WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default How much is an ounce worth to you?

I have been trying to lighten my pack weight without sacrificing too much in comfort and safety in advance of a section hike scheduled for the end of next month. One universal truth seems to be that lighter is more expensive.

I was looking a top quilt and noticed that a bag with 900 pf down is almost 1 oz lighter than one of the same temp rating but filled with 850 pf down. However, it is also about $80 more expensive.

So, I started to wonder: What the going rate is for a one ounce reduction in weight? I'd be very interested in hearing some thoughts.

Images

Depends on what end of the spectrum you are on. To go from 40lbs to 39 lbs is cheap (or even free). To go from 6 lbs to 5 lbs is probably $50 to $100 per ounce. The price goes up exponentially as weight gets lower. Law of diminishing returns.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Looking at the price spread for options available from Enlightened Equipment on the Revelation quilt, it looks like 1 ounce in weight savings will run you about $50. Would I spend $50 to save an ounce currently? No, my summer base weight is around 11-11.5 pounds right now and I'm at the point where saving more weight gets very expensive and frankly, I'm happy with my current gear.

As 4eyedbuzzard alluded to, saving weight is pretty much free when you are carrying a heavy load...simply by eliminating "wants" and "what ifs". Once you get things paired down to the minimum required gear, then it becomes a matter of spending to reduce weight. Right now, cuben fiber is the fashionable high dollar product which provides a large weight reduction, but it comes at a high premium. By targeting the sleep system, shelter, and pack, you'll see the biggest gains (or losses).
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

As the fill power of down goes up the value gets smaller. I consider 850 about the peak unless you have the extra money, 750 if you want the max value. Fact is down will probably not reach peak loft in humid conditions. Save your money by not buying titanium cook wear where you can sometimes save weight by going with aluminum.

$900 for a pound in savings? Ummmm....no thank you...

I have found that TEN bucks per ounce is what I am willing to pay for lighter weight....and that matches closely to real world products. Here are some concrete examples of TEN bucks per OUNCE....

Example 1- BA FlyCreekUL3 vs. ZPacks Triplex=I own the BA FCUL3 and love it. It comes in at 3.5 pounds or 56 ounces. The ZPacks Triplex is the lightest alternative I could find, at 24 ounces. The interior space is quite similar. The BA lists at $430, the Zpacks at $700. The difference in weight is 32 ounces. The difference in price is $270. The price per ounce saved would be $8.44...a screaming good value in lightening my load by 2 whole pounds....

Example 2- REI Flash 62 Backpack v. ZPacks ArcHaulGridStop(64L)= I own the old(2012) REI Flash 62, in a Large which makes it a 65L pack. It weighs in at 50 ounces. It retailed for $200. The ZPack ArcHaulGS is a 64L pack that weighs a mere 24 ounces and costs $300. The difference in weight is 26 ounces. The difference in price is $100. The price per ounce saved is $3.85...another screaming good value that would lighten my load by an entire pound and half.

Example 3-Montbell SS650FP#3 v. ZPacks Broad X-Long 30 Degree= I own the Montbell. It retails for $230 and weighs in at 34 ounces. The ZPacks sells for $415 and weighs in at...19.5 ounces. The difference in price is $185 and the difference in weight is 14.5 ounces. The price per ounce saved is $12.76.

It gets more expensive the smaller the incremental weight savings is. This comes into play in pads, where the lightest is $100 more but only 5 ounces lighter, for $20 bucks per ounce.

I shoot for $10 per ounce. YMMV....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hyperhiker View Post
    As the fill power of down goes up the value gets smaller. I consider 850 about the peak unless you have the extra money, 750 if you want the max value. Fact is down will probably not reach peak loft in humid conditions. Save your money by not buying titanium cook wear where you can sometimes save weight by going with aluminum.

Not only that, but lower fill down has more feathers, and is less affected by humidity. 800 is better all around than higher fill.

They also strip natural protective oil from down to get it to loft more.

The only thing high fill down has going for it, is its light weight

Images

$10.00 per ounce is my no question asked just do it amount. $15.00 and up I have to think about it for a bit.

