WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

LOL, well this reminds me of XUL (</=3lb base) where people use cargo pockets on pants etc to stuff things just to claim a stupid-light base.

FSO indeed.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by backtrack213 View Post
    https://lighterpack.com/r/91zsbx

Thought I would share my gear list for people to check out and comment on for this years hiking soon approaching. Happy hiking everyone!
    Nice day pack!
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

I sense trouble here.

If you had enough experience to ensure this would be a good loadout, you wouldn't be asking about how it looks in a forum.

This is a gear list that requires a lot of experience of what works and what doesn't and a good knowledge of conditions on trail.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and you are very experienced and just showing how light your pack is, in which case:

I'm impressed, i think.

Images

One of two possibilities here: The OP is a scam, posted to create just this kind of "you're going to die" responses, OR, it is just a starting list of UL gear, not the complete kit. I assumed the latter his/her starting UL kit, with all the other little stuff just not listed.

But since the OP hasn't responded, perhaps this is just another ridiculous troll post to being out these standard Gear Police responses.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    One of two possibilities here: The OP is a scam, posted to create just this kind of "you're going to die" responses, OR, it is just a starting list of UL gear, not the complete kit. I assumed the latter his/her starting UL kit, with all the other little stuff just not listed.

But since the OP hasn't responded, perhaps this is just another ridiculous troll post to being out these standard Gear Police responses.
    OP has prior posts. Has indicated he is end to end on the LT this summer
    I plan on NOBO late June but I enjoy hiking all day and putting in big miles. I will probably see you out there but I don't know for how long since I do 20+ miles a day usually.
    OP is using the MLD FKT quilt but doesn't list any additional upper body (jacket and hat) insulation layers necessary to get the temp rating of the system below 55°. Even in summer, overnight temps on the LT can get in the 40°'s. I don't honestly get the allure of the MLD FKT quilt which has to be used with additional upper insulation to get below its 55° stand alone rating. Seems pointless to me. For the same weight, 17 oz, you could carry a full WM sleeping bag with a true 35° temperature rating. As to a 1/8" sleep pad, well, it's more like a really thick ground cloth, and he already is carrying a poly one. Why bother? Just sleep on leaf litter at that point. Seems more silly light than true UL for a given purpose.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quilt temp details:
    Most fast moving users experiencing night temps between 38f/3c and 60f/16c will be comfortable in this quilt by using standard lightweight camping techniques.

35-45 Degrees: Add a well insulated jacket, hiking and/or rain pants, insulated balaclava, dry sleep socks, gloves, etc. - In general you will be wearing all clothing carried in these lower temps.
    45-55 Degrees: Light clothing, socks and a head buff.
    55+ Degrees: No extra clothing needed.

+ a 1/8" sleeping pad?

Not a very temp-flexible kit, unless I'm missing something!

2 months ago he was asking how to rehydrate rice and beans on these forums, now hes got a 6 lb base weight with most of it being camera gear. someone throw this man a lifeline.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfraidOfBears View Post
    2 months ago he was asking how to rehydrate rice and beans on these forums, now hes got a 6 lb base weight with most of it being camera gear. someone throw this man a lifeline.
    Perfect example of what I was talking about, the "you're going to die" police.

He's talking about a summer kit: He has a full tent w/ ground sheet, a decent (though uncomfortable to some because of 1/8" pad) sleeping bag, a true UL pack (because he can, because he has other UL gear and ultimately a very light pack), obviously going stoveless (are some calling this "dangerous" somehow?). He has a rain jacket. Quite obviously he's missing a few small items, like some sort of water carrying device, and a few items of other personal gear & clothing that he will be bringing, I'm sure. Again, very good start to a complete UL kit, only missing a few light items and some light clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Perfect example of what I was talking about, the "you're going to die" police.
    haha, good point. I guess that happens more when the OP doesn't specify where and when they're going in their first post. "Are you going to the whites this weekend with that? You're going to die!"

If he's doing a summer LT, then you're right, that's a good start. I did 10 days in the summer on the LT as a younger man with a 1/8" blue mat and a very light fleece liner instead of a sleeping bag. Froze my ass off a few times, and yet here I stand (not dead yet)

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfraidOfBears View Post
    Yeah and I think his 12MP iPhone6 takes better pictures than that heavy 12MP Canon camera. At least I know the iPhone7 is better than that camera. I'm pretty sure a Google Pixel, iPhone7, and Galaxay S7 all take pictures just as good or better than any non-DSLR camera.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineKevin View Post
    Yeah and I think his 12MP iPhone6 takes better pictures than that heavy 12MP Canon camera. At least I know the iPhone7 is better than that camera. I'm pretty sure a Google Pixel, iPhone7, and Galaxay S7 all take pictures just as good or better than any non-DSLR camera.
    Agreed...I was thinking his 2 pounds of camera gear made little sense. Heck, my Droid takes better photos than some of the early generation DSLRs.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Journal Entries

I don't have a scale to accurately weigh those objects yet and i realized after posting i have a couple things i missed calculating the weight like the jar and water bottles and such ill be adding weights of that stuff soon. Also i got lucky and went on the website and they were available. If the weather gets cold I'm confident in my layers to keep me warm i will only be on trail july and august so I don't expect to hit too low of temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Furthermore I didn't see any water bottles or spare layers or maybe I'm blind.

