WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recommendations for a 2 person shelter?

Hey all,

Any thoughts on what the ideal 2 person shelter would be for a CT thru hike starting around mid July? I was thinking a duomid (no inner), but I am hearing that mosquitos can be pretty bad in July, so now I am thinking a SW tent might be my best bet. Any thoughts?

I asked similar question few months back.....I'm taking cuben duomid with the 2.9 oz STS bug pyramid and piece of poly..bug net not bad if staked out or clipped to mitton hooks already in mid..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Depends. For us, the main things we want in a 2-person tent are interior volume and light weight. Also important are two doors on the long sides (easier to get in and out), and good vestibules. We don't care about single vs double wall, or freestanding.

The three commonly recommended 2-person tents are the Tarptent Double Rainbow, the Lightheart Gear Duo, and the Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo. Lately the Zpacks Duplex and Triplex can be added to the list. (See here for a photo comparison of the first three.)

We've owned three of these tents. The best, for us, were the Lunar Duo, which is just simply the best interior volume of any 2-person tent we've ever seen, and the Triplex, which is similar in design but over a pound lighter. The Lunar Duo is a bit tricky to set up, but it's easy to use the doors, has two great vestibules for gear, and the interior room is just amazing. The Zpacks Triplex is wider, with similar headroom, and easier to set up, but the doors are a PITA to open and close. (The Duplex is just a narrower version of the Triplex, easier to fit in small tentsites but less room for gear and people.) The Lunar duo is less than half the price of the Triplex and gets my vote as the best buy for a hiking couple. The Lunar Duo kept us dry and happy in some serious thunderstorms over the years -- we finally passed it on to a friend and got the Triplex to save the extra weight, but I will miss it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Depends. For us, the main things we want in a 2-person tent are interior volume and light weight. Also important are two doors on the long sides (easier to get in and out), and good vestibules. We don't care about single vs double wall, or freestanding.

The three commonly recommended 2-person tents are the Tarptent Double Rainbow, the Lightheart Gear Duo, and the Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo. Lately the Zpacks Duplex and Triplex can be added to the list. (See here for a photo comparison of the first three.)

We've owned three of these tents. The best, for us, were the Lunar Duo, which is just simply the best interior volume of any 2-person tent we've ever seen, and the Triplex, which is similar in design but over a pound lighter. The Lunar Duo is a bit tricky to set up, but it's easy to use the doors, has two great vestibules for gear, and the interior room is just amazing. The Zpacks Triplex is wider, with similar headroom, and easier to set up, but the doors are a PITA to open and close. (The Duplex is just a narrower version of the Triplex, easier to fit in small tentsites but less room for gear and people.) The Lunar duo is less than half the price of the Triplex and gets my vote as the best buy for a hiking couple. The Lunar Duo kept us dry and happy in some serious thunderstorms over the years -- we finally passed it on to a friend and got the Triplex to save the extra weight, but I will miss it.
    I currently have a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2, which checks a lot of boxes for us but I'd rather go lighter. Maybe I'll consider the duplex or duomid + inner. The only thing that I don't like about the mid style is the pole right in the middle of the living space.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I asked similar question few months back.....I'm taking cuben duomid with the 2.9 oz STS bug pyramid and piece of poly..bug net not bad if staked out or clipped to mitton hooks already in mid..

How much does that set up weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by TrappedInsideACube View Post
    How much does that set up weigh?
    Cuben duomid Mid=14oz
    Solo net actually could possibly fit 2 on reg pads=~2.9oz
    Polycro=2oz

Obviously stakes, stuff sacks not Inc as I'm just giving advertised weights...I don't carry sacks anyway....I like the duomid for versatility so far but I haven't had very long only a few nights use so far.

Cuben duomid Mid=14oz
    Solo net actually could possibly fit 2 on reg pads=~2.9oz
    Polycro=2oz

Obviously stakes, stuff sacks not Inc as I'm just giving advertised weights...I don't carry sacks anyway....I like the duomid for versatility so far but I haven't had very long only a few nights use so far.

The versatility is a huge selling point. I might just sell my current shelters and spring for a cuben duomid.

My Zpacks Duplex weighs 23 ounces including stakes and bags. It has a built in floor, two doors, and is insect proof. I have about 1300 miles on mine and it is still in good shape. (If you don't use trekking poles add 4 ounces for carbon fiber poles.)
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    My Zpacks Duplex weighs 23 ounces including stakes and bags. It has a built in floor, two doors, and is insect proof. I have about 1300 miles on mine and it is still in good shape. (If you don't use trekking poles add 4 ounces for carbon fiber poles.)
    What sections on CT tend to be more buggy?

What sections on CT tend to be more buggy?
    The CT can be almost bug free some years, then very buggy other years. It all depends upon where and how fast things dry out during the summer months. The area I have found to be the worst is from Lujan Creek to Spring Creek Pass. (Segments 18-21) Besides mosquitos, I have encountered biting flys in Segment 19 on several of my hikes.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    I ended up deciding on a duplex also!

++ New Posts ++