WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Post My Gear List (What's in My Pack)

For those who may be interested in going ultra-light, this is what I will be carrying on my thru-hike beginning March 13th. These are actual weights, not what is claimed. Base weight is sub 9 lbs. Worn weight is sub 5 lbs. Cold weather clothing will be ditched when summer arrives and return when up north. I don't plan on spending much time in towns other than to resupply. If If choose to stay in a town, town clothes will be bumped to that location. I'm going to try and resupply based on locations on or very near to the trail.

https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=34525
    Last edited by The Roaming Gnome; 10-16-2016 at 13:48.

Just a thought on your weight charts. I use the metric system so grams works for me, but I know ounces as well. What is confusing is seeing both. Changing the whole thing to one or the other would make it more readable.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Wow. That is a top$ list

Default My Gear List (What's in My Pack)

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Just a thought on your weight charts. I use the metric system so grams works for me, but I know ounces as well. What is confusing is seeing both. Changing the whole thing to one or the other would make it more readable.
    I see that. I'm going to mention that to Gear Grams and see if they can make that an option.
    Last edited by The Roaming Gnome; 10-03-2016 at 18:37.

Quote Originally Posted by eabyrd1506 View Post
    Wow. That is a top$ list
    I'm 53 with 63 year old knees so I had to cut the weight. I switched from my Osprey Exos and saved a pound. I really like my light weight hammock set up but going to the ground saved two pounds.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey Gnome
    looks like we will be starting the same day. I'm from central Florida. I have some Zpacks gear also but I'm at about 15 BPW. See ya on the trail and be safe with Matthew coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    Hey Gnome
    looks like we will be starting the same day. I'm from central Florida. I have some Zpacks gear also but I'm at about 15 BPW. See ya on the trail and be safe with Matthew coming.
    That's great! I'm on the East Coast just north of West Palm Beach.

Just saw the start date, you'll be chasing me as I start the 12th. That being the case I should see you both at some time.

Just saw the start date, you'll be chasing me as I start the 12th. That being the case I should see you both at some time.
    Awesome! I'm chomping at the bit to get out there. Are you in the states or are you coming over from Australia?

I land in Atlanta on the 10th. Buy food etc and get to the Springer on the 11th and start the 12th. 156 days to finish and then my wife will be joining me for a 6 week trip across the north of the country. First time to the states so I am really looking forward to walking over there and then exploring some of it. We are going across the north as I have just found out my neice and her husband are moving back to Wisconsin just before Xmas and she is now going to be my base camp. Plus Montana and Oregon hold some of our other passion, gemstones, so we wanted to visit both of those states. Plus from all reports and what I have seen there are some pretty special places to hike in what will be the start of autumn.

I land in Atlanta on the 10th. Buy food etc and get to the Springer on the 11th and start the 12th. 156 days to finish and then my wife will be joining me for a 6 week trip across the north of the country. First time to the states so I am really looking forward to walking over there and then exploring some of it. We are going across the north as I have just found out my neice and her husband are moving back to Wisconsin just before Xmas and she is now going to be my base camp. Plus Montana and Oregon hold some of our other passion, gemstones, so we wanted to visit both of those states. Plus from all reports and what I have seen there are some pretty special places to hike in what will be the start of autumn.
    It's been said that we have some of the longest hiking trails in the world. The Appalachian Mountains may not have the highest elevations but they still offer some spectacular views and flora. I'm a history buff and enjoy researching the places I explore. Now, I've not hiked out west but have several friends who have. They said it is breathtaking. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Your packed long underwear - I assume that is for sleeping/camp. Is that bottoms only? If so, do you think you will need a top layer for night/camp? I see the tops are in the layer to be worn.

I have those same poles. They are nice but heavy. I recently picked up some lightweght poles (Fizan Compacts) which I like. Have you considered lighter poles?

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Your packed long underwear - I assume that is for sleeping/camp. Is that bottoms only? If so, do you think you will need a top layer for night/camp? I see the tops are in the layer to be worn.

I have those same poles. They are nice but heavy. I recently picked up some lightweght poles (Fizan Compacts) which I like. Have you considered lighter poles?
    I run warm. I sleep in the long underwear and 1/4 zip. I ordered the Gossamer Gear LT4's. The pair comes in at 9.2 ounces. Those Fizan's are nice and just as light.
    Last edited by The Roaming Gnome; 10-04-2016 at 12:00.

Nice set of gear, getting to sub 10# base weight takes some good knowledge and some Benjamins.

I like the "Wet Wipes - dry"

You could use a few more things. You need to add a long sleeve shirt and long sleeve base layer top. Add sun screen, there will be no shade for a month and people get sunburnt if they don't wear long sleeve shirt or use sun screen. How about a ball cap or bandana for the head? Pack towel or extra bandana to wipe wet things down? Knife? Bottle of New Skin for blisters? Roll of TP? (wet wipes alone won't cut it and should not be disposed of in the woods, even dry and if used dry, they loose their anti-bacteria properties). Underware - briefs or boxers?
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 10-04-2016 at 11:17.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by The Roaming Gnome View Post
    I see that. I'm going to mention that to Gear Grams and see if they can make that an option.
    It is something you can change...down at the bottom of the screen there is a drop-down where you can select which unit of measure you would like to display. Choosing one will change it for the rest of the chart.

Quote Originally Posted by captike View Post
    It is something you can change...down at the bottom of the screen there is a drop-down where you can select which unit of measure you would like to display. Choosing one will change it for the rest of the chart.
    Yes but when you change it to grams, it only gives you the total grams for each category not for the individual items in those categories. I think that's what jjozgrunt was pointing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Nice set of gear, getting to sub 10# base weight takes some good knowledge and some Benjamins.

I like the "Wet Wipes - dry"
    Most of the gear I had already. Without going in to boring details I couldn't cut any more weight off of my light weight hammock setup so I decided to go with a tent. I'm a big fan of Zpacks and their products definitely shave the ounces and grams. Unfortunately it's not cheap. If for some reason I don't complete the trail it won't be because of the gear I'm carrying. Add some water to the wet wipes and your good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You could use a few more things. You need to add a long sleeve shirt and long sleeve base layer top. Add sun screen, there will be no shade for a month and people get sunburnt if they don't wear long sleeve shirt or use sun screen. How about a ball cap or bandana for the head? Pack towel or extra bandana to wipe wet things down? Knife? Bottle of New Skin for blisters? Roll of TP? (wet wipes alone won't cut it and should not be disposed of in the woods, even dry and if used dry, they loose their anti-bacteria properties). Underware - briefs or boxers?
    The long sleeve mid layer and buff are on the other list, Worn Weight. I'll add a small amount of sunblock. The wipes are made from bamboo. Break down in 30 days. I'm not carrying moleskin. I hiked the Ga and Nc sections last year and never used it. Never got blisters using the socks I wear. If I do, I'll use the KT Tape. I may add a long sleeve base like you suggested. Thanks
    Last edited by The Roaming Gnome; 10-04-2016 at 12:23.

Quote Originally Posted by The Roaming Gnome View Post
    Yes but when you change it to grams, it only gives you the total grams for each category not for the individual items in those categories. I think that's what jjozgrunt was pointing out.
    Oh, I gotcha. I thought he was drawing attention to the fact that there is a mix of the metric system and imperial.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++