WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Does any SOBO want to share a campsite at Katahdin Stream Campground on June 7, 2017?

Hey all,

With great excitement (and a bit of nervousness of the unknown), this past Monday, I made my reservation at Katahdin Stream Campground for campsite #16 for June 7, 2017.

I am a solo SOBO hiker and will be setting up my Tarptent Notch. The description provided of the campsite says that campsite #16 can fit 2-3 tents with a maximum capacity of 6 people so I thought I would see if another SOBO was interested in sharing the spot and splitting the cost? The reservation for the night was $32 so it would be $16 for the night if someone wants to take me up on this offer.

I have a Paypal account that you could send the money to me. I know...I know...you're probably thinking "Why am I going to send money to some guy I don't even know?" I know it's not a perfect situation but after you send me the money, I will email you a copy of the Reservation Confirmation. I spoke with the ranger at Baxter State Park and she said they are only concerned with the capacity at the campsite so the reservation is in my name but I can have whoever I want at the site as long as I don't go over the capacity. If someone wants to see the Reservation Confirmation before sending the money, I can email you a copy with my personal information redacted just to keep a little of my privacy.

I hate to ask for money beforehand but I don't want to have someone say they want the spot and then not show up when there might have been someone else who could've used it and really wanted to use it.

With all the money I've spent on gear and all the money I'll be spending on the trail, I just figured saving $16 is saving $16 so I thought I'd extend this invitation and we could both save some money.

PM me if interested.

Sorry for the long post.

111 days...can't wait!!!

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike!
    Site 16 is GREAT! The northernmost tent site on the AT!
    You might want to try the Sobo 2017 Facebook group.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Good for you, Mike! Wish more SOBO's would do this!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Journal Entries

Some would also reserve contingency day in case weather is too crappy to summit the first day. Not left with much recourse if that happens.

I remember that site well. We were camped there when we were evacuated because of a forest fire in 1977.
    It is a great site. And survived the fire.

Hey Teej,

Campsite 16 didn't happen by chance. I got some real good suggestions from the MEGA '17 Guide to Baxter and Katahdin. I don't know if you're familiar with the Guide (wink, wink) but it is invaluable for those of us looking for good and easy-to-follow information.

104 days...can't wait!!!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mgmtrnr View Post
    Hey Teej,

Campsite 16 didn't happen by chance. I got some real good suggestions from the MEGA '17 Guide to Baxter and Katahdin. I don't know if you're familiar with the Guide (wink, wink) but it is invaluable for those of us looking for good and easy-to-follow information.

104 days...can't wait!!!

Mike
    Love count-downs! Have fun!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Hey all,

One smart hiker contacted me about the camping spot on June 7th and we are going to share site #16 at Katahdin Stream Campground after our summit of Mt. Katahdin.

From the description provided by the park rangers, there is still room for one more tent if anyone is interested. If we can get one more smart hiker to jump on this deal, it will only be about $11 each for that first night. Not a bad way to start a long 5-6 month hike when saving money is always on our minds (at least saving money is on my mind).

57 days. WOW!! Only 57 days!! It's approaching fast...

Thanks,

Mike

++ New Posts ++