WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Critter-proofing food

Hi all! Planning thru-hike summer 2017. Researching ways to critter-proof my food. I notice that a bear can isn't required, but I find hanging a bag to be a pain, and I'm not sure about available trees on the trail (camping above tree line, etc). Plus it doesn't seem than an Ursack is waterproof. My bear can weighs less than 2 lbs and i'm thinking the weight might be worth it for the peace of mind. Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks all!

A plastic bag inside my Ursack is waterproof.
    Since you already have a can might as well use it. Test it in the shower or bathtub or with a hose in the yard.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Garlic
    Images

Pack your food in such a way that it can get wet. Do not carry paper containers--repackage into reusable ziplocks.

If you camp in popular areas, like around lakes and streams, you should carry good bear protection if you can't hang your food correctly.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I usually carry a bear can, but sometimes just use a plastic pretzel jug... keeps food dry and keeps out small critters.

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

Zpacks blast food bag.

In many areas, hang it whether you like it or not. Some areas you don't need to.
    John GoodMan

I've only done the Collegiate loop but can't imagine carrying a can.....I hung my food probably half the time and slept on it the rest..I did buy a odor barrier bag to line my food bag with..never stayed at high use sites and never had any issues...... but if it makes YOU comfortable just carry it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Provisions and bear can in one.
    SUL and Ultra cheap.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Provisions and bear can in one.
    SUL and Ultra cheap.
    Without any emoticons, the OP might not know this is a joke. Do NOT use a pretzel package as a bear canister. I hope that's obvious, but you never know on the internet.

Used something similar for desert backpacking. The rodents, ravens and raccoons can be ruthless

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Pack your food in such a way that it can get wet. Do not carry paper containers--repackage into reusable ziplocks.

If you camp in popular areas, like around lakes and streams, you should carry good bear protection if you can't hang your food correctly.
    pack so your food ~~CAN~~ get wet???

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    pack so your food ~~CAN~~ get wet???
    pretty sure he means pack it so that if the packaging gets wet, the food stays dry.

Garlic
    Images

Yeah, that's what I meant of course.

The bear canister I used on the PCT was not water proof, either. It was hard to open even with opposable thumbs and pretty unbreakable, but it was not gasketed. With sustained rain or immersion, it would leak.

The only guaranteed dry place in my pack is where I keep my clothing and sleeping insulation, and I don't want to store my food there especially when I'm hiking in grizzly country. I let my food bag get wet whether it's stored overnight or in my pack. A few ziplocks, and it's one less thing to worry about.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I plan on using an old water jug for my trips. It wouldn't be bear proof but would stop a mouse or squirrel from getting in. I could hang it by the handle if I wanted and it is water proof.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikerfixit View Post
    I plan on using an old water jug for my trips. It wouldn't be bear proof but would stop a mouse or squirrel from getting in. I could hang it by the handle if I wanted and it is water proof.
    I sometimes use a plastic pretzel jug - same premise. Food is dry and safe from bugs and mice, but not anything bigger.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Saw something very similar at a Big Lots! last night for only $5.

I've hiked the CT twice and I just slept with my food, and had no real problems. The only issue was in 2014 I had a mouse chew through my pack to get at a Snickers wrapper on the Collegiate East section. Pissed me off to have a hole in my pack, but that's life. There's no guarantee that I wouldn't have had similar trouble if I had hung my food.

So that's my experience aftr ~60 days on the CT.

I've done the CT six times. I hung my food for the first four times and have used a Usack since. I have never lost any food to any animal, be it a rodent or a bear.

I encourage you to secure your food away from your tent. I am unconcerned about whether or not you get raided by a bear, but when bears become habituated to human food they eventually are destroyed by the wildlife experts. Many of them are destroyed in Colorado every year. As we say in Durango, "A fed bear is a dead bear."
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    I've done the CT six times. I hung my food for the first four times and have used a Usack since. I have never lost any food to any animal, be it a rodent or a bear.

I encourage you to secure your food away from your tent. I am unconcerned about whether or not you get raided by a bear, but when bears become habituated to human food they eventually are destroyed by the wildlife experts. Many of them are destroyed in Colorado every year. As we say in Durango, "A fed bear is a dead bear."
    Agree 1000%, too often these discussions surround the likely hood of a bear invading a tent to take the hiker's food. When you only consider your time spent and not the repetitive nature of multiple hikers staying in the same general area with bad food storage habits. Bears are smart, lazy and always hungry. Once they learn campsites are an easy mark, they return again and again. Eventually the interaction with humans results in their death.

Those who practice bad habits should spend a couple of nights in grizzly country to help change their minds.

I understand it's not meant to be used as a bear can... just a way to keep food dry, etc. Thanks for this suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++