But this says your gear list for the AT and LT.

Please elaborate on your plans because it looks like your packing too light for anything but the warmest month.

And yeah, no water bottles? Plastic jar and duct tape defy gravity too?

I'm just bustin your chops, but your gear list is incomplete and not an accurate representation of your pack weight... And it's cool to have a really low base weight. But it's gotta be accurate and detailed if your gonna run with that crowd.

Seriously though, did you get one of John's packs in the past few weeks? They always sell out instantly

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

The camera i enjoy using and having the ability to lay with exposure and other things i feel i can't do with my phone. I reduced the weight of my external battery from a much heavier one i was using last year that was unneccesary and the multitool is just what i have didn't think about getting a new one honestly. My sleeping pad I can basically sleep on anything I have other options if I decide this isn't in my comfort range but its cheap and light so I thought I would give it a shot. Thanks for the input I love hearing what others have to say

Journal Entries

I am using this gear in the summer from late june to mid august when I have time off of work I don't think I will need a lot of layers or extra clothes to carry.

I'd take a look at the Appalachian Ultralight No Nonsense 45L. Bigger than the Simple Pack, and weighs less at 11oz.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineKevin View Post
    But if you take a Galaxy S7, you're going to die! Or at least burn something down.

I don't have a scale to accurately weigh those objects yet and i realized after posting i have a couple things i missed calculating the weight like the jar and water bottles and such ill be adding weights of that stuff soon. Also i got lucky and went on the website and they were available. If the weather gets cold I'm confident in my layers to keep me warm i will only be on trail july and august so I don't expect to hit too low of temperatures.
    Even then.. a lightweight fleece adds a lot of comfort for little weight. It can get chilly even in summer. Your pack weight is so low it's not a big deal adding a half pound to it. Up to you. I never hike without some sort of "midlayer" but that's just me. It could also double as a dry shirt for camp.. it rains alot on the AT/LT

Have you tested the battery life on that flashlight? Just a hunch, but I doubt it's more than a couple of hours at medium brightness based on reviews and the capacity of a AAA battery.

Images

Planning on hiking the long trail in July. Will a 50 degree sleeping quilt be good enough at night?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I took a 40F quilt for a July E2E hike. It was enough most nights, but I also had my light down parka, and light wool long john bottoms and long sleeved top that I wore every night. There were several nights that got into the 40s and I was chilly even with all that. If I did it again I'd take something a few degrees warmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    There were a couple of nights toward the end of the hike (late July) when I would have LOVED to have a 20F quilt. I took a 40F Jacks R Better, and it's a great quilt, but we had some chilly nights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    My hunch: No margin for unusually cool and wet weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by hepatica View Post
    I've hiked E2E twice, in August, and I wouldn't do it without rain pants... I didn't have rain mitts the first time and really wanted them. My hands were often cold on cool, rainy days ...Also, some type of camp shoe, even just a croc or flip flop, is such a relief when you have had your feet in wet shoes all day.

My theme here, be prepared for wet everything...
    ... If the weather gets cold I'm confident in my layers to keep me warm i will only be on trail july and august so I don't expect to hit too low of temperatures.
    I am using this gear in the summer from late june to mid august when I have time off of work I don't think I will need a lot of layers or extra clothes to carry.
    Being brutally honest here - don't take it as a personal attack, but rather as advice.

Your gear list is more suitable for July in New Jersey than New England.

If you had experience in northern New England you would FLAT OUT KNOW that a 50° sleep system won't keep you warm enough at night even in July. You would not even be asking. In your prior thread (referenced above) asking if a 50° quilt is enough, everyone who replied told you that you need to be prepared for low 40° temps AT A MINIMUM. Your additional insulative clothing is IN ADDITION to this. Because even in July, it can get downright cold at higher elevation in the northern mountains.

And you should pray that you get those really cold nights, because it means a high pressure system is over New England, meaning cooler and DRY days - and not 50° with wind blown rain.

Add to your gear a pair of long pants (both for warmth and protection from brush and bugs), a wool or synthetic mid weight upper insulation layer, a beanie hat, and a rain hat.

Carrying 2 to 3 more pounds that you may only use 25 to 50% of the time will not make or break your hike. But being cold and especially cold AND wet will absolutely, positively, suck 100% of the time.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

A cold, wet bail-out is worth 10,000 words.

East Coast hills are underestimated on a regular basis. Most miserable night I ever spent outdoors was in Shining Rock Wilderness in Aug 1981. Summer... yeah, right. I guess we all need some hard lessons when we're young.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++