WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries

I have a fleece i can send to myself if i see needed was planning on using my rain jacket as an insulator I tend to be a warmer person in general

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Even then.. a lightweight fleece adds a lot of comfort for little weight. It can get chilly even in summer. Your pack weight is so low it's not a big deal adding a half pound to it. Up to you. I never hike without some sort of "midlayer" but that's just me. It could also double as a dry shirt for camp.. it rains alot on the AT/LT

Journal Entries

Thinking about sending myself rain pants depending on how conditions are when I'm out there and what I'm willing to tolerate with bugs and such that is and the quilt was a thought I ended up going with a different quilt that can be used down to 35 degrees if used with insulating layers. I know some nights might be a little uncomfortably cold but I was just out using this gear in 30-40 degree nights without any issues besides slight chills here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Being brutally honest here - don't take it as a personal attack, but rather as advice.

Your gear list is more suitable for July in New Jersey than New England.

If you had experience in northern New England you would FLAT OUT KNOW that a 50° sleep system won't keep you warm enough at night even in July. You would not even be asking. In your prior thread (referenced above) asking if a 50° quilt is enough, everyone who replied told you that you need to be prepared for low 40° temps AT A MINIMUM. Your additional insulative clothing is IN ADDITION to this. Because even in July, it can get downright cold at higher elevation in the northern mountains.

And you should pray that you get those really cold nights, because it means a high pressure system is over New England, meaning cooler and DRY days - and not 50° with wind blown rain.

Add to your gear a pair of long pants (both for warmth and protection from brush and bugs), a wool or synthetic mid weight upper insulation layer, a beanie hat, and a rain hat.

Carrying 2 to 3 more pounds that you may only use 25 to 50% of the time will not make or break your hike. But being cold and especially cold AND wet will absolutely, positively, suck 100% of the time.

Journal Entries

I will most likely carry a backup battery incase it was to run out but if its used on its low setting which is what i will mainly use gets about 4 hours of runtime I don't normally in the summer do too much night hiking

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++