WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default trail shoe/boot crossover?

Anybody hiking in a trail shoe with integrated gaiter like Salomon Snowcross CS or Saucony Razor Ice trail runners? I've always hiked in leather boots but want a lighter weight option too. Are these best of both worlds kind of shoes?
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

GAME 06

I have never seen those shoes even once on trail. What that means is not much of course.

Those who want gaiters usually get a set of Dirty Girls and go that way. BTW for summer hiking you do not want waterproof gaiters. They are used to keep dirt, weeds and such out of your shoes. You want them to breathe.

I just purchased a pair of Salomon XA Enduros which are arriving tomorrow, they are basically the XA Pro with an integrated gaiter, I'll post back after trying them out this weekend.

Not sure where the dirt, weeds and such come from, but I don't get that stuff in my shoes.
    Looking at pictures of the Dirty Girls, I'm thinking waste of time and money.
    YMMV.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Merrell makes some of their most popular trail runners in a mid height. I have a pair of Capras and love them! They also make the grassbow in a mid. Certainly best of both worlds.

Merrell makes some of their most popular trail runners in a mid height. I have a pair of Capras and love them! They also make the grassbow in a mid. Certainly best of both worlds.

This is the Capra that I wear.
    Capra Mid.jpeg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Not sure where the dirt, weeds and such come from, but I don't get that stuff in my shoes.
    YMMV.
    Wayne

Without them I always get crap in my shoes, with them my feet stay debris free all day. I guess MMMV.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CHILL_TX View Post
    I have a pair of Grassbows in the low version and I really like them, but just for FYI they are a bit narrow in the toe box.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Thanks for the input. I'll look at those other options. I wear Sorel Ankeny boots, which I love for the minimal tread. That lack of tread gave me some issues in snow and mud last weekend. That's why I'm looking for a second pair of hikers.

YMMV.
    Over the last three years I've started wearing my shoes much looser. I find that at the end of the day my feet are much more comfortable that way, plus they're easier to slip on and off as needed. The downside is that debris from the trail tends to slip into the top of the shoes. Dirty Girls are an immediate solution to that problem. If you don't need them, then they would be a waste of time and money for you. For me - they're worth every penny and ounce.

I haven't. Have seen them worn a lot by some though, usually the fast and light yr round trail running, crossover light backpacking, and done in day summiting crowds during snow and ice conditions. I like you presenting the idea though, at least for winter light backpacking situations. I'd say they absolutely could/would work nicely in winter for UL/LW winter backpacking trips.

I've seen and heard of several H.S and University cross-country running programs located in northern latitudes promoting these shoes for winter running.

Both models listed are geared towards winter slop trail running specifically snow and ice. I'd assume the integrated gaiter is mainly to keep that slop out of the shoe. I'd assume they may get hot when it warms up so I'd personally relegate them to those times. The Solomons even have the metal spikes in the lug like sole.

I'm sure you'd get some Superhero flack if deciding to hike with others not accustomed to the shoe.

I think you might want to consider why it was you wanted or you thought you needed boots? Then, ask if you want to switch to what amnounts to "sneakers" - mid cut trail runners - for what reasons. Is it just about saving wt? I'd look at your consideration from the perspective Ok I'm consider switching from a real leather boot to a trail runner. How might I appreciate that beyond the shoe wt? What else might change? Then, the specific winter trail runner models you're considering becomes an easier decision.

Again, I like you sharing this. It's something new to me.

Leonidas

Are you looking for a shoe/boot that is winter specific? I have a pair of Oboz mid hikers that have an integrated scree guard at the top of each. It acts like a gaiter in keeping random stuff from getting into the shoe. They do make winter specific models as well.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Default trail shoe/boot crossover?

My reason for trying to go lighter on footwear is that I tend to be a plodder and the heavier the boots, the worse for my feet and knees. I have even considered going with a "barefoot" all leather hiker like the Kuuva4, but then I would still have traction issues in mud and snow. That's why I was thinking this type of shoe would be a good backup for those trail conditions. Lightweight with good traction.

I don't think I need a winter specific solution though. I can always go lighter or thicker on my socks depending on temperature. I was even thinning about going with a non Gore-tex option and getting a pair of sealskinz if I need to do a lot of stream crossing.

Have you considered just letting your feet get wet? A decent trail runner will have great traction and lots of mesh in the body to allow the shoe to dry within a couple of miles. As an example, I forded a stream several times on Saturday in GSMNP going up the first two miles of the Gunter Fork trail in my Brooks Cascadias. By the end of the trail (the entire thing was only 4.1 miles) my shoes and socks were already dry.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    My reason for trying to go lighter on footwear is that I tend to be a plodder and the heavier the boots, the worse for my feet and knees. I have even considered going with a "barefoot" all leather hiker like the Kuuva4, but then I would still have traction issues in mud and snow. That's why I was thinking this type of shoe would be a good backup for those trail conditions. Lightweight with good traction.

I don't think I need a winter specific solution though. I can always go lighter or thicker on my socks depending on temperature. I was even thinning about going with a non Gore-tex option and getting a pair of sealskinz if I need to do a lot of stream crossing.
    You're sounding as if you're abruptly transitioning from a rather maximalist hiking boot to a minimalist design with this consideration. These arose out of the zero drop minimalist running and walking approach. Minimalist approaches were, and to some extent still very much are, the rage in some running circles but they aren't without their differences or potential problems(like injury!) http://lermagazine.com/cover_story/t...alist-footwear

Leonidas

The Oboz aren't technically lightweight, at least not the ones I have. 40 oz for men's 11.5 US, grip is pretty remarkable on wet rocks.
    http://obozfootwear.com/mens/mid-hiking/scapegoat-mid

I have swapped just recently to the new Vasque trail runners for people who heel-strike. Did 11 miles over varying terrain Monday and it was like walking on pillows. 25 oz for men's 12 US. I plan on using these over the Oboz for a ~100 mile section this summer.
    https://www.rei.com/product/110318/v...ing-shoes-mens
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Leonidas

Sorry, mine are the lows, not sure why I keep thinking they are mids...
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

GAME 06

YMMV.
    Wayne

Well I must admit that on the AT I never saw the need for them. But on trails like the PCT and CDT and pretty much any trail out west they are an excellent improvement. They not only keep all the dust, dirt, rocks, stickers and such out of your shoes they also significantly extend the life of your socks and the interior of the shoes. That stuff that gets in is not just uncomfortable it is abrasive and will eat its way right through your socks and the liners of the shoes. I hate having to stop and clean stickers out of my socks or get sand and rocks out of my shoes. Without the gaiters on the trails out here you will have to do that several times a day.

Not everyone wears them of course. But it is easy to see the difference in performance.

As a general rule I never take my shoes off from when I start hiking in the morning until I stop at night - if I take a long mid-day break then yes. I don't get blisters with the sock, shoe, gaiter setup I have and this allows more time for hiking. I struggle to hike with folks who are always having to stop and take their shoes off as all of the stopping drives me crazy.

++ New Posts ++