WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    That wasn't your argument, you said this product was a "sham" insinuating that zpacks was conducting itself in a dishonest way. I haven't seen these same set of features in any other product including the examples that people have linked to here. The fleece that zpacks is using is not the same as your example, it is heavier. They designed and built it based on what they believe people need and want and offer it at price that customers can take or leave. It will be worth it for some but others (like you and I) are likely to find alternatives that meet our needs in a different way. But this is honest product development and marketing.
    +100 Not my cuppa joe, either — not the features nor the price — and the solution is simple: Don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    I really like power wool pullover! Do you have any experience with any of these products? THanks!
    Fleece pants and wind pro balaclava. Looking at some of the softshell pants for Winter hiking in the White mountains, but havent pulled the trigger on that, yet, and Winter is almost over. I've tried on their hooded fleece jackets. I liked the fit and feel. I'm tall and the hoods didn't choke me or knock off my glasses when I turned my head. They do have thumb holes since they are designed as a base or midlayer. Sleeves are long enough for my lanky frame. If I already didnt have a variety of fleece jackets from Patagoochi, LLBean and Eddie Bauer's First Ascent line, I would be tempted. Its a cool little gear store with access to cross country skiing behind the property.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Fleece pants and wind pro balaclava. Looking at some of the softshell pants for Winter hiking in the White mountains, but havent pulled the trigger on that, yet, and Winter is almost over. I've tried on their hooded fleece jackets. I liked the fit and feel. I'm tall and the hoods didn't choke me or knock off my glasses when I turned my head. They do have thumb holes since they are designed as a base or midlayer. Sleeves are long enough for my lanky frame. If I already didnt have a variety of fleece jackets from Patagoochi, LLBean and Eddie Bauer's First Ascent line, I would be tempted. Its a cool little gear store with access to cross country skiing behind the property.

Awesome! thanks for the info

If money was no object I would have one of the Zpacks fleeces. It's a good design with a lot of features for the weight. My favorite fleece that I own is the Melanzana Micro Grid. I wouldn't buy a fleece without a hood at this point. One reason is that I often sleep in it and use a Zpacks sleeping bag which only comes up to the neck. Since it's not a mummy bag I like having something with a hood. If it's a spring or fall trip I don't carry a beanie because I use the hood. I use a tarp so and when the mosquitos have been really bad I have slept with a hat/bugnet combo and the hood has kept my neck and back from getting bit up.

Quote Originally Posted by lukabrazi View Post
    If money was no object I would have one of the Zpacks fleeces. It's a good design with a lot of features for the weight. My favorite fleece that I own is the Melanzana Micro Grid. I wouldn't buy a fleece without a hood at this point. One reason is that I often sleep in it and use a Zpacks sleeping bag which only comes up to the neck. Since it's not a mummy bag I like having something with a hood. If it's a spring or fall trip I don't carry a beanie because I use the hood. I use a tarp so and when the mosquitos have been really bad I have slept with a hat/bugnet combo and the hood has kept my neck and back from getting bit up.

Right on. Another vote for the Melanzana hoody. Like I said, I keep seeing this name pop up.

I agree with you. The hood adds a level of versatility that is hard to beat.

I am super happy with my melanzana, but polartec fleece is polartec fleece. I am sure there's a perfectly reasonable fleece hanging on a rack at your local thrift store for a few bucks.

I have a zpacks fleece. I got mine when they were first offered, they were $115 then. Plus, I got it as a gift, so. Besides, it's a very nice jacket. It's surprisingly lightweight, and has a nice trim fit, which in turns packs very well. Also the hood is great, the added warmth provided when your clothing is at a minimum is precious. The fleece itself is very nice, not like other cheap fleeces I own. Couldn't care less about thumb holes, but the full zipper to vent is great too.
    Having said all of that, $150 is way too much for what it is, and if I was currently looking for a fleece to buy myself, I too would look elsewhere to save money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++