WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Not another 3300 mile cookie cutter Lewis and Clark hike and paddle trip. Everyone does this.

Refreshingly adventurous and creative!

Living the LIFE Colter. Appreciated.

Very nice! Looks like a great adventure!

Images

wow, thanks for sharing. Such a great trip. Congrats to you.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

If I may ask, why did you decide to walk the first section instead of paddle?

The images of Cathedral Rock (I think) and Hole in the Wall brought back memories. If I remember right, Hole in the Wall wasn't there when L & C went through. Did you stay at any of the BLM campsites in that area? Did you hike up to Hole in the Wall?

Pringles

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    If I may ask, why did you decide to walk the first section instead of paddle?

The images of Cathedral Rock (I think) and Hole in the Wall brought back memories. If I remember right, Hole in the Wall wasn't there when L & C went through. Did you stay at any of the BLM campsites in that area? Did you hike up to Hole in the Wall?

Pringles
    Hi Pringles,

That's a beautiful stretch, isn't it? I didn't stay at any BLM campgrounds in that particular area, nor did I hike up to the Hole-in-the-Wall. I'll bet it's a dramatic view? It would have been cool to see it from up close, but I was getting a sufficient workout the way it was.

I described why I hiked the first part on my introduction page:
    I walked the first 800 miles or so to avoid the hundreds of wing-dams on the lower river. These dams force an upstream paddler into very fast current in the middle of the river, or through the potentially hazardous currents flowing over the wing-dams. I found two accounts of near drownings on these wing-dams. Going downstream they can be avoided by riding the fast current.

I'm sorry, I hadn't read any of that. I just watched the video. It was a beautiful area. We had canoes, and tried paddling upstream for a bit, just to see what L & C had to deal with. I realize that they lined and poled a lot, but trying to paddle up stream took a lot of work, and we didn't try to go too far. I think that a sea kayak would cut through the current better than that canoe did, but still, going the distance paddling upstream is quite a accomplishment! I understand about the wing dams. Getting out in the traffic with the barges would be nasty.

Thanks for sharing your video!

Love it!!! I'm paddling the Everglades challenge next week from tampa to Key Largo thru the glades on my sup....id love to do a trip like that...incredible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoyed following your blog during your trip. Brought back fond memories of visiting many of those sites, including canoeing the wild and scenic Missouri below Fort Benton, and all the SW MT areas. What an outstanding adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    ...I'm paddling the Everglades challenge next week from tampa to Key Largo thru the glades on my sup....
    That is very cool. Have a wonderful adventure!

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++