WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default cellular coverage on the AT

Hi

coming from aboard , need to know which cellular company give the beast coverage in the AT area ?

thanks

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

verizon supposedly
    John GoodMan

I have used Verizon very successfully as far north as the end of the Smokeys. I am sure it is still good after that, but I just haven't been that far yet.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Just buy a disposable Trackfone when you get here. For as little as $20 you can get a functional smartphone and another $20 gives you 3 months of service. Add data if you need it for an additional $15/ Gb.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Verizon seemed to be the popular one with the most service in my group I hiked with.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Verizon, straight talk (using Verizon towers), sprint, tracfone... in order from most to least useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

In towns ATT worked fine. On trail it's off so it doesn't matter. If your using Guthook it also doesn't matter.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Verizon. If you want to go with Walmart straight talk (no contract) AND use Verizon towers, your phone has to be CDMA, not GSM. There are many to choose from, from simple phones to smart phones. You can get a Samsung Galaxy 4 CDMA smart phone for $99 and use it on straight talk while you're here in the US, then sell it when you're done using it.

https://get.straighttalk.com/bring-y...FZBCAQodO3wGbg
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    In towns ATT worked fine. On trail it's off so it doesn't matter. If your using Guthook it also doesn't matter.
    Occasionally the need to call for a shuttle, reservations, or in a worst case scenario...help, from the trail means we use Verizon now. We tried AT&T for a couple LASH's and it was a complete failure when compared to others who used Verizon.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

For the southern quarter, Verizon hands down has the best coverage.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Occasionally the need to call for a shuttle, reservations, or in a worst case scenario...help, from the trail means we use Verizon now. We tried AT&T for a couple LASH's and it was a complete failure when compared to others who used Verizon.
    Yes, very occasionally I had to wait until I was at a high point to get a signal. I wouldn't all that a complete failure. That was in 2013 so perhaps they tore down some towers.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

That was 2013 from Fontana Dam south...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

I have been using a cheap Tracphone 3G flip phone for the last 6 years on the trail. I have not done half of New Hampshire or any of Maine, but it has worked from mountaintops on the rest. I have only had 2 days that I could not get a signal to call home. $20 and no worry if some thing happens to it.

I've used my TracFone along most the AT with no trouble, except the places no one had service because there was none to be had. In the more remote locations your best off high up on a ridge, but that's mostly NC and Maine. Vermont can be real iffy since they don't like to see cell towers in that state.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Verizon. Very few places on the AT where you can't get a signal out for at least a text message as long at you're up on a ridge or mountain top. Many places down in the gaps where there is no signal no matter what carrier you use.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Verizon overall though not everywhere.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Just buy a disposable Trackfone when you get here. For as little as $20 you can get a functional smartphone and another $20 gives you 3 months of service. Add data if you need it for an additional $15/ Gb.
    Please help: I'm also from abroad and very interested in this topic....but whats a Trackphone? Google was no big help.....

Quote Originally Posted by HelveticHiker View Post
    Please help: I'm also from abroad and very interested in this topic....but whats a Trackphone? Google was no big help.....
    Tracfone is a brand of cheap phone and service in the states. It's a common "burner" phone. The coverage is pretty good and great for the price. They are available at many retailers here (Walmart, Dollar General, etc.)

http://www.tracfone.com/

Journal Entries

[QUOTE=Ckb81;2128886]Tracfone is a brand of cheap phone and service in the states. It's a common "burner" phone. The coverage is pretty good and great for the price. They are available at many retailers here (Walmart, Dollar General, etc.)

Thank you very much, Ckb81 - and would you recommend Tracfone? Can I go just in any Walmart and get a phone from them? Does "prepaid service" also exist in the U.S. or do I need to have a contract?

[QUOTE=HelveticHiker;2128890]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckb81 View Post
    Tracfone is a brand of cheap phone and service in the states. It's a common "burner" phone. The coverage is pretty good and great for the price. They are available at many retailers here (Walmart, Dollar General, etc.)

Thank you very much, Ckb81 - and would you recommend Tracfone? Can I go just in any Walmart and get a phone from them? Does "prepaid service" also exist in the U.S. or do I need to have a contract?
    I would recommend it. As far as I know they don't offer accurate gps information but work fine for other typical cell phone needs. You would be able to purchase a phone and prepaid service at any Walmart.

Hope that helps!

:-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++