WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Awesome!! Thank you, sir!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I think your route is fine. Yes, there are a couple of long climbs, but they are well graded (except for the rock scramble the last 1/4 miles of Albert Mtn, but that's just plain fun). You'll be carrying a lot less stuff, which also makes it easier. If you can start in the morning, this makes a lovely 2-night hike. There is parking at a hiker parking area near Standing Indian Campground, and the trail through the campground to the Kimsey Creek Trail is well marked.
    +1 this advice. However, don't underestimate that last 1/4 mile climb up Albert. Make certain there is adequate distance between you and your wife so that if one of you falls the other will have some time to dodge the one that is pinballing down the slot....unless you are a climber, do not...allow me to repeat this....DO NOT undertake to climb Albert in the rain. Take the bypass trail.

I've found that both the trail to KCT from the Standing Indian Campground and the KCT to AT can be a bit...overgrown....in mid to late summer. The markings are fine, but the actual trail may disappear underneath vegetation. Also, there are a couple of switchbacks that fool folks and they don't make the turn and just keep going straight across the mountain...for a short while...

The later you go the better. That area needs time to heal from the burn. I don't even want to think about what the peak of SIM looks like after the fire, it might make me cry...

The view from the top of Albert is pristine. One of folk's favorite AT picture spots. ****spoiler alert*** although one of the absolute best views on the entire AT is at the peak of SIM, it isn't at the bald with the fire ring....you will just have to explore...bring your camera and maybe your dinner with you to watch the sunset from the view, when you find it...don't be afraid...just sayin...

Have fun! HYOH!

Images

I've been to the top of Albert maybe 6 or 7 times, and got a great view exactly once. Every other time it was socked in with clouds.

But then, I spent two weeks on the coast of Maine and got a good view exactly once, so maybe I bring the clouds and fog with me.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    "There was no way for you to know that I'm a 7 yr veteran of the USMC and have had my boots on several harsh "hikes". My gf is a 4 yr veteran of the USAF, so she's not exactly ignorant of what we may be facing either. I appreciate your input, but as stated, I'm asking these questions because we've never hiked HERE before. Because we're admittedly "newbies" to the AT, please don't assume we're 2 yuppies from the city looking to hug a couple trees..."

You and your girlfriend will probably find recreational backpacking to be much easier and more enjoyable than some strenuous experiences were that you had during your military service.. But, it can take a while to learn how to thoroughly enjoy this hobby. As your research has undoubtedly already indicated, equipment that is designed to use for camping from a vehicle is often, due to its weight, less than ideal for backpacking use. And, in the past some gear that the military has had its members haul into the woods has been much heavier than what most recreational backpackers now carry. Many of us who post here are less youthful than you and your girlfriend still are; you are both still in your 40s and in good shape. A great any. perhaps most, recreational backpackers now try to "hike smart" and keep their pack weights reasonably low.

Enjoy both your ongoing research and your Standing Indian hike! And, if you've not already seen them you may find these two web sites helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8aVkbvK57M&t=2s

http://www.cleverhiker.com/lightweight-gear-basics
    Yes, you are correct on all of points. We are looking forward to the first trek of many to come! Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    None taken.

You will find that for a 4 day/3night hike in GA, NC or TN on the AT, you won't need, nor likely have, the opportunity for a resupply. Bring your food. On that topic...many hikers go with dehy meals. I do on the AT. My preference is Backpacker Pantry. Many folks swear by Mountain House, and I concede they fall in my 2nd place. Personally, I cannot stand the chemical/salt taste in the other brands, especially AlpineAire.....yuuuuuuuck. Many folks bring a canister stove or an alcohol stove, since all that you will do with dehy is boil water. Best advice on food? If you are going dehy be sure to spring for a titanium, polished bowl, LONG HANDLED spoon to dig the food out of the corners of the dehy bag. Your cook kit will then only consist of your stove choice, pot, fuel and windscreen. I also bring high-fat add-ins such as olive oil and peanut butter. Lunch is almost always a trail bar and a small disposable cup of peanut butter....dip and go....breakfast for me is blueberry vanilla granola with Nido and hot water.

