WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Bear Banger use on the AT

Voters
6. This poll is closed
  • Do you feel this a good back up to bear spray

2 33.33%
  • Would you purchase it for a through hike

1 16.67%
  • Do you feel it would scare the bear or antagonize it

3 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bear bangers

Question bear bangers

Recently I came across bear bangers and have not found them being sold here in the states much, but more so in Canada. Has any ever used them and if so do you feel they were effective against a bear who was overly friendly (no pun intended)? I am looking fir serious replies, I do have a good spray, just looking into this.bear

Have carried and used once (other than testing). I don't carry bear spray. I only carry these in places where I know there are nuisance bears that just sit there when you yell at them and clank your pots, etc. I fired one at a black bear last year in a Canadian park. It ran away. Only time I've used it!

Don't fire it behind the bear or it will run toward you!

Before worrying about bear bangers or bear spray, learn to hang a bear bag (pct method is the best imho) and you'll never have a problem with them (black bears - grizzlies... you're on your own). and, if you want to avoid the bears that have become habituated to humans and are looking for an easy meal, don't camp near shelters if you can avoid it. Bears have seen so many big agnes backpacking tents full of food around shelters (not nearly enough people hang their food) that you're just asking for trouble even if you don't have food in your tent.

Learning bear behavior and knowing how to keep your cool is probably the best defense. I would think bear spray or anything else would only antagonize or agitate the situation where there might not be one in the first place. Of course I'm sure theres special circumstances. Black beers are pretty easy going but grizzleys are another story.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Are they legal in the US? Are they sold in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinetree View Post
    Recently I came across bear bangers and have not found them being sold here in the states much, but more so in Canada. Has any ever used them and if so do you feel they were effective against a bear who was overly friendly (no pun intended)? I am looking fir serious replies, I do have a good spray, just looking into this.bear
    Must. Resist. Temptation. Strong...............AAAAARRRRRRGHHHHH!!!

Bear Bangers? Overly Friendly Bears?

Pretty sure there is a website for this, but I aint going there....just sayin....

Do you feel this a good back up to bear spray
    No. I wouldn't carry bear spray on the A.T. either.

Would you purchase it for a through hike
    Absolutely not.

Do you feel it would scare the bear or antagonize it
    It would often scare a bear, the odds of it triggering an attack are virtually zero, as are the odds of needing any kind of defensive weapon against bears on the A.T.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Are they legal in the US? Are they sold in the US?
    You can find them on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    You can find them on Amazon.
    When I search for "bear banger" on Amazon, I find only a case for sale without the launching pen and the bangers.

Images

I have not used this product. In fact, I had to look and see just what you were talking about. In the right setting, it is probably effective in scaring off bears.

With that, it is really not necessary on the AT. Yes, there are areas where bears have become overly habituated to people. Yes, there are areas where bears will take every opportunity to go after unattended food. These areas are still relatively small along the length of the AT. There are some easy ways to avoid these situations without the need for bear spray, or bear bangers.

Keep in mind the black bear is nowhere near as aggressive as a grizzly. Food is also (mostly) plentiful, so the bears are not stalking people and attacking for food. The number of people hiking on the AT vs the number of bear incidents is still extremely low.

If you are concerned about bear encounters hang your food via the PCT method. Practice and get good at it before your hike. A sloppy hang will mean a bear could potentially get your food and become even more habituated to going for food bags. That will only contribute that that bear being unnecessarily killed. Another option is for you to use a bear canister for your food. A heavier option, but one where you know your food will not become bear chow.

In problem areas along the trail, word will spread fast. Avoid staying at shelters in the problem areas. The bears in these areas are mostly curious and opportunistic. In these areas, though you may opt to stop and cook/eat your food before you arrive at your destination for the night, others might not be so cautious. Shelters (within "problem" areas) tend to be the epicenter of the problem areas because people are careless with their food.

Bears are not currently an issue for the entire length of the trail. Many go an entire hike without ever seeing a bear. Be aware and take precautions and you will not put yourself in the position of being an easy target for bears to get some grub. I personally have never felt the need for bear protection on the AT. Other trails, in other areas - absolutely. Mice and other small critters will be far more likely to go for your food.

One thing to consider...As the problem areas tend to be at shelters, if you release bear spray, or bear bangers, you will also be dealing with other people in addition to the bear. Please be mindful of this if you do choose to carry bear protection.

I observed uniformed park rangers in Canada using fireworks (M-80 style large firecrackers and whistling gizmos) to disperse black bear sows and cubs from roadside encounters with tourists in cars.
    Apparently the hand thrown varieties of fireworks went high tech. I found a kit online for $60. Not sure if that was CDN or USD.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Small air horns are known to work as well like https://www.walmart.com/ip/Loud-Part...&wl13=&veh=sem
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I wouldn't purchase it for the AT. The only two areas I might want something like that would be in GSMNP (where it likely isn't allowed) and NJ and that's only because those two areas are where I've read of attacks, albeit not on the AT I don't believe. For the Northern Rockies? Yes. If I were going to Glacier, Whitefish, up to Banff or even Alaska I would consider it.

Images

A loud bang might not have the effect you expect in the GSMNP. In his book "Bear in the back seat" Kim Delozier said that a large black bear continued to move toward him after two shotgun blasts. Delozier was working as a professional hunter killing wild hogs in the park. Seems the bear associated a gunshot with a free pork dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    A loud bang might not have the effect you expect in the GSMNP. In his book "Bear in the back seat" Kim Delozier said that a large black bear continued to move toward him after two shotgun blasts. Delozier was working as a professional hunter killing wild hogs in the park. Seems the bear associated a gunshot with a free pork dinner.
    The same has been said about elk hunting and grizzly bears in the GYE.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Thank you Sir, I do hang the ursack very well and that was not the issue.

Sounds like an excellent device to start a fire to burn down the rest of the AT and scare the shart outta everyone else who doesn't know what you're doing and scare away the rest of wildlife that some might actually want to experience.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I've had beef bangers and pork bangers, but I'd have to find a hunter that had a really good Scottish butcher to find best bangers.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Lamb bangers and mash with peas....

On an on-topic note, it is very very bad when bears associate gunfire with dinner...very bad...kinda like associating a bear bell with dinner....paging Dr. Pavlov....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++