WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Another Kevin i like that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithereens View Post
    White Sierra convertible pants ($24- sale @ Sunny Sports), Hanes wicking T shirt (freebie from work- really nice!), Russel poly sports undies ($?), dress socks from Wally and New Balance trail runners ($25 sale @ Amazon). And a boonie hat. Couldnt tell you the weights on any of it. ...

Hmmm, didn't add my Outdoor Products hiking poles either, but I use those almost all the time so they are in my hands, not part of the pack.
    Another fun - and gratifying way - to look at weight is "skin out." (How much does ALL your equipment way - including that which you will wear as well as what you will carry!)

Last year, I was gratified to find out that the difference between me in my birthday suit and me in my hiking clothes with poles, pack, 4 days of food, and one day of water... was just 26 pounds....

However, I am still trying to get that Skin Out Weight of 26pounds down...! lol

I'm gonna be out there if I have to crawl! But reducing the weight also reduces the likelihood that I will resort to crawling....

The bag seems to be drawing some attention. I figured it wasn't gong to be much, I was mildly surprised when I got it though. It packs very small, it's light, it converts to a topquilt with a footbox (3/4 length zipper), the baffels are well filled and it is actually fairly warm. The materials are really nice too. It isn't 35 F warm like it claims, the sewn through baffles ruin that right off the bat. But as a summer weight bag.... not too bad. I can stay pretty comfy at 50F and I'm a cold sleeper. I need more backyard time before I commit to sleeping under a tarp in it at elevation, till then I'm carrying my 2lb12oz Suisse Sport synthetic bag. I've used that one into the low 30's during very windy, wet and stormy conditions. It's getting kinda long of tooth though...

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Gets you out there. Example of going lighter wt does not necessarily have to cost a bundle. Garlic gave another example.

Have to question this:

AEGISMAX Outdoor Urltra-Light 95% Goose Down Sleeping Bag Three-Season Down Sleeping Bag Mummy Down Sleeping Bag/Blue/Black/200cm86cm

If you can't spell UL correctly in advertising that's an immediate red flag.

FWIW, when I see no EN temp ratings, description of how the temp rating is derived, and not only what kind but how much fill/down is specked in sleeping bags or quilts I take that as a crap shoot as far as in the field temp rating. EN ratings are no absolute panacea for accurate temp ratings but at least I have some third party testing standards to compare bags and quilts. Quilts are another crap shoot since they aren't EN rated for the vast majority. This leaves me having to first get and then ascertain temp ratings for myself. making it more difficult to make apples to apples comparisons.

That actually sounds like a fun challenge. I'm pretty sure I can match the weight and level of discomfort of that loadout!

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    A cheap and ultralight gear list, that doesn't quite fit my personal style, but looks entirely workable:

http://www.gossamergear.com/wp/wp-co...eap_Henley.pdf

Except that he's left out the trowel. Get one from Qi Wiz. Less than an ounce. $30-40. Or the plastic Fiskars trowel, a couple of ounces and $3. In any case, bring a trowel. Please.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Smithereens View Post
    I'm gonna be out there if I have to crawl! But reducing the weight also reduces the likelihood that I will resort to crawling....

The bag seems to be drawing some attention. I figured it wasn't gong to be much, I was mildly surprised when I got it though. It packs very small, it's light, it converts to a topquilt with a footbox (3/4 length zipper), the baffels are well filled and it is actually fairly warm. The materials are really nice too. It isn't 35 F warm like it claims, the sewn through baffles ruin that right off the bat. But as a summer weight bag.... not too bad. I can stay pretty comfy at 50F and I'm a cold sleeper. I need more backyard time before I commit to sleeping under a tarp in it at elevation, till then I'm carrying my 2lb12oz Suisse Sport synthetic bag. I've used that one into the low 30's during very windy, wet and stormy conditions. It's getting kinda long of tooth though...
    Thanks for sharing that as I was going to ask if you had tried it out. I was thinking at 18oz it wasn't too shabby for a 50* bag at $70. AN EE Revelation APEX was going to set me back $165 for 11 oz in a 50*. I think I may pull the trigger on the AEGISMAX. Saves me 8 oz over my current 50* bag.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Thanks for sharing that as I was going to ask if you had tried it out. I was thinking at 18oz it wasn't too shabby for a 50* bag at $70. AN EE Revelation APEX was going to set me back $165 for 11 oz in a 50*. I think I may pull the trigger on the AEGISMAX. Saves me 8 oz over my current 50* bag.
    Other factors aside, the synthetic vs down consideration makes a difference when humidity and rain are issues. I have a Prodigy 40 (now called Rev Apex) and it has performed superbly in conditions that would have rendered a down quilt utterly useless.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Other factors aside, the synthetic vs down consideration makes a difference when humidity and rain are issues. I have a Prodigy 40 (now called Rev Apex) and it has performed superbly in conditions that would have rendered a down quilt utterly useless.
    Understandable, trying to minimize weight that I may not even end up using. During our section last July, I actually got inside the synthetic bag once. Every other night I was in running shorts, one night I needed to put on sleep socks and was golden after. Going through GSMNP this year so with the higher elevation profile and the shelter requirement, I'm not exactly sure if I will end up in a bag or not. Originally intended to bring the Dutch argon liner as a "sleeping bag" and forgo a 50* entirely.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Thanks for posting that! When my wife accuses me of being overly obsessive about something, I can just pull out a copy of this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++