You will need a way to purify/filter your water. The cheapest, lightest and simplest are purification tabs. Many AT'ers swear by the Sawyer Point One filter. I am beginning to lean that way myself. Currently I have the FirstNeedXLElite, which is a real purifier that deals with viruses and other bad bugs that filters don't. Total overkill for the vast majority of the AT and a brick at a whole pound, but I also hike/snowshoe/ski in areas out west that beg the use of the purifier. Same with Mexico excursions. Just sayin.

Most shelters have a rudimentary crapper that is essentially a stool on a plywood platform that deposits your crap onto an ever-growing pile of crap directly under the stool. Throw some duff on your crap and call it good. Try not to pee in the crapper. I know, counter-intuitive....but this isn't a vault or pit crapper. Ask a trail maintainer what happens to all that crap.....just sayin....

Please forget the notion of a shower during any hike of a week or less. You won't notice it after day 3. Everyone else will by day 5. Just sayin...

If you desire to clean up, bring baby wipes. Or Anti-Monkey Butt wipes. No, I am not kidding....

Speaking of crap, if you can't make it to a privy, then you need to dig a cathole, crap in it, cover your crap and pack out your nasty TP. Seriously. Pack. It. Out. Don't ever crap within 200 feet of a water source or 100 feet from either side of the trail. Don't burn your TP. Seriously. Don't. Burn. It.

Hiking poles. You may want to try them out....

Good luck! Welcome to the AT! It is a little bit more than what you thought, even if the amenities are far less than you imagined. Far far far far far far far less....
    Now THAT was great info! Thanks for the welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by golfjhm View Post
    I don’t think there was any offense intended by scarebear. Sounds like he was more questioning your experience level since you asked about resupply and showers on a 23 mile loop and what food to bring. Definitely newb questions but you are a newb which is TOTALLY fine. It is not a big deal if you don’t know these types of things yet. Backpacking is a constant learning experience, which is part of what I like about it. I hope to learn something new on every trip. The key is to learn from people that have more experience than you and then pass along what you know to others. You will probably learn more on this trip when you go than I have on my last 20 trips due to your experience level….and that makes me jealous. I remember the revelation moments on different tricks and tips quite fondly. Enjoy the trip.
    Yup, that's why I'm here, to get advice and info from experienced people. Thanks for the input!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Standing Indian and about any AT section in the South will have good camping areas within 5-10 miles (even less in more popular sections). You can park at Deep Gap or at SI campground and connect to the AT and loop back. You will be roughing it and will be hiking through Wilderness areas. No resupply points. Or campground facilities on trail. Shower up at SI campground or in Franklin.

Mountain House packaged foods are easy. Ramen. Precooked meats. Some small can goods. Fruits. But you may want to look at dehydrating your own foods.

I would suggest you look into GA/NC AT guidebook and the NatGeo map for the area for trail routes and watersources. Make hanging your food a habit being the summer. Keep an eye on waterlevels during the summer.

Definitely camp at the Standing Indian summit or at least catch the sunrise/sunset there.

Being novice hikers and living in Dunn. Be sure to head up to the MST sections along the Eno River and Falls Lake. You can pretty much hike the whole thing in 3-5 nights. SP campgrounds and Gameland campsites are available.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Great info, Thanks!

After all the info gained in this thread, I have one last question...for now, LOL!
    Since this is somewhere between a 23-26 mile loop, is it reasonable to assume that we could get to a campsite on day 1, hike to the SI summit and back to the same campsite on day 2, and back to our vehicle on day 3? What would the miles per day be in this scenario?

Images

i would do it like this (and this is sorta the route i did when i went there)--

hike up kimsey creek trail to AT and across to standing indian.............fill up water BEFORE you go up the hill to the summit (you dont wanna do this twice)...

go up SI to summit------find site and watch sunset and spend night...

pack up and finish the route by going over to albert.......find a place to camp over this way and then complete the loop.......

(not sure mileage as im not in front of a map right now)

when i did it---i wussied out due to a storm and just came down lower ridge trail back to the standing indian campground (where car camping is)....

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i would do it like this (and this is sorta the route i did when i went there)--

hike up kimsey creek trail to AT and across to standing indian.............fill up water BEFORE you go up the hill to the summit (you dont wanna do this twice)...

go up SI to summit------find site and watch sunset and spend night...

pack up and finish the route by going over to albert.......find a place to camp over this way and then complete the loop.......

