WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Watch where you step

There are a number of reports of someone putting nails in trails. At this point, it seems to be just one park near Ashville, but they have not caught who is doing it.

Here is the story -- http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rail/98190816/
    Shutterbug

Gotta be a Male between the ages of 14 and 45...and not wrapped to tightly, boy that narrows it down.

Forget the bear spray.....bring a metal detector....*** is wrong with people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    There are a number of reports of someone putting nails in trails. At this point, it seems to be just one park near Ashville, but they have not caught who is doing it.

Here is the story -- http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rail/98190816/
    I'm sure it's just a few locals trying to catch Bigfoot.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

I spotted that story last night. Between the pyros and booby trap builders...I guess these folks have too much time on their hands.

I remember back in the early 90's, word had it that they were hanging fish-hooks at eye level around the Watuaga Lake area in TN.
    Is this something similar?
    Apparently, the locals didn't like the hikers because: something about their dogs biting hikers?
    Don't remember exactly.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I remember back in the early 90's, word had it that they were hanging fish-hooks at eye level around the Watuaga Lake area in TN.
    Is this something similar?
    Apparently, the locals didn't like the hikers because: something about their dogs biting hikers?
    Don't remember exactly.
    1989. between 19E and moreland gap shelter. the ATC pretty much bought land out from under the mountain folk. eminent domain type of deal. they burnt down a shelter, don nelan in that area. pulled guns on forest service rangers

this reminds me of the story that i read where somebody was going around and spraying poison on salad bars. you have to wonder what happened to make somebody want to do this sort of thing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by theory View Post
    this reminds me of the story that i read where somebody was going around and spraying poison on salad bars. you have to wonder what happened to make somebody want to do this sort of thing.
    Maybe his advances were spurned by a lovely female hiker, maybe he once got tetanus from a nail pounded into a shelter, maybe he's acting out because mom just stopped breast feeding him...WTH knows. But if the punishment fits the crime, he would have sleep on this in jail if he's caught:

“He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Trail name: Shyte Kibob

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    1989. between 19E and moreland gap shelter. the ATC pretty much bought land out from under the mountain folk. eminent domain type of deal. they burnt down a shelter, don nelan in that area. pulled guns on forest service rangers
    I ran into a few of those mountain folk in 2011 just south of Erwin, TN. They came up the AT on horseback, rode into our campsite and let us know in no uncertain terms that this land was their land.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I ran into a few of those mountain folk in 2011 just south of Erwin, TN. They came up the AT on horseback, rode into our campsite and let us know in no uncertain terms that this land was their land.
    Did you sing back, "This land was made for you and me"?
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Yep, that cr@p near Moreland Gap was going on in '90 as well, it was the first thing that came to mind after reading the opening post. We were all warned about booby traps on the trail.

I don't know what drives people to do this. Something unspeakably dark. Can't fathom it.

I can't help but wonder if the landowners ever realized they had just fallen heir to a business opportunity.....

Much of the land we hike on was taken from private landowners, not bought. If you are paid less than $100 an acre for your land it is hard to make a case that the government "bought" it like you may choose to purchasing something at a store. Keep in mind that these landowners often had their land for decades, paid taxes, and had an explicit promise from our government that their ownership was protected.

So the land owners almost always get a rotten deal. Most of them just go away quietly fuming. It's probably important that when hiking we have a lot of respect for what transpired for us to be able to do this at all. I RARELY see anyone giving credit to the landowners' sacrifice.

To add even more insult, go take a tour somewhere on public lands. Park rangers often call it "our land" and the need to take care of it. They also like to refer to the land as "bought by the government" or "donated" by the landowners (after their taxes were raised to make ownership unaffordable). Most people on the tour will nod as if they already "knew" this. It's disgusting to watch. The process wasn't nearly that painless and wholesome. The sacrifice of the landowners is entirely ignored.

I don't have a clue what the ownership history is at the trails where the nails were found, but it's probably worth looking into. Someone might have misplaced anger as hikers clearly are not the source of their problems.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Much of the land we hike on was taken from private landowners, not bought. If you are paid less than $100 an acre for your land it is hard to make a case that the government "bought" it like you may choose to purchasing something at a store. Keep in mind that these landowners often had their land for decades, paid taxes, and had an explicit promise from our government that their ownership was protected.

So the land owners almost always get a rotten deal. Most of them just go away quietly fuming. It's probably important that when hiking we have a lot of respect for what transpired for us to be able to do this at all. I RARELY see anyone giving credit to the landowners' sacrifice.

To add even more insult, go take a tour somewhere on public lands. Park rangers often call it "our land" and the need to take care of it. They also like to refer to the land as "bought by the government" or "donated" by the landowners (after their taxes were raised to make ownership unaffordable). Most people on the tour will nod as if they already "knew" this. It's disgusting to watch. The process wasn't nearly that painless and wholesome. The sacrifice of the landowners is entirely ignored.

I don't have a clue what the ownership history is at the trails where the nails were found, but it's probably worth looking into. Someone might have misplaced anger as hikers clearly are not the source of their problems.
    I agree with you 100%

But that's no excuse to cause harm to people using the trail. I don't get thanked for the sacrifices I've made in my life, but I don't snare the guy in front of me with a fishing hook for walking on the same sidewalk as me.

And no, I'm not accusing you of condoning their acts. Just making a side point.

Journal Entries
    Images

As in the final offer was less then 100 per acres? What was the first offer they turned down? Its pretty common for someone effected by govt grabs to have turned down offers that keep getting smaller.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    As in the final offer was less then 100 per acres? What was the first offer they turned down? Its pretty common for someone effected by govt grabs to have turned down offers that keep getting smaller.
    No, that is not common at all. You are misinformed.

Let's suppose someone owned a couple hundred acres and the government decides they need to run a hiking trail thru it.Does the government take an "easement" or do they take all of the landowners property?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post

This is nonsense. The AT has had to be rerouted in many places because new land owners objected or original land owners changed their minds. The ATC goes to great lengths to court private landowners. This is just a bunch of anti-government drivel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++