WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

My CT thru is lining up nicely. Got my plane tickets, rented a car, know where I'm going and know how I'm getting to the trail. CT map/guide/databook should be here any day and I'm hoping Yogi's CT book is released in time for me to get a copy of that for planning.

Pretty excited about it! July 22nd.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Have a blast! I am not sure where I'll be around your start date...but if you see a short, bald guy at Waterton Canyon greeting you, you'll know why.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

10-K, most likely won't see you along the trail but ya never know, glad everything is going well with your thru hike planning. Are you going to keep an on-line journal and if so could you post it's link?

Mags, I think your post was for 10-K but if I see out there I'd love to shake your hand and personally thank you. Your online guide has been extremely helpful in my planning.

I'm planning on being out there around the first of July!

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    My CT thru is lining up nicely. Got my plane tickets, rented a car, know where I'm going and know how I'm getting to the trail. CT map/guide/databook should be here any day and I'm hoping Yogi's CT book is released in time for me to get a copy of that for planning.

You're starting at the perfect time! My 2011 thru-hike began July 24 and I'd do it again in same timeframe.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Did you end up buying Yogi's book? Just curious if it's worth getting in addition to the CT Data book.

Quote Originally Posted by TrappedInsideACube View Post
    Did you end up buying Yogi's book? Just curious if it's worth getting in addition to the CT Data book.
    I did. It's very helpful with regards to resupply options - tips and whatnot. Definitely worth the money if you want detailed info.

I did. It's very helpful with regards to resupply options - tips and whatnot. Definitely worth the money if you want detailed info.
    After reading it where did you decide to resupply? Mailing resupply or buying as you go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well... as of now I'm thinking...

Bailey
    Frisco
    Leadville
    Salida
    Creede
    Silverton

Either that or start with enough to get to Frisco and wing it. Resupply looks fairly easy. I'll mail a pair of shoes somewhere.

I skipped Baily, nothing there and hard to get to. There were a lot of cars in the parking lot where the trail crossed the dirt road to Baily, I suppose one could bum a ride late in the day from returning mountain bikers or day hikers. Jefferson was an easy hitch, went there just to get water since the campground was closed and the water was turned off (or at least I couldn't find any). I got dinner at the little store, but had to beg to get my water bottle filled. I guess the owner really wanted to sell me a $3 gallon of bottled water.

You might what to go to Breckenridge instead of Frisco. I went to both since I needed to get to Frisco for the bus back to Denver. Breckenridge has the hostel, but Frisco has a Walmart and large shopping center. Free bus to either one. Both are serious tourist towns.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Bailey
    Frisco
    Leadville
    Salida
    Creede
    Silverton

Either that or start with enough to get to Frisco and wing it. Resupply looks fairly easy. I'll mail a pair of shoes somewhere.
    if your staying overnight in Leadville I highly recommend the Leadville hostel....great place but not sure how hard to get to as I drove to it last year.

I'm thinking I'll mail boxes to...
    Days
    Start IC
    5-Breck-bivii
    3.5-Twin
    3.5-MC
    2-Hwy 114-Meet apple afternoon ride w him back to gunny to wanderlust hostel then back with him in morn.
    5-Molas lake cg or hostel
    4-to Durango...day 23
    Anyone one have any feedback with this strategy?

I was not thrilled with the prices at Molas Lake Campground. But that might be normal for the tourist neighborhood. You might also need a reservation.
    I wish I had the fitness to hike the CT on the Anish Plan.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I was not thrilled with the prices at Molas Lake Campground. But that might be normal for the tourist neighborhood. You might also need a reservation.
    I wish I had the fitness to hike the CT on the Anish Plan.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Just a resupply box not planning to stay.....I'm no marathon runner so over 20 mpd for 23 straight will be a challenge for my short stocky arse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Just a resupply box not planning to stay.....I'm no marathon runner so over 20 mpd for 23 straight will be a challenge for my short stocky arse!!!

That's cool. The climb from the river to the highway might be eye opening. You'll be broke in, or just broke, by then.
    Good luck!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Bailey
    Frisco
    Leadville
    Salida
    Creede
    Silverton

Bailey - skip (you are easily strong enough to carry to Frisco/Breck)
    Frisco - works or Breck has large supermarket as well.
    Leadville - works, nice hostel (loaner bikes to ride to supermarket) and was easy hitch
    Salida - I did trail over 2 years so didn't need this re-supply. But, if/when I do again will probably hitch into Buena Vista or maildrop to Mt Princeton Hotsprings. Seems a bit far for my liking if there are viable options.
    Creede - Was easy hitch from TH. Nice little town.
    Silverton - expensive little market. I didn't get down to the Conoco to see what they carried.

Just my thoughts.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    That's cool. The climb from the river to the highway might be eye opening. You'll be broke in, or just broke, by then.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

I actually didn't find that the climb to Molas Pass was too difficult. It's nicely switch-backed, you're in good trail shape by then, and compared to your previous week, it's at a relatively low altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Bailey - skip (you are easily strong enough to carry to Frisco/Breck)
    Frisco - works or Breck has large supermarket as well.
    Leadville - works, nice hostel (loaner bikes to ride to supermarket) and was easy hitch
    Salida - I did trail over 2 years so didn't need this re-supply. But, if/when I do again will probably hitch into Buena Vista or maildrop to Mt Princeton Hotsprings. Seems a bit far for my liking if there are viable options.
    Creede - Was easy hitch from TH. Nice little town.
    Silverton - expensive little market. I didn't get down to the Conoco to see what they carried.

Just my thoughts.

Salida is a nice little town with a WalMart and a Safeway, so it's a good place to re-supply. However, it's about 15 miles off the trail and it can be a bit of a nuisance to get a hitch.

The first time I hitched to Salida it took me almost an hour to get a ride as traffic on the road seemed to be dominated by large RVs with Texas licence plates. I was finally lucky to get a lift from a fellow who was going all the way to Buena, so it was easy for him to let me off in Salida. The second time that I hitched into Salida, I managed to get a hitch after about 10 minutes, but the lady was only going to Poncha Springs. I then needed to get a second hitch from Poncha to Salida (I was lucky again, and it only took about 5 minutes for the second part of the hitch). On both occasions, I paid for a shuttle to get back to the trail.

Silverton gets a bit of a bad rap because prices at the market are a bit steep. While that's true, I would not let the higher prices dissuade a future hiker from re-supplying there. Once you get to Silverton there's only about 75 or 80 miles of trail left to hike, so that's only about 4 days of hiking. Even with the high prices, a resupply isn't too expensive because you're not really buying very much.

frisco
    twin lakes
    salida
    lake city
    silverton
    durango (carver's)

bailey isn't a great choice as there isn't really a direct way in and out, and no grocery store.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++