WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: DIY Quilt

Default DIY Quilt

Okay so I'm intrigued by DIY synthetic quilts, and was wonder if any of you guys have made one, and to what temperature yours is comfortable/ safe to, and if I would be able to use one on the Pct? (Run on sentence I know)

I made a "karo step" quilt following the advice of Joe Brewer's youtube vids. 3" of loft with 1lb of 900 fill down. Came in at 17oz and I'm comfortable (I'm a warm sleeper) with full length upper and lower base layer down to freezing.

Sorry, that is sleeping in a tent (tarptent moment dw)

I made a quilt using 6oz Climashield Apex from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics. The coldest I've used it is 27° on the JMT. After 5yrs, it's lost a little loft, but I was still toasty last month at 38°. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on the PCT.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Puddle sleeper View Post
    . . . and if I would be able to use one on the Pct? (Run on sentence I know)
    I don't know.

Maybe you could take the lead from someone else that, although apparently difficult to deal with as a business partner, has spent more time backpacking and traveling the world than most anyone active on this site will ever have time for. . . http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm

To actually answer your question. Of course you can make a quilt that will be completely appropriate for the PCT or pretty much anywhere else you want to travel.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Thanks for the link. I'm wondering about their warmth/weight claims.

The batting they use is easier to work with, though I thought the current weight /warmth was 550 equivalent?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.digit...nsulation/amp/

Now wondering about better pricing.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...old-3-oz-sq-yd

++ New Posts ++