WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Exclamation After 10 years without a fatality, Baxter sees 2 do far in 2017.

A climber on the Abol Trail has fallen to his death.
    The deceased climber's name has been identified: John H. Stetson, of Holden, ME.

Climber, 68, dies in 1,000 foot fall in Baxter State Park
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

What kind of medical event requires quotation marks around "medical event"???

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    A climber on the Abol Trail has fallen to his death.
    The deceased climber's name has been identified: John H. Stetson, of Holden, ME.

Climber, 68, dies in 1,000 foot fall in Baxter State Park
    typo in title.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    What kind of medical event requires quotation marks around "medical event"???
    It was in quotation marks because it was a direct quotation from the Park Superintendent, Jenson Bissell.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I hiked the Abol trail this year to check out the new section. When heading down the turn off the old trail to the new one is quite an eye opener. Above that point is steep but there are terrain features while the old section is straight down. Given the warm weather over the weekend and the south exposure I expect the Abol was wet ice.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I hiked the Abol trail this year to check out the new section. When heading down the turn off the old trail to the new one is quite an eye opener. Above that point is steep but there are terrain features while the old section is straight down. Given the warm weather over the weekend and the south exposure I expect the Abol was wet ice.
    I was up there on the day of the incident. I had two technical ice axes and ice climbing crampons due to the nauture of our mission. The trail is covered in 3" of solid blue ice. You could have sunk a stubby ice screw in the trail and it would have held a fall. Probably the worst conditions I have ever seen on the trail, but there was no free water since max temp at elevation never broke 25. A regular mountaineering axe would have had very little opportunity to dig into the ice except for a few of the neve and punchy crust sections that were found in more sun affected locations.

++ New Posts ++