Leonidas

I too am in the $10 per ounce club.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

having a scale has helped me lighten up. Choice of the lighter garment or equipment,if they are equal to the task. Not trusting advertised weight.

thom

Selling the old one also takes some $ting out of buying the new one, as does buying used vs new... quite often there are significant discounts on very lightly used stuff at BPL, for example, or set up some alerts on lwhiker.com to find some deals on stuff you want to buy.

I'm also trying do a cost/benefit analysis. My current big 4 comes in at about 7.5 pounds, which isn't too bad. However, if I spent $1,300 it could be nearly 50% lighter at 4 pounds. So, is that $1,300 best spent getting the load 3.5 pounds lighter or spending more time on the trail and eating better?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm at the point where my purchases are compared to gas to get to trailheads. I haven't bought anything in awhile. I can buy a lot of gas.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

"almost" 1 ounce lighter makes it more than $10 per ounce. Is that almost-an-ounce on your scale, or in their catalog? You can save a lot more weight at no cost by carrying 20 ounces of water instead of 32 (and a lot of people carry 64+ ounces regularly)

As some have noted, getting your baseweight down to 15 lbs doesn't have to cost a fortune, getting under 10lbs gets a lot more expensive. So eventually you hit a point where the only way to reduce any significant weight is by shaving an ounce or even fraction of an ounce off numerous items in your pack. That can surprisingly still add up to a pound or more.

I have been at the under 10lbs point for several years, but I don't spend a lot on average anymore as I only replace a high cost item once every 2 years or so. Given I don't have a smoking, drug, Starbucks habit which yearly cost is far more than one or two UL items, I don't feel bad spending a few hundred a year on one of my hobbies.

Thank you for all of the thoughts.

I am currently sitting with a base weight for this time of year of just under 18 lbs. That includes a big three of Gossamer Gear Gorrila, Warbonnet Traveler hammock, MacCat Deluxe Tarp, EE 10* underquilt, Sierra Designs 28* down top quilt plus 50* down quilt booster.

I think I may have reached the point where any ounces I shed through switching out for lighter gear will become cost prohibitive.

I'm getting ready to pay two hundred more dollars to get a copper spur to replace my half dome.

Some things make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelras View Post
    Thank you for all of the thoughts.

I am currently sitting with a base weight for this time of year of just under 18 lbs. That includes a big three of Gossamer Gear Gorrila, Warbonnet Traveler hammock, MacCat Deluxe Tarp, EE 10* underquilt, Sierra Designs 28* down top quilt plus 50* down quilt booster.

I think I may have reached the point where any ounces I shed through switching out for lighter gear will become cost prohibitive.
    what are the weights?

2012 Gorilla Large Pack w/hip belt and shoulder strap pockets 27
    MacCat Deluxe Tarp w/sack 16.25
    Continuous Ridgeline w/hardware and sack 1.2
    Traveler XL Hammock w/tree straps, suspension lines and bishop's bag 17.85
    Revolt 10 Degree Underquilt 21.78
    Backcountry Quilt 800 Top Quilt 24.4

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm also trying do a cost/benefit analysis. My current big 4 comes in at about 7.5 pounds, which isn't too bad. However, if I spent $1,300 it could be nearly 50% lighter at 4 pounds. So, is that $1,300 best spent getting the load 3.5 pounds lighter or spending more time on the trail and eating better?
    Another cost not often mentioned with ultralight gear is durability/longevity. Will the ZPacks Triplex last as long as the BA? Will the ZPacks ArcHaul last as long as the REI Flash? Will the ZPacks bag last as long as the Montbell?

However, back to your question....the answer lies in the $20/ounce price. To me, the answer would be a clear "no".

YMMV...

If functionality is similar, then $10/oz of weight savings is also fairly close to where I stand
    I would never bother spending $50 for 900 fp over 850, etc

Certain items I resist upgrading more as well. I am stingier per ounce if it's part of my winter gear, which I only really use for a few short backcountry trips per year. I can handle a little extra weight for that, and good cold weather gear is expensive

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++