WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Send away the mice

In organic agriculture using green disinfestation known as a clean and un hurt solution to send away mice .
    wondering if any one used Mentha Piperita to send away mice during tenting or being in a shelter ?

If it works, I don't care if it is a "no hurt" solution to mice or not ...

But I'd love something that was basically leave no trace and that worked.

Images

What about the sonic mouse repellents I see advertised, do they actually work?
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

The sonic mouse repellents are doing a good job, I think that its be better to use will camping.
    Mentha Piperita leaves no trace

Images

The woods is the mice natural home, you are the guest there. Why do anything to the mice? If you don't want to sleep with them, don't feed them, and don't stay in the nice houses that people have built for them in the woods.

Yes. I will sometimes make my own essential oil insect and small rodent repellents in an almond oil base that I've diluted from 100% pure oils. This doubles sprayed on the ground around the perimeter of my sleeping area(36"X7'). I place into a 2-4 oz spritzer bottle. I'll spray lightly on things like groundsheet, exterior backpack, MAYBE food stuff sack, and top of sleeping bag/quilt. I will also use Dr Bronners Liquid Peppermint Soap to wash my apparel and sometimes gear(make sure diluted and test for being safe first) and to wash me. It all helps.

What will also help keep the mice away is not camping where others typically have camped. AT lean-to's typically have mice issues!!! Mice are attracted by way of human behavior.

As you are probably aware Mentha piperata(peppermint) and Mentha spicata(spearmint) are both widely used in various mouse repellents. This is a proven effective method. I've seen mice, rats, skunks, other small rodents, insects(fire ants, cockroaches/palmetto bugs, centipedes, pill bugs, etc) as well as a few snakes upon reaching the circumference barrier of spray turn away. I learned to do this since I cowboy camp on the ground not often enclosed in a tent in a range of buggy tropical environments.

Before someone says it I'll add never had Black Bears attracted to peppermint.

The main problem if say sleeping regularly in AT lean-to's or on the ground cowboy camping doing this is the amount of spray I start using. The solution to the mice thing in this regard is to bring along a small 1 oz bottle of 100% peppermint essential oil and 2 0z cheap plastic $1 spritzer bottle(bought at Wal Mart in the shape of a tube) periodically making some diluted solution.

BTW, even though the AT lean-to's are rodent magnets, 2 and 4 legged variety LOL, other well used lean to's and campsites on other trails can harbor similar issues.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    The woods is the mice natural home, you are the guest there. Why do anything to the mice? If you don't want to sleep with them, don't feed them, and don't stay in the nice houses that people have built for them in the woods.
    The shelters weren't built for the mice, nor was my tent designed for their habitation...Hantavirus is not cool.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Journal Entries

I pee around my tarp.

I tell people its to keep mice and bears away

But its really because Im too lazy to walk away to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Not at all. No. Never did. Fake hype.....

(pro pest control business owner.)

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Those sonic devices don't go over well around people with good hearing. My wife and I both used to have good enough hearing to detect them and it drove us nuts.

(I think my wife can still hear them, a decade of using power tools and firearms knocked my hearing down to where it's no longer an issue for me. )
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

does this work?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Those sonic devices don't go over well around people with good hearing. My wife and I both used to have good enough hearing to detect them and it drove us nuts.

(I think my wife can still hear them, a decade of using power tools and firearms knocked my hearing down to where it's no longer an issue for me. )
    Good to know, after a few years in the Army my hearing is one notch better than a fence post so I wouldn't even know if the thing was turned on. :-)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone01 View Post
    Not at all. No. Never did. Fake hype.....

(pro pest control business owner.)
    Thanks, how about the old adage of leaving mothballs under your vehicle to prevent critters from chewing the wiring harness?

Journal Entries

Pretty much all the shelters have resident mice so just use them as a last resort.
    Just another reason to tent! Plus tenting is warmer than most drafty shelters.
    I shake my tent out each morning and have rarely had any problems but then I do package everything in zip locks once opened....
    My first night on the trail was at Springer shelter..mice crawled right over my face twice!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

a decade of using power tools and firearms knocked my hearing down to where it's no longer an issue for me. )
    yeah me too, now I hear a constant ring!

Journal Entries
    Images

Good to know, after a few years in the Army my hearing is one notch better than a fence post so I wouldn't even know if the thing was turned on. :-)
    What? Say again?
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Power Tools and Firearms would be a great band name

Quote Originally Posted by yaam58 View Post
    . . . to send away mice. wondering if any one used Mentha Piperita to send away mice during tenting or being in a shelter ?
    No. Not me. I wonder how it would work as bear bate? ;-)
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

I have found that leaving a small tea light candle lit all night keeps the mice at bay. You still hear them scampering about but they won't come anywhere near the flame.
    Be Prepared

Journal Entries

So we should plant mint around the shelters?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    CSS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++