WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Ultralight gear for 2017

https://lighterpack.com/r/91zsbx

Thought I would share my gear list for people to check out and comment on for this years hiking soon approaching. Happy hiking everyone!

Images

Have you actually slept outdoors on the 1/8 inch sleeping pad? I have yet to meet anyone using just that on the AT in 6 years of Long sections. It has almost zero R value, and almost zero cushioning, you must be a real tough guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    Have you actually slept outdoors on the 1/8 inch sleeping pad? I have yet to meet anyone using just that on the AT in 6 years of Long sections. It has almost zero R value, and almost zero cushioning, you must be a real tough guy!
    Copy that those damn shelter bunks are rediculous so much so that well all ill say is we sleep elevated on the A/T

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Nice list. I agree with others though. If you can do the small pad go for it. I for one, am not, John Zahorian.

You have one of his packs and your gear list is oddly remarkably similar to his.

Is he your Yoda or something?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Furthermore I didn't see any water bottles or spare layers or maybe I'm blind.

But this says your gear list for the AT and LT.

Please elaborate on your plans because it looks like your packing too light for anything but the warmest month.

And yeah, no water bottles? Plastic jar and duct tape defy gravity too?

I'm just bustin your chops, but your gear list is incomplete and not an accurate representation of your pack weight... And it's cool to have a really low base weight. But it's gotta be accurate and detailed if your gonna run with that crowd.

Seriously though, did you get one of John's packs in the past few weeks? They always sell out instantly

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    ... And it's cool to have a really low base weight....
    Up to a point...The difference between an 8 pound base weight and a 12 pound base weight is hardly noticeable on your back, but it can have a huge difference in comfort, utility, and happiness during the hike.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Up to a point...The difference between an 8 pound base weight and a 12 pound base weight is hardly noticeable on your back, but it can have a huge difference in comfort, utility, and happiness during the hike.

Not it sure I agree with that . His frameless, belt less pack is much more comfortable with much less. The list is incomplete I hope ;0)

thom

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Not it sure I agree with that . His frameless, belt less pack is much more comfortable with much less. The list is incomplete I hope ;0)

thom
    Certainly, given his current pack choice, he is limited greatly. But my statement was aimed at overall gear choices, including the pack. So with a 3/4 pound increase in pack weight, he would be able to comfortably carry over 3 additional pounds of gear. Looking at his current list, it's not realistic for 99% of LDHers...maybe he's in the 1 percent.

I also realize I'm looking at things through eyes contained in a 51 year old body which does NOT like to sleep on a thin pad or shiver through a day of cold rain. But, I weighed my pack yesterday in preparation for next weeks AT thru-hike start. With winter gear, 4 days of food, and 1 liter of water, it came in at a very acceptable 24.6 pounds. That works out to a base weight of 14.6 which will come down to around 11 once we send the winter gear home...

During prep day hikes of up to 18 miles I routinely forget I'm wearing my pack, but I sure appreciate the extra creature comforts I gain for only a couple extra pounds of gear. I'm not faulting the OP for his gear choices, I'm only pointing out that he's walking the razors edge of weight when it comes to enjoyable hiking for most of us.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I use a frameless pack and 18lbs total pack weight is my comfort limit. I can do more but I have to do more strap dancing ;0) . Could not go with his pad ,quilt choice (38°) . My list would add, down vest, rain skirt,windpants,fleece,extra socks,xtherm short,20° quilt,one trekking pole. I like my umbrella better then rain jacket . No cook for the AT I think would b hard for me .

Thom

yes I like comfort

Images

Assuming the OP has the skills to use this UL gear, I'm excited to see someone take UL hiking seriously. I';m also excited about that pack, I was unfamiliar with it, it looks pretty cool.

Furthering what Engine said, once you get below a threshold, a pound or 3 makes no difference with comfort, but the only thing is, I'm not sure where that threshold is for a completely frameless pack with no hip belt. For my beloved OHM 2.0 (1lb-10 oz), that threshold is about 18-20 pounds of total weight (incl water, food, etc). I barely notice my full pack at 20 pounds, so when it's 15 total vs. 20, I don't care.

For a completely frameless/beltless pack, maybe that's more like 16-ish pounds total? I'm going to experiment a bit myself, having recently bought a ~10 ounce frameless pack (zpacks arc zero)

Anyway, about the actual kit, of course there are items missing, like water carrying vessels, any extra clothing items (I carry 1 extra pair of socks, that's pretty much it).

I share the concern about a 1/8" pad, I find 3/8" reasonably useable, but I cannot sleep on 1/8", but I'm old.

For my hexamid, I carry 8 stakes, because that is the minimum number I've found for a good tight pitch. (four corners, front, back, 2 additional higher tie outs).

My main comment is on the 2.08 pounds of tech stuff; I do understand the desire to carry a separate good camera, but doing so might preclude the need for having so much charging power on your iPhone; can you reduce the weight of that external battery? I fail to see the need for that much charging power, a 6 ounce, 10K mah anker might save you some weight.

Regarding that camera for the AT: Have you compared image quality of your iPhone with the G15? For the kind of pics taken along a not-super-scenic hike like the AT, IMHO, the iPhone would serve you well enough. I do personally carry a dedicated camera for lots of long trails, but not for the AT (which we're heading to soon for a repeat for me, 1st time for wife).

And what's with that heavy multitool? Used for what? save an ounce+ with a 0.7 swiss army knife.

Those are my humble comments, again, congrats on striving for being UL.
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 02-18-2017 at 11:07.

It's a John Z knock off list for sure. Incomplete gear list - (0 ounces for a plastic jar?!?!). Not trying to ruin the OP's chill but this is a gear list that looks great on a spreadsheet.

