WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I'm Going To Thru Hike The CT This Year!!!!!!!!!

My vacation was approved and I just made my flight reservation to Denver. Flying into Denver Sunday July 2 and hope to hit the trail the same day by late afternoon. I can not describe how excited I am, this was a far off dream a year ago that is now turning into reality. I would like to once again thank the members here for all the help and insight they have given me. I also look forward to meeting fellow hikers, trail angles and others along the CT. I will share in this experience on trail journals.com and here too.

Images

Outstanding! I hope you have a fantastic time in this wonderful state.

You're start day sounds perfect. You'll be hiking thru those heavy bike traffic sections, 2-3, on weekdays. You'll be in section 6 on a weekend, and thats a popular bike section too, but at least 6 isn't gravelly like 2 and 3, making bikes less able to stop.

Post a link of your journals, and if we're nearby, we'll keep an eye out!

Don't forget to allow some time to acclimate. Have a great hike!

Here is a link to my journal http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=20697 This is the first time I've tried to keep a journal on-line so I'll do my best to keep it up dated while on trail. Any suggestions on the best way to do that? And once again colorado_rob and Cookerhiker thank for your help and advice.

Sadly it's looking as though my CT thru-hike is going to have to be postponed and pushed back a few more years...yet again as my parents have changed their plans and I have no one else to watch my dogs for the time I am on the trail. I'm pretty bummer about this but it's still on my to-do list, to do asap. Of course, things may still change and work out, but I am having to make other plans at this time

Images

Major bummer Dune! But I thought you had good hiking dogs??? My memory fades with age...

Miles: I kept a trailjournal log for 700 miles of my first AT, not that hard to do from a phone, and lots of coverage these days. I kept little notes in my AWOL guide, filled in TJ at town stops or sometimes on the trail itself.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Major bummer Dune! But I thought you had good hiking dogs??? My memory fades with age...

Miles: I kept a trailjournal log for 700 miles of my first AT, not that hard to do from a phone, and lots of coverage these days. I kept little notes in my AWOL guide, filled in TJ at town stops or sometimes on the trail itself.
    I do. It's not the miles I would worry about since I have no doubt that they can handle that better than me, it's my ability to carry the amount of water I would need for the three of us in some of the long, waterless sections.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Sadly it's looking as though my CT thru-hike is going to have to be postponed and pushed back a few more years...yet again as my parents have changed their plans and I have no one else to watch my dogs for the time I am on the trail. I'm pretty bummer about this but it's still on my to-do list, to do asap. Of course, things may still change and work out, but I am having to make other plans at this time
    Why not take them...worst case Wagin tails was a great boarding facility in Poncha springs if they need off trail....great folks and probably make ya a good deal if longer term.....dogs were allowed on Chafee shuttle free of charge. I'd go for it...flea bags in tow.....as they appear ready for the trail...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Why not take them...worst case Wagin tails was a great boarding facility in Poncha springs if they need off trail....great folks and probably make ya a good deal if longer term.....dogs were allowed on Chafee shuttle free of charge. I'd go for it...flea bags in tow.....as they appear ready for the trail...

I'll keep thinking about it and will make it work if I can. Thanks for the encouragement

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I do. It's not the miles I would worry about since I have no doubt that they can handle that better than me, it's my ability to carry the amount of water I would need for the three of us in some of the long, waterless sections.
    Might be a really wet year, with iffy water place flowing nicely, stay tuned.... it has been pretty warm and dry lately, that could change instantly, and as has been said many times, our snowiest months are yet to come (March/April).

As I'm sure you know, dogs are not allowed in Waterton Canyon because of the prevalent big horn sheep population there. You would have to do that alternate start form Indian Creek, or just skip section 1 altogether, both cases you'd need a ride. There would be a slim chance I could help, but we're gone a lot this summer, let me know your start date and either my wife or I might be able to give you a ride from the Waterton parking lot (decent place to leave car) to either Indian Creek or the section 1/2 junction on the Platte river.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Might be a really wet year, with iffy water place flowing nicely, stay tuned.... it has been pretty warm and dry lately, that could change instantly, and as has been said many times, our snowiest months are yet to come (March/April).

As I'm sure you know, dogs are not allowed in Waterton Canyon because of the prevalent big horn sheep population there. You would have to do that alternate start form Indian Creek, or just skip section 1 altogether, both cases you'd need a ride. There would be a slim chance I could help, but we're gone a lot this summer, let me know your start date and either my wife or I might be able to give you a ride from the Waterton parking lot (decent place to leave car) to either Indian Creek or the section 1/2 junction on the Platte river.
    Yeah, same weather here in Wyoming. I will keep that thought it mind regarding the amount of water since we are also having an epic winter. I guess I'll make a final decision closer to the time when I know what water levels are going to be like.

I'm hoping to start sectioning the CT this year myself. Have fun out there and take lots of pictures.

Images

I pretty much decide yesterday that the CT may be my big hike this year. Looking at roughly a June 29th thru July 15th window Denver to Durango. Mag's site is a great resource for logistically info. CUdos to him.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I pretty much decide yesterday that the CT may be my big hike this year. Looking at roughly a June 29th thru July 15th window Denver to Durango. Mag's site is a great resource for logistically info. CUdos to him.
    Why so slow Malto? 15 days....why not break JZ new fkt.....

DuneElliot sorry your plans fell through but it sounds like you may still have options out there. I hope to see you out on the trail.

I will most definitely take lots and lots of pictures while I'm hiking jpolk84.

Malta, I agree Mags site is a huge help and invaluable source of great info. His site was one of the first one I went to when I started thinking "maybe I could do this hike".

colorado_rob, once again thanks for chiming in on keeping an on-line journal, I really want to keep it up to date while on trail. It would be great to bump into you along the trail, thats one thing I'm looking forward to is meeting people.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Why so slow Malto? 15 days....why not break JZ new fkt.....

I met John on his record attempt last year. No thanks, records aren't for me. My goal is to do this without eating all of my vacation so I can take a very understanding wife someplace cool.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I met John on his record attempt last year. No thanks, records aren't for me. My goal is to do this without eating all of my vacation so I can take a very understanding wife someplace cool.
    Man you've got it figured out...that's exactly the reason for my faster pace trips! Kids, wife and life in general make it hard to get out! I wish I could pull off CT that fast but my short stocky self would die! Hoping to pull off in 3 weeks if she'll sign off on it! I'll definitely be on the hook to take her somewhere nice!

Sounds awesome Miles. I will be out there in the collegiate peaks wilderness the last 2 weeks of August into September. Good luck out there.

Yes, Mags' online guide is a gem. I relied on it heavily for my 2011 thru-hike. He's the go-to guy for all things Colorado.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Collegiate west.
    I hike with a dog. Please, tell me why i shouldn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++