WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Depends on if you get Noro or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    How many rolls of toilet paper does it take to do a thru-hike?
    Zero.

Quite a few people around the world safely and hygienically do without the Charmin. TP does not have to be in the form of rolls of white paper.

It depends on how careful and constipated (or not) you are. Also whether you actually use TP at all. So many variables.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I had a movement yesterday that had just the right amount of mucus so hardly no clean up at all...why can't they all be like that.

Images

I had a movement yesterday that had just the right amount of mucus so hardly no clean up at all...why can't they all be like that.
    t

Ask the Greek God of defecation " Anus " for a smooth bowel movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    t

I'll bet he s*its ona porcelain throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Fun fact: The roman god of feces is Stercutus.

And, just to be argumentative, for those of you that think wet-wipes are better than water to clean yourself with, wet wipes can actually dry out your skin and be irritating when used every day, much less than TP, but, more irritating than water alone. Of course, I suppose you could wipe with wet wipes and then put a little lotion on your backside to replenish the skin. Or, you could clean with just water.

As for hiking in the desert:
    1) Done right, you can get by quite well with somewhere between 250 and 500 ml of water.
    2) Unless there is an emergency, plan your potty break to coincide with the availability of water. Duh.
    3) Yeah maybe, if you are hiking a two day stretch without water and nature calls it would be a good idea to have something other than water to clean yourself up with, but how often are you hiking without a water source for two or more days in the desert. In such a case, sure, plan according. One doesn't need to always use the same method regardless of changing circumstances. I just hate seeing a highly effective method ruled out because of naivete or fear instead of practicality and function.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Just one at a time.

For my section hikes, I bring about a half roll of Scott. I always bring some home at the end of the week, too. If I were to bring a full roll, it wouldn't fit inside a sandwich sized zip loc baggie!

Images

Maybe someone will set up a booth offering hot wax hair removal at Trail Days, just think of all the trees that could be saved.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Maybe someone will set up a booth offering hot wax hair removal at Trail Days, just think of all the trees that could be saved.
    Pffffffffffffffffffffffffft!!!!!! That was the sound of coffee leaving my nose.......LOL!!

OK...this thread has officially gone in the crapper....

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    There is likely a gender difference between user groups, the presumption is the OP is looking for TP use for an average male.

The standard sized square of TP is approximately 4.5" by 4.5". There are approximately 1,000 squares in a standard roll of 1-ply TP and 500 squares in a standard roll of 2-ply TP. Presuming economics is the primary driver when purchasing TP, 1-ply would be least expensive and most likely what will be used by most, so a standard 1-ply roll is presumed.

Most people tend to use the same number of squares each time its needed (according to TP industry research). Using an estimate of five squares per time, and accounting for start/end of roll damaged sheets, a standard roll will have enough for approximately 60 standard use circumstances.

The average person will take between 5 - 7 months to complete a thru hike. To estimate the hike duration I will use 180 days, with one day per week where no TP would be used (zero day, quick pit stop in town, etc). The presumption is there are approximately 25 days TP would not be used. Leaving 155 days of communing nature and regularity bliss in the woods.

So, Presuming there is no loss of TP via rain or other damage and the above presumptions are true, it should take just over 2 standard rolls to complete the thru (finding TP in a privy on occasion would lower this to 2 rolls). Factor in gastrointestinal issues or colds needing facial tissues, an estimate of 2.5 to 3 standard rolls should be in the ball park.
    Let's not make an issue over tissue.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Some hikers are Completely full of $hit and need 1 roll/per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    Some hikers are Completely full of $hit and need 1 roll/per day.
    some are so full of it they should just wear diapers

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

some are so full of it they should just wear diapers

We prefer to call them attends.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++