WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Cool 30 Days along the AT NOC to ??

I would like to do a section hike of around 30 days that ends at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. Any suggestions on a starting point. I plan to hike about 8-9 miles a day. I need a to find a town near the trail where I can be dropped off. Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you start at US19E, near Elk Park NC or Roan Mountain TN, and go southbound that will be 256.9 miles to NOC, or about 8.6 miles per day if you hike for thirty days. NOC is only 136.8 miles from the southern terminus, so there aren't enough miles to hike northbound for thirty days.
    Last edited by map man; 02-22-2017 at 09:11.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Since NOC is at about 137, and you want to do just a bit under 300 miles I guess that N-S is your only option. That puts you somewhere in the Hampton or Watauga Lake area if you can stretch it a bit .. or Elk Park, NC/Roan Mtn, TN if you want to keep it closer to 300 mi. There are good shuttle drivers throughout that area, so you just need to get close enough with public transportation to get shuttled the rest of the way. I'm pretty familiar with that area ... but live in VA ... however in my experience using the shuttles ... you shouldn't have any problem finding options. Just check out the Shuttle list on the ATC website.

++ New Posts ++