WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Trail to Chimney Tops to remain closed the rest of the year

If seen a couple of references on facebook indicating that the trail to the top of Chimney Tops will remain closed for the remainder of the year due to erosion caused from tree falls (sounds like parts of the tail on the hill side just are not there any more... or are at least unstable).

Lower sections of the trail are expected to be open later this year so that people can enjoy the creek near the trail head (perhaps open all the way to Road Prong Trail?).

Images

Yeah..

we ran a story the other day on the trail----park let news media up it to check out damage ...

Thanks for the link.
    @ 1:15: "trying to navigate that terrain, with trees, a 600% slope, is an incredible challenge ..."

I agree, a 600% slope would be quite a challenge!

Leonidas

Apparently the AT is closed at the Road Prong Trail, Kiwi reported having to road walk from there to Newfound Gap.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries

The fire damage is sad. But I'm glad they're keeping the trail closed for an extended period to allow the area to heal. In my opinion, the Chimney Tops was in need of healing before the fire. Not the trail itself, but the rocky peak. Over the years, the soil and vegetation had been pushed several feet down the side of the hill by an excessive number of hikers going off trail. I hope they give it a long time to heal. There are other trails that would benefit from an extended break.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    The fire damage is sad. But I'm glad they're keeping the trail closed for an extended period to allow the area to heal. In my opinion, the Chimney Tops was in need of healing before the fire. Not the trail itself, but the rocky peak. Over the years, the soil and vegetation had been pushed several feet down the side of the hill by an excessive number of hikers going off trail. I hope they give it a long time to heal. There are other trails that would benefit from an extended break.
    Several years ago they had already closed the old trail around to the right once you reached the top. That's where the erosion was occuring. A scramble up the rocks had been required in recent years. That's what I've been hoping they would improve.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Several years ago they had already closed the old trail around to the right once you reached the top. That's where the erosion was occuring. A scramble up the rocks had been required in recent years. That's what I've been hoping they would improve.
    That rock scramble felt a bit too dangerous for me. Last time we were there, I just enjoyed the view from part way up. I've climbed up from the ex-trail on the right several years ago. I was shocked to see how much the vegetation had receded when we visited a couple years ago. I now regret using that side trail.

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Apparently the AT is closed at the Road Prong Trail, Kiwi reported having to road walk from there to Newfound Gap.
    Do you know if this section is still closed?
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

Quote Originally Posted by AlyontheAT2016 View Post
    The AT is open all the way through the park. I hiked the section from NFG to Road Prong Trailhead a few weeks ago.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by AlyontheAT2016 View Post
    I think he ended up misreading the sign posted for the Road Prong closure, I have seen several other 2017 thru attempters on Youtube cruise right through there.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I think he ended up misreading the sign posted for the Road Prong closure, I have seen several other 2017 thru attempters on Youtube cruise right through there.
    Yea, I don't recall ever reading that any part of the AT was closed.

But in any case, the GSMNP Website currently doesn't list any part of the AT as being closed. You can check on closures for yourself there.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

They did close the trail around Mt Collins just as precaution during the fires. But no part of the trail was affected. All the high winds pushed the fires downhill into town.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Bummer, but I understand the need for it. I was hoping to take my son up there for the first time this summer. There are plenty of other great hikes though.

Can't believe they didn't close the Park during the Fire Ban. Now I wish they'd close all the roads in the Park. Btw, most air polluted Park in the country.

++ New Posts ++