pour all the water through at once. Instead, I splash in a little to wet the coffee down, then pour in a little more to start the extraction, then pour through the rest to the level I want.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm with Shug on the Medaglia D'Oro. Whoooo Buddy!
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    I'm with Shug on the Medaglia D'Oro. Whoooo Buddy!
    I've had a jar of that stuff in the cabinet for years. Junk I tell you. Mrs. Wayne won't even use it for cooking.
    All of which proves that no two people like the same coffee.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Cowboy coffee is some of the best coffee out there. You don't need anything that you don't already have other than coffee and sugar.

Images

Coffee is soooooooo subjective, but perhaps those Starbuks haters out there will at least acknowledge that there are many folks who really love the stuff, and that maybe we're not all a bunch of nut-bars, nor are we just following some sort of fad. When I had my first instant Via many years ago now, I clearly remember thinking, "finally, this is it! A drinkable instant coffee, perfect for backpacking !".

Via's are pretty much the only instant coffee's that are almost as satisfying as "real" coffee, and the convenience (over all those weird little devices people mess with on the trail) is worth that small bit (to me and many of us) degradation from "real" brewed coffee. One other brand/make that is drinkable is the Folgers Dark Silk instant packs, a bit cheaper, but not quite as good as a Via. I've tried all those others folks on here mention, and they aren't even close to Via's, and many of them are downright undrinkable.

Purely subjective!

I've been a big fan of G7 3-n-1 coffee. It's nice because it has a nice balance of cream and sugar in it, and you only have to bring the packets and not worry about the condiments. Sometimes I bring the G7 regular coffee (strong and bold) and will add it to the 3-n-1 packet for a bolder brew.

Images

Another subjective input. Via is Ok and will do if I can't find Clasico by NesCafe.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

My best instant coffee find ever. And I've tried them all.

https://www.amazon.com/G7-Instant-Co.../dp/B008A0AL0G

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    My best instant coffee find ever. And I've tried them all.

https://www.amazon.com/G7-Instant-Co.../dp/B008A0AL0G
    Have you had the opportunity to compare it to the Korean 3 in 1 options?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I cannot stand any of the granular coffee, even starbucks via. My choice is coffee bags.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/10448886?...&wl13=&veh=sem
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

When VIA was first released the had people in the stores offering blind tastings comparing VIA to brewed Starbucks. I was asked to pick which was which and I couldn't tell by taste. The only difference I noticed was I could see the residue of the micro ground coffee in the VIA. The brewed Starbucks was clear.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Coffee is soooooooo subjective, but perhaps those Starbuks haters out there will at least acknowledge that there are many folks who really love the stuff, and that maybe we're not all a bunch of nut-bars, nor are we just following some sort of fad. When I had my first instant Via many years ago now, I clearly remember thinking, "finally, this is it! A drinkable instant coffee, perfect for backpacking !".

Via's are pretty much the only instant coffee's that are almost as satisfying as "real" coffee, and the convenience (over all those weird little devices people mess with on the trail) is worth that small bit (to me and many of us) degradation from "real" brewed coffee.

Purely subjective!
    That's largely in a nutshell why this was started. I thought it might help folks with alternatives to consider too.

I thought that trail coffee test was fair exampled by the author/test conductor saying he/she had other preconceived ideas. It shows me consideration of open mindedness.

I've had similar likes for the same reasons using the Aero Press for at home and car camping so could associate with their anal coffee snobbery usage.

That thru-eat site also was fair about Harmony House dehydrated products looking better with less moisture regarding the dehydrated peas and black beans than the author's own DIY versions. My dehydrated black means mainly split open too so could associate. I liked they were dehydrating things like black beans, broccoli, chicken, mushrooms, black olives, pineapple, and shrimp providing simple succinct directions. These are all I will consume on trail but paying more than desired prices. This gives me alternatives of making up a large dehydrated batch saving some do re mi. Never heard of anyone dehydrating yogurt.

Never heard of anyone dehydrating yogurt.

That's what they do with yogurt coated raisins. Seems like they also put a lot of sugar in it, however.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++