WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default How is NeoAir Xlite (Reg) folded for repacking?

To repack a NeoAir Xlite (Regular), do you fold the pad in half to roll it up or is it a tri-fold.

I own a NeoAir Xlite (Large), and the one thing I dislike about it is the way it packs up is the way you have to tri-fold it before rolling it up. By contrast y Prolite pads simply fold in half to roll up.

But the specifications for the NeoAir Xlite (Regular) have a pack size listed as 9"x4". Seems impossible for a 20" wide pad to simply fold in half and that specification be true.

Images

I simply fold and roll mine, and yeah, your math works, but is it being 10" long a concern? Sometimes I roll it up full width, then fold the thin roll in half, kind of, more like an arc, seems to stuff nicely down around my sleeping bag this way.

Journal Entries
    Images

Use a sack that all I have to do is roll mine I think its repurposed tent pole sack. But its a tri fold stock
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Images

Yes it is a bit of a pain, but I always tri fold and then roll it and it goes neatly back into the original stuff sack.

I simply fold flat as it's my frame for frameless pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another needless stuff sack

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post

You beat me to it. No need for a stuff sack. Count those ounces. Easy to protect the mattress by using reasonable care when packing. I nearly always simply stuff mine down in my sleeping bag (which also doesn't need a stuff sack). If the mattress is damp, which is rare, I'll put it in my pack's outside mesh pocket.

+1 Of course another vote for no stuff sack (What does it do, anyway??), and also another reason besides needless weight, which is the hassle and time needed to completely expel the air and fold it neatly and coax it into the barely-large-enough stuff sack. Another reason it takes some people so long to pack up and get on the trail.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    Yes it is a bit of a pain, but I always tri fold and then roll it and it goes neatly back into the original stuff sack.
    So you have the 'Regular' size and NOT the 'Large' and you have to tri fold to get it back in the stuff sack? (Just double checking).

I'm asking (and double checking) because I am considering getting my son a NeoAir Xlite. He currently uses the Prolite, but he simply doesn't have the strength to get it rolled up tight enough to return it to the stuff sack. I figured the NeoAir would be easier for him to handle it (so that it's one less thing that I have to do in the morning when we go camping).

But if it's a hassle because it too (like the large) has to be tri-folded, I might consider going for an even easier solution... the Z-Rest (just a whole lot more bulkier).

Well, in addition to the stuff sack offering some protection... I also use it for organization.
    I my case, the stuff sack contains the repair kit, the pad, pillow, and the sack I use to inflate the pad.

My 1st NeoAir experienced delamination of the baffles from the moisture of my breath. So I try to minimize blowing into the pad. Instead, got the Air Tap and use it with a thin trash bag to do most of the inflating.

I've just ordered the NeoAir Xlite (large) so interested to see the opinions of others. Apparently all airbags accumulate mold inside of them after a while, so using a pump is one way to avoid swallowing a few spores.

Images

I tri-fold my regular Neoair Xlite. I do have a stuff sack for it, and the stuff sack is plenty large enough, no effort needed to get the pad in the sack. I do understand the "no stuff sack" crowd, though.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Hookoo, I have the large & my wife uses the regular. We both tri fold, roll & return to original stuff sack. I understand the no stuff sack idea but I'm just to damn OCD for that!

Those packed measurements are based on folding in half length wise then rolling up neatly from the foot end to the nozzle end leaving the nozzle open as you roll it up. I pre almost entirely deflate before rolling up. The nozzle rec helps condense the volume of the rolled pad. After the pad is tightly rolled tighten nozzle closed.

Most of my Neo's are used for a virtual suspension/frame in frameless rucksack type backpacks so I fold 3 to 5 times differently based on if using a Shortie, Womans, or rarely a full size but when having one that is rolled as you want and as described a rubber band does the job of holding it together with the combined nozzle closed

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    So you have the 'Regular' size and NOT the 'Large' and you have to tri fold to get it back in the stuff sack? (Just double checking).

I'm asking (and double checking) because I am considering getting my son a NeoAir Xlite. He currently uses the Prolite, but he simply doesn't have the strength to get it rolled up tight enough to return it to the stuff sack. I figured the NeoAir would be easier for him to handle it (so that it's one less thing that I have to do in the morning when we go camping).

But if it's a hassle because it too (like the large) has to be tri-folded, I might consider going for an even easier solution... the Z-Rest (just a whole lot more bulkier).

Well, in addition to the stuff sack offering some protection... I also use it for organization.
    I my case, the stuff sack contains the repair kit, the pad, pillow, and the sack I use to inflate the pad.

My 1st NeoAir experienced delamination of the baffles from the moisture of my breath. So I try to minimize blowing into the pad. Instead, got the Air Tap and use it with a thin trash bag to do most of the inflating.
    They all delaminate over time...I've had a few...even guys at CD told me it's fine to simply blow up by mouth...I tried the pump sack and compactor bag. I find it easier to blow up by mouth....pillow simply goes in sleeping bag in compactor bag and repair kit in first aid kit....+1 for the cut down zlite for a kid....so much easier....

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    I've just ordered the NeoAir Xlite (large) so interested to see the opinions of others. Apparently all airbags accumulate mold inside of them after a while, so using a pump is one way to avoid swallowing a few spores.
    Your supposed to blow not suck.......no pun intended!!!

The delam of the baffle pleats was more an issue on the earliest Neo Air versions. I had two that CD replaced freely without charge but that's going back a couple of yrs. It may be as said but I think the baffle seam pleats deconstructing was caused by more than wet warm air blown into the mattress.

Images

I tri-fold my large(shortened) Neo-air and place it in a Big Agnes pump sack for protection, then they are always together for blowing it up.

Journal Entries
    Images

I do not fold mine and simply roll skinny and slide in my pack vertically. I find it uses space more efficiently in my pack that way. To fit in original sack is a tri fold. It will fit in the pump sack with no fold.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

I simply fold flat as it's my frame for frameless pack

yup, this is what I do as well. Put a bit on air in it and it is incredibly comfortable. Too much work to fold, roll and/or stuff.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

You can fold it any way you like.....

If yous wants to put in the dainty little stuffsak, it takes thirds, thats da way it fits, short and fatter.

Way too much trouble

Fold in half, roll up, close valve,stick rubber band around, done.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++