A few comments:

1) I've actually thru'ed the LT with a 3/8" WalMart pad with the goal of going lightweight and cheap. It worked okay, but I didn't repeat that experience on future hikes. I have come to prefer a real pad, whether it's inflatable or the Z-rest closed cell pad.

2) I don't see a source of fire. It's not a major amount of weight, but conventional safe-hiking wisdom is that you should at least throw in a Mini-Bic or a few waterproof matches.

3) I didn't see a first aid kit or any meds. Conventional wisdom is that you should at least bring some Vitamin-I, possibly some immodium tablets, and possibly some bandaids.

4) I didn't see any water treatment. I'm a guy who prefers to drink untreated water, but there's a limit. Some sources are clearly higher risk than others, and you might want to consider some sort of water treatment option to manage the risk of the most dubious water sources.

5) I don't see any spare clothing. So that means no spare socks, no insulation, no beanie, no dry set of sleeping clothes. You might consider investing some ounces in clothing, as it can become both a comfort and a safety issue.

6) I didn't see a toilet kit. Some people don't mind wiping their arse with leaves, but my preference is to carry a half-roll of TP and some hand sanitizer. You are an adult, so I'll leave it to your own judgement....

7) I don't see a water barrier for your pack. Maybe it's 100% waterproof already, but if not, then you might consider a pack cover, a pack liner, a dry bag for your quilt, or at least a few Ziplocs to keep your sensitive gear dry.

Haven't heard back from the OP so....

If he returns, I should clarify.

We are not trying to bash you or be negative.

We are concerned for your well being without further explanation/information.

I'm in the same boat as other people. It's not always worth it to me to bring nice camera equipment. I understand the appeal, but alot of the time having camera gear takes away from my experience. Heavy, bulk, I feel obligated to use it, more things to take care of. No I don't end up with good photos, certainly not professional, but my phone takes acceptable photos for my purposes.

If I was out there and my goal was to document the hike.. yea, better camera

On the AT.... I'd rather chill and live in the moment and take photos with. Smart phone when the time arises.

Personally, I find a written journal, pen and paper or electronically much more sentimental than photos. With a few photos here and there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Haven't heard back from the OP so....

If he returns, I should clarify.

We are not trying to bash you or be negative.

We are concerned for your well being without further explanation/information.

I'm in the same boat as other people. It's not always worth it to me to bring nice camera equipment. I understand the appeal, but alot of the time having camera gear takes away from my experience. Heavy, bulk, I feel obligated to use it, more things to take care of. No I don't end up with good photos, certainly not professional, but my phone takes acceptable photos for my purposes.

If I was out there and my goal was to document the hike.. yea, better camera

On the AT.... I'd rather chill and live in the moment and take photos with. Smart phone when the time arises.

Personally, I find a written journal, pen and paper or electronically much more sentimental than photos. With a few photos here and there.

The Diaro app is very user friendly and allows photos to be attached to the daily entries. If your carrying a smartphone, it's a great zero weight option for keeping a trail journal.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by backtrack213 View Post
    https://lighterpack.com/r/91zsbx

Thought I would share my gear list for people to check out and comment on for this years hiking soon approaching. Happy hiking everyone!

I applaud your laser like focus, and why re invent the wheel when you can see how others have done it i.e. JupitorHikes, ( similar to coming to white blaze )

I would at least read up on Ray Jardine . I say that because he stated ( preached ) that with minimal equipment one has to use his noggin more ( hike high, sleep low , etc. )

You might add a Trumpline ( NO, Not that trump ) http://www.patagonia.com/blog/2011/08/on-tumplines/
    For when you want to pack the extra wt of a sleeping pad or even food ( avoid going to a heavier pack )

Have fun, try to come back in one piece.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

There's a spoon, but nothing from which to spoon stuff... no pot or cup - are you going no-cook? No water bottles or water treatment, not even spare sock... seems like there's a few things that might make their way into the pack before you hit the trail.

Why is it that every lightweight backpack needs to post his/her gear before even stepping foot on the trail? It the same thing every year. Someone post a light weight gear list and then watch how many hikers freeze their butts off down in Georgia. It happens every year.

If you are new to backpacking, yes it can be nice to backpack lightweight. It is also better not to be freezing your butt off. This looks like a summer hiking gear list, not something most hikers should start off carrying.

Wolf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    There's a spoon, but nothing from which to spoon stuff... no pot or cup - are you going no-cook? No water bottles or water treatment, not even spare sock... seems like there's a few things that might make their way into the pack before you hit the trail.
    I assume the OP plans to use the empty jar for this purpose. Dinner is put in the empty jar and covered with water to re-hydrate while hiking and then eaten from the jar.

Great advice so far.

Only thing I can add is to go out and do some actual 3-4 day hikes with your kit in a variety of weather (cold-n-wet will expose any shortcomings) to make sure you're got enough stuff. Tweak as necessary, come back with a complete list and try again.

Garlic
    Images

I think this is the type of minimal pack list that fuels the "FSO" (from skin out) debate. What is the OP planning on wearing and carrying in pockets? This is the first time I realized the value of FSO.

Not everyone needs clothes to sleep in (I don't), or a half roll of TP (six squares per day is my luxury), or meds that never get used. I was in my twenties before I even knew about the existence of "sleeping pads." I looked for soft places to sleep before that revelation, easy to do in deciduous forests like much of the AT. Many nights on my AT hike, the pad was in the way.

Has nobody bashed the lack of stove yet? Going stoveless is what finally got me comfortably under the frameless pack threshold, but it took me thousands of miles to get there.

Echoing others above, I hope this OP treads carefully into this realm.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++