WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Not Ultralight, but not Ultraexpensive, 12lb for around $300.

Under 7lbs for the big three. Gear snobs will likely toss their cookies, but I've used this setup before and have been comfortable. It's functional. I'm not super happy with the sleeping bag, it's OK for 45~50 degree nights. Colder/wetter and I will carry a heavier synthetic bag for an extra 1.5lb penalty.

Most of this stuff I have caught on sale somewhere online. It's a waiting game to get good deals, but it can pay off.

No, I am not saying anything about how fantastic any of this gear is, just that it is very serviceable, lightweight and low cost... and probably more durable than lighter alternatives in many cases.

And there are a couple of things I've left out, like bug netting, but oh well.

https://lighterpack.com/r/1j5***

Not showing up. I'm interested.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

OK, this is really dumb!

The link ends with w t f and it automatically edits it to ***..... grrrr!

https://lighterpack.com/r/1j5***

Wow, this really takes my breath away! W T F!

Default I shall NOT be thwarted!!!

Annnnd.....

When the image pops up, click on it and you should get a version large enough to read. Apologies in advance to mobile users!

2enqpna.jpg

https://lighterpack.com/r/fd1161

I might look like less of an idiot if I could edit my posts, use HTML or DIV tags.

At least this link works!

Pretty awesome and efficient use of funds. Very light and tight kit.

Garlic
    Images

Yes, well done. For future consideration, subscribe to Gossamer Gear. Their packs often go on sale. I got my G4 for $80. Also subscribe to Steepandcheap. I found my Marmot Helium bag for just over $200, and that's seriously good for 15F. The Tarptent Protrail may be the best deal in UL shelters, in my opinion. My AT kit, good to 15F, cost me $750 and weighed under ten pounds.

nice job. save yourself about 6 oz by using a polycryo groundsheet instead of silnylon. don't forget a spoon. also I'd take a few more stakes so you can batten down the hatches when you need to.

Good job on that list. Looks like you thought through things very well as you went. The ground cloth and sleeping pad are the only places that jump out as -maybe- being possible options to save a couple more dollars and ounces. A basic blue foam pad has a bit less insulating value but would be plenty for 3 season use. Trim it to fit inside the sleeping bag and you're out the door for ~9 ounces and $10.

For the prices you paid, you've done well. I'm not a tarper, so this rig would never work for me. Also, I am suspicious of the rating on your bag for the weight and price...very suspicious...I am guessing it is a 45 degree bag, at best.

But, it's a cool weight to dollar ratio!

If you can find a cheap pack that is comfortable, then a warm weather setup does not have to be expensive at all to have a decent base weight. You did a particular good job finding great discounted prices!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smithereens View Post
    Try this link
    https://lighterpack.com/r/1j5wt%66

add one more pair of socks

Why? Presumably he's wearing one pair and those are in the pack.

He hasn't identified what he will be wearing. For all I know he could be carrying a brick in his pocket. But yeah, I get it, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    He hasn't identified what he will be wearing. For all I know he could be carrying a brick in his pocket. But yeah, I get it, Thanks
    White Sierra convertible pants ($24- sale @ Sunny Sports), Hanes wicking T shirt (freebie from work- really nice!), Russel poly sports undies ($?), dress socks from Wally and New Balance trail runners ($25 sale @ Amazon). And a boonie hat. Couldnt tell you the weights on any of it. ...

Hmmm, didn't add my Outdoor Products hiking poles either, but I use those almost all the time so they are in my hands, not part of the pack.

Gets you out there. Example of going lighter wt does not necessarily have to cost a bundle. Garlic gave another example.

Have to question this:

AEGISMAX Outdoor Urltra-Light 95% Goose Down Sleeping Bag Three-Season Down Sleeping Bag Mummy Down Sleeping Bag/Blue/Black/200cm86cm

If you can't spell UL correctly in advertising that's an immediate red flag.

FWIW, when I see no EN temp ratings, description of how the temp rating is derived, and not only what kind but how much fill/down is specked in sleeping bags or quilts I take that as a crap shoot as far as in the field temp rating. EN ratings are no absolute panacea for accurate temp ratings but at least I have some third party testing standards to compare bags and quilts. Quilts are another crap shoot since they aren't EN rated for the vast majority. This leaves me having to first get and then ascertain temp ratings for myself. making it more difficult to make apples to apples comparisons.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

A cheap and ultralight gear list, that doesn't quite fit my personal style, but looks entirely workable:

http://www.gossamergear.com/wp/wp-co...eap_Henley.pdf

Except that he's left out the trowel. Get one from Qi Wiz. Less than an ounce. $30-40. Or the plastic Fiskars trowel, a couple of ounces and $3. In any case, bring a trowel. Please.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I bought the Jansport katahdin 60 liter pack a couple years ago on sale for $60 from campmor and it has worked out well for me. Not perfect, but acceptable considering the cost difference for a lighter, better pack.
    Main complaint is the waist band loosens itself as I walk. Constant re-snugging has become part of my hiking routine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++