Default It's official... You PCT hikers will be dodging skiers

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...w-10951538.php

Squaw Valley, which the PCT goes across the top of, is staying open at least until July 4th. Sugar Bowl 1 mile away has more snow than Squaw but hopefully that won't be open or else hikers literally will be dodging skiers as the PCT goes through the ski mountain. (Mammoth usually is open a month later than Squaw so I wouldn't be surprised at a August close for them but at least the PCT doesn't go through that mountain).

... Perhaps cross-country skis in lieu of micro spikes this year?

That's because the roads are messed up. Nobody can get to the snow. They have to make it up on the other end.
    Bummer!
    There are other places to hike. But don't look too hard. Stick to the PCT.
    Yes, I will stay in Texas. Until I can escape to someplace where the trail isn't buried.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Yeah I think I am tapping out too. I just got my PCT permit this morning too. Got the permit, and then 8 hours later I quit. That has got to be a record.

(I will be sure to cancel my permit so someone else can have the spot... not that it is a primo date or anything).

Images

Postholer now has the Sierra snow at 244%. BUT! Here is the good news for the intrepid, snow going snowshoers without snowshoes...... Further north, as of right now, the snow levels are still below 2011 levels meaning unlike 2011 you may eventually hike out of the snow. That doesn't mean that a June flip north will be of any help, but there were still lakes frozen over in Washington when I got there in late August. AT least you won't likely have to deal with that.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I wonder how many will bail and NOT cancel.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineKevin View Post
    Yeah I think I am tapping out too. I just got my PCT permit this morning too. Got the permit, and then 8 hours later I quit. That has got to be a record.

(I will be sure to cancel my permit so someone else can have the spot... not that it is a primo date or anything).

++ New Posts ++