(not sure mileage as im not in front of a map right now)

when i did it---i wussied out due to a storm and just came down lower ridge trail back to the standing indian campground (where car camping is)....
    Ok, so we can make the summit on the first day? Then Albert on day 2 and back on day 3? Ok, it's coming together now. THANKS!

Images

yeah...

ya should be able to...

its only (and again, not in front of a map right now)----6-8 miles from the campground.....

take kimsey creek up to AT and then AT to over to standing indian...

keep in mind----people on here are saying summit-----but its not like a climbing/straight up summit......not technical at all....

its just basically a steep hill that pops out on top of a mountain....

and up there are a few sites you can throw a tent down............as someone else said, explore around a little as the best view (but it is a good view) is not the first one ya come to.....

after that----since i wussed out----i couldnt tell ya about albert and all that..................but a ton of people have done it, so its doable.....

Images

Then Albert on day 2 and back on day 3?

and i wouldnt double back.....

just find the trail that leads back to the backcountry/backpacking kiosk where you will be parked.......

Awesome! Sounds good, thanks again for the advice!

Images

Yes, you can make the summit on day one. If you start late or decide to stop early, you can camp at/near the Standing Indian Shelter a couple of miles before the summit. If you are making good time you can keep going past the summit and camp at Beech Gap - some nice spots there.

It's probably a good idea to call the forest service and find out in advance which camping areas are closed this year (see my original reply above). The area around Big Spring Shelter used to be a great spot to stop for the second night given its distance from Standing Indian, but that area was closed to camping last year so it could recover from overuse.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    +1 this advice. However, don't underestimate that last 1/4 mile climb up Albert. Make certain there is adequate distance between you and your wife so that if one of you falls the other will have some time to dodge the one that is pinballing down the slot....unless you are a climber, do not...allow me to repeat this....DO NOT undertake to climb Albert in the rain. Take the bypass trail.
    Being from NH, I get a giggle out of statements like the above. But I suppose it could be a little intimidating if it's the first time you've encountered a moderately steep and rocky climb.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Being from NH, I get a giggle out of statements like the above. But I suppose it could be a little intimidating if it's the first time you've encountered a moderately steep and rocky climb.
    They've clearly never. So, the warning. You'd be surprised that people don't realize the bypass trail is for bad weather, not laziness....plus, they wouldn't automatically think to not bunch up if they've never scrambled up a slot before. Sheet happens...

Glad you got a giggle out of it. HTH. YMMV. NTTAWWT....just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Note that last year the forest service closed about half of the tenting areas on this loop. Beech Gap and Carter Gap were open, but the tenting areas at Standing Indian Shelter and Betty Creek Gap were closed. There is a new shelter near the Long Branch trail, and it has a handful of tent sites. Not sure what the status is this year, but worth a call to the USFS ranger station for that area.

Now, onto the hike.

The loop of the Kimsey Creek Trail, Appalachain Trail, and Long Branch Trail is about 25 miles, and makes a nice 3-day, 2-night loop. There are some tough climbs on this section -- that's not meant to scare you off, just be prepared for them.

No resupply, no showers on this loop. No "lavatories" at the shelters, the best you will find is a pit toilet. Please use it.

Water is generally not an issue depending on when you go. There are springs at the shelters where you can refill, and you will cross a couple of streams. The guidebooks (Companion or AT Guide) will note where the water is located. I print out the pages that I need for a weekend hike - very useful.

Food. This is a big topic for a simple reply. We end up carrying about 2 pounds of food per person per day, but note that a three day hike only requires 2 days of food and an extra lunch, since we'll eat breakfast in town on day one, and dinner in town on the last day. For lots of good info, you should probably start here: http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/ . We prefer to buy our hiking food in a grocery store, and avoid the "freeze dried meals" they sell in backpacking shops.

We did this hike the first time in April of 2000, then again last year over Memorial Day Weekend. Very heavily crowded at the open camping areas last year. If I were to do it again, it would not be on a holiday weekend.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

I havent done this loop in about 2 years but as I recall Betty Creek gap was one of the best places to camp (given its relative location in respect to miles and water source). Do you know why they closed it??

Also, does anyone know what the extent of the fire damage is?

Leonidas

At least on the AT portion from the videos I have seen from this year's thrus, it is very sooty and has the lingering campfire smell. The roof was burned off Wayah Bald tower if I remember correctly.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++