WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I bought new shoes in Damascus and they were 1/2 size larger than what I used to wear. And my feet didn't shrink back to their normal size after I got off the trail...they are still 1/2 size larger than they used to be.

Images

My shoe size didn't change after my thru but I was also hiking and running quite a bit prior to the hike. However, they did get wider right behind the toes and the only shoes that feel really good are the Altras
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

This is another case of YMMV. My foot size did increase by about 1 size while in the Army. While I didn't spend 5 months walking 10-20 miles a day, when we did carry a pack I would have loved it if it were "only" 35 lbs.

I haven't thru hiked (yet) but like other have said, I would just be aware of how your shoes are fitting on the trail, and if it feels like you need to move up when you are ready for a new pair, then just do it.

I can tell you this much: having shoes that are too tight is MUCH worse than shoes that are too loose.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Over the course of 10 years of serious sectioning My feet got wider from 13 EE to 13 EEEE.
    I'm also a section hiker, and my shoe size has gone from 10 1/2 to 13 between my early 20s and my late 50s.

Images

Used to wear size 11, now 13
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Yes one full size

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++