WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default July Colorado Trail Gear List 2017

Here is my gear list for my Colorado thru hike attempt this July.

https://lighterpack.com

I know there are a few items I could eliminate to save some ounces but I'm most likely going to take them anyway. I'm always open to suggestion and ways to improve my gear.

Pretty good list. You could ditch the 0.5L Evernew pot (since you already have the 0.9L pot) & add a home-made pot cozy & come out ahead weight-wise. It would lessen your fuel usage. I'd consider adding some additional length on your bear cord. 30' is kinda minimal. I've taken my several different tripods over the years & almost never use them. If you're a big picture taker, the weight would be worth it. It never seems to be worth it for me.

Enjoy your hike.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Agreed, that's a very realistic gear list. I too would ditch the small pot as it doesn't add much functionality. A couple of considerations:

1) Check whether the sternum strap on your pack already has an integrated emergency whistle. My packs have that feature, which enables me to not carry a separate item for the remote likelihood that it's required.

2) Does your family situation require the Delorme? I found that I had cell service most days in the north, and a bit less frequently in the south. I was able to send a text to my spouse every couple of days, and that satisfied my family requirements. Every family is different...

3) Your quilt will be in a dry bag, but do you have other gear that needs to remain dry? IE, do you need a pack liner or a pack cover?

4) You are planning to carry a ball cap. That's okay if you have a darker complexion or if you are not predisposed to sunburn. But if you are a pasty-white Irish dude, I would suggest a wider brimmed hat. The sun in Colorado can be intense (and beautiful!). Perhaps your ball cap and the Frogg Togg bucket hat could be combined into an all-purpose wide brimmed hat?

5) You have 70 oz of water carrying capacity. That will be fine until Salida, but you might need to grab another SmartWater bottle in Salida to cover the drier southern section.

Overall, I'd say that you're good to go!

StumbleJumper, answers to your questions

1) No it does not

2) Yes

3) The Arc Blast pack is made from Cuben and is pretty much water proof. I have hiked in some good down pours and all day rains with my stuff inside staying dry. That being said I know it can get a hole and let some water in, hence sleeping bag in Cuben dry bag on the bottom of pack were water could gather. I then use Cuben stuff sacks for the rest of my clothing on top of the sleeping bag, then tent (if dry) on top of the cloths then food bag on top of tent. I'm not a fan of pack covers but YMMV.

4) Frogg Togg bucket hat is a wide brim hat, plus I'll be carrying sun screen as well.

5) I can do that, thanks for the heads up.

CarlZ993,

I may ditch the 500ml pot but at 2.6oz it's not much weight and I like drinking coffee with my dinner sometimes. The 30' of bear cord and the 20' of throw line is the same stuff. I actually had the bear line at 50' but found most times it was more than needed and tangled up a lot, so I cut it down. If I need 50' I could tie it back together. That being said I've only hiked in PA so I don't know if food bag hangs would/should need 50' in Colorado. How often have you need all 50' along the CT? I also mostly hike solo and used my tripod when I want to be in a picture. I use my cell phone for my camera so it doesn't stand up on its own. How do you get yourself in a picture if you don't use a tripod?

Thank you both for taking the time to look over my list and your advice.

Oh and CarlZ993 I am on the fence with the 8oz fuel can and the 4oz can. I know 8oz is more than I should need between resupply but 4oz just may be under what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles 2 Go View Post
    StumbleJumper, answers to your questions

1) No it does not

2) Yes

3) The Arc Blast pack is made from Cuben and is pretty much water proof. I have hiked in some good down pours and all day rains with my stuff inside staying dry. That being said I know it can get a hole and let some water in, hence sleeping bag in Cuben dry bag on the bottom of pack were water could gather. I then use Cuben stuff sacks for the rest of my clothing on top of the sleeping bag, then tent (if dry) on top of the cloths then food bag on top of tent. I'm not a fan of pack covers but YMMV.

4) Frogg Togg bucket hat is a wide brim hat, plus I'll be carrying sun screen as well.

5) I can do that, thanks for the heads up.

CarlZ993,

I may ditch the 500ml pot but at 2.6oz it's not much weight and I like drinking coffee with my dinner sometimes. The 30' of bear cord and the 20' of throw line is the same stuff. I actually had the bear line at 50' but found most times it was more than needed and tangled up a lot, so I cut it down. If I need 50' I could tie it back together. That being said I've only hiked in PA so I don't know if food bag hangs would/should need 50' in Colorado. How often have you need all 50' along the CT? I also mostly hike solo and used my tripod when I want to be in a picture. I use my cell phone for my camera so it doesn't stand up on its own. How do you get yourself in a picture if you don't use a tripod?

Thank you both for taking the time to look over my list and your advice.
    Rubber band and trekking pole works fine as does the stick pic for iPhones. When I hung on the loop I needed well over 40 feet several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zXfTNhQLsxk

Here ya go...works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your gear list looks a lot like mine.

saltysack, that is a super light way to use your trekking pole as a mono-pod, I'll have to give it a try. Also did you hang your food bag PCT style?

StumbleJumper, I double checked my list and found I do have up to 140oz of water carrying. I listed two 50oz Evernew bags plus my two 20oz Smartwater bottles. So it looks like I will be good based on your recommendation.

DuneElloit, are you still trying to make out this year to thru hike the CT. I know you were looking for options for your dogs while you were away. Hope you'll be able to make it and may if you do I'll see you out there.

saltysack, that is a super light way to use your trekking pole as a mono-pod, I'll have to give it a try. Also did you hang your food bag PCT style?

StumbleJumper, I double checked my list and found I do have up to 140oz of water carrying. I listed two 50oz Evernew bags plus my two 20oz Smartwater bottles. So it looks like I will be good based on your recommendation.

DuneElloit, are you still trying to make out this year to thru hike the CT. I know you were looking for options for your dogs while you were away. Hope you'll be able to make it and may if you do I'll see you out there.
    I'm still going to try and make it happen, but it will likely be August before I can go if that's the way it works out. I don't live too far from the trail so I can make a decision a few days ahead of a start date if necessary which is nice.

Oh and CarlZ993 I am on the fence with the 8oz fuel can and the 4oz can. I know 8oz is more than I should need between resupply but 4oz just may be under what I need.
    I got from Denver to Silverton on one 8oz can, about 24 days on the trail, boiling around 2 cups both morning and evening. There was still some left when I swapped it. Your milage may vary, of course.

++ New Posts ++