WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default BMT thru hike questions

Planning a NOBO thru this spring/summer. Just got SGT Rock's 2014-2015 thru-hikers guide. Are other guides/maps recommended? I'd appreciate any advise on resupply options heading north. I know the guide covers such things but am looking for suggestions. I typically carry 3-5 days worth of food between resupply and hope to do 15-20 mile days. Any other advise or must see sights along the trail would be appreciated!
    "No Worries" 2015 GA-ME; 2016 LT End-to-End

I strongly advise getting the maps (I used NatGeo 771 Springer/Cohutta,781 Tellico/Ocoee and 229 GSMNP) and carrying a compass. Unlike the AT, they are not a luxury and you will consult them frequently. Resupply is good in Ducktown and Blue Ridge. I would get a maildrop in Reliance and resupply in Fontana before the Smokies. If needed, it is very easy to get into Cherokee via public transport from the Smokemont CG but by that point you are almost done. I suggest spring rather than summer. Last year water was getting hard to find in spots and I went in early June. Plus the BMT can get overgrown in places the later you go (I always hike it in late May/early June - I never wear shorts on the BMT. It's just not the well worn footpath that the AT is). It's a great trail and just a different experience from the AT. On 3 different trips I have met only 3 other hikers! so, if you like the 'social' scene of the AT, you will not have that at all on the BMT - which is why some of us love it.

I have never hiked the BMT before, but I am starting a thru hike in late March. I am taking SGT Rock's guide, Nat Geo maps 777 and 781 for the trail up to Fontana, and then just the little $1 NPS trail map for the trail in the park. Be sure to print out the updated pages for the guide here. I am also taking some information from the BMTA site found here.

My re-supply plan is Blue Ridge, Reliance, Fontana, and Cherokee with mail drops at Reliance and possibly Fontana. My hope is to eliminate the more difficult hitches as this is not the AT. Blue Ridge is 4-5 miles off the trail and can be walked while hitching if necessary. We've had a little discussion of re-supply in another thread I started.

Evan, "Evan's Backpacking Videos" on YouTube, thru'd the BMT last year. Here's the playlist- there's some good info in there.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...M65G86GmnRVoaW

Another endorsement for having both the Sgt Rock guide -and- the NPS maps and a basic compass. A zipper/button compass is perfectly adequate, just something so you can confirm your sense of direction at any time. I fell back on the map and compass several times, something I've never really needed to do on the AT.

Oh, and check out Reliance Fly and Tackle as you go through. You can camp in their backyard for a small fee and they'll cook up large burgers any time you need them. Pretty sure I bought three of them the night I was there. Nice people.

Thanks all. Just ordered the maps and will refresh my compass skills. Hope to be on the trail on or before mid-April. Thanks again!
    "No Worries" 2015 GA-ME; 2016 LT End-to-End

I just received the 3 part AntigravityGear Pocket Profile maps. Lots of information. It looks like they will be useful for planning and I will definitely take them along for the hike.

BMTA site is loaded with solid beta.

Here's the BMTA resupply info. http://www.bmta.org/resupply.htm It's all most would need for resupply info.

Grab the Nat Geo TI maps too to get the little and big picture.

Check back at the BMTA site for the latest BMT beta as the site is regularly updated by many committed to the trail. It's nice hike away from the shelters and crowds. Fishing opps are available on the BMT. .

Shameless self-promotion. I created a video, virtual guide of the entire BMT based on my limited knowledge and skill. It shows all the major attractions, views, campsites, confusing intersections, water sources, etc etc. I basically hoped to turn Sgt. Rock's guide into a video guide.

If you'd like to take a look, click on the link in my signature line.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

I just pulled 14 days on the BMT heading north on a 19 day trip and carried one load of food the whole way---of course I didn't do high mileage days but the one food load saved me from having to deal with civilians and folding money and food resupplies and car traffic.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    Shameless self-promotion. I created a video, virtual guide of the entire BMT based on my limited knowledge and skill. It shows all the major attractions, views, campsites, confusing intersections, water sources, etc etc. I basically hoped to turn Sgt. Rock's guide into a video guide.

If you'd like to take a look, click on the link in my signature line.
    I'm thinking we might like to do the BMT one day, so I clicked on your video link just to see what's there. I was surprised to see 17 separate videos, most 13-15 minutes long, and picked one at random. I only watched about 5 minutes, but I can easily see that's there's a lot of information available. Good job, AO2134!

++ New